Apple's Upcoming TV Service to Launch in 100+ Countries in 2019, Starting With the U.S.

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 23, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's rumored television service that is in the works to showcase its original TV shows will be available in more than 100 countries, according to a new report from The Information citing details obtained from three inside sources.

Apple is said to be planning to launch the service in the United States in the first half of 2019, with a global expansion to follow later in the year.

[​IMG]

According to The Information, Apple's original content will be made available for free to Apple device owners, a rumor we heard earlier this month from CNBC.

While Apple's content will be available at no cost, Apple will encourage users to sign up for television subscriptions from other cable networks such as HBO or STARZ.

Apple has reportedly started negotiating with content providers about what it will pay to carry TV shows and movies, but programming is not expected to be the same in each country. It is also not quite clear how Apple content will be positioned alongside content from third-party services.
    By making third-party content available via the streaming service and launching it in most countries around the world, Apple will be able to better compete with Amazon Prime Video and Netflix, both of which are available in 190+ countries.

Apple has more than a dozen original television shows in the works, and some with high-profile actors and actresses that are likely to attract a number of viewers.

Apple has also inked deals with Oprah Winfrey and Sesame Workshop for new television shows, including children's programs.

Article Link: Apple's Upcoming TV Service to Launch in 100+ Countries in 2019, Starting With the U.S.

2. WBRacing macrumors 65816

WBRacing

They will need to make some mega deals with some of the key providers. I find it hard to believe that their own content will come anywhere near the quality of Netflix and Amazon and with Disney doing their own thing as well, it would need to be spectacular for anyone to take on yet another subscription.

I just cannot see it being a big thing for them. Especially as they are almost certain to insist on people using an AppleTV box to make it happen. Mine hasn't been plugged in for months now and just gathers dust whilst my Chromecast works perfectly.

Very late indeed to this party.

3. johnyslats macrumors 6502a

johnyslats

Not sure why the need for a global rollout. If Apple can overcome rights issues to launch Apple Music day one in 100 countries and push out their own content simultaneously (such as Carpool Karaoke) there really isn’t any reason to delay first party content

4. asiga macrumors 6502a

Apple can base its core business on services (and in fact it already does, indirectly but effectively), but... by doing so it won’t be Apple anymore. It will be the new Google instead.

5. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

This rumor has been around for a very long time.

Details have changed, but it never seems to happen.

6. peterdevries macrumors 68040

peterdevries

"In 100+ countries"... With the rate that Apple is rolling out other features to countries outside the US, we in The Netherlands can expect this by the time the sun has expanded so far that it will consume Earth..

Still waiting for Apple Pay, TV Series, News etc etc....
    --- Post Merged, Oct 23, 2018 ---
    Their business models are completely different...

7. haydn! macrumors 6502a

The thing there is, Apple Music was easy(ier) for Apple because of their long standing relationships with record companies through iTunes. Both Apple and the record companies know the market is shifting towards streaming over purchasing, digtal and physical so it made sense for them to evolve what has been an incredibly succesful relationship with iTunes. Whereas, for movies and TV, Apple doesn't really have any existing relationships, as most non-music media content consumed in the Apple eco-system is through third parties.

8. matfsc macrumors newbie

Apple has always been strict about nudity and similar content. A partnership with STARZ would be curious, since they produced "Black Sails" a show that clearly goes against the policy Apple likes so much.

9. AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

Yes, once Apple takes a page out of Netflix’s or Amazon’s book by making original content, they will become the new… Google. o_O

10. Applestock macrumors member

Applestock

Giving away this premium content to hardware purchasers is absolutely a genius move. It will take a while to build up an appreciable catalogue, but soon the difference between an AppleTV and any other smartTV device will not only be about hardware capability (which is becoming increasingly less important beyond 4k and HDR) and software user interface, but a decision about the available content as well. AppleTV will become like the Mac in this way: The only piece of hardware that can run everyone else's software (entertainment content) AND it's own ecosystem of software (entertainment content)

11. Remy149 macrumors 6502

They also bout beats who already had a streaming service

12. uneeko1ne macrumors member

uneeko1ne

Hopefully they do something with bigger networks ( ABC FOX CBS Etc ) because my Directv now sucks and I only use it for certain channels others are not carrying yet

13. tillsbury macrumors 65816

If they can pull this off, it'll be a big deal particularly outside the US. In many countries (like little old NZ down here) there are pay subscription services such as Netflix, but they're very much niche and under-used compared to the US where people are used to paying for cable systems with multiple channels.

If the Apple TV came with a bunch of actually useful channels (rather than the endless dross that is usually provided free), it might be a significant option.

14. miflgr92 macrumors member

This is not meant to be snarky at all. I'm genuinely curious how this is going to work. I'm not exaggerating when I say everyone I know owns an Apple device. If the rumor is true that Apple's original content will be free for Apple device owners, then where does the money come from to keep producing content and further develop this streaming service?

15. prasand macrumors 6502

prasand

Hrm, is it really a competition if you don't even charge your viewers to watch it, when the others do? I can see this going down with a couple, like how Spotify claimed the app store fees were unfair.

16. The Don Onez macrumors member

I'm sure they won't shutdown their iPhone/Mac/... line up when this launches.

17. wigby macrumors 68000

Did you read the story? Content is rumored to be free.

Also, I think their quality will be higher than Netflix and Amazon based on my experience with those two services. I watch both of them everyday but there are so many new titles. Half of them are garbage but I keep checking back everyday so I don't miss a good gem. Apple seems to be aiming more for quality over quantity, at least at first. Netflix (mores than Amazon) has taken a spray and pray approach to original content releases.

18. IGI2 macrumors 6502a

IGI2

I feel you, bro.

In Poland we still don't have:
    - FREAKING QUICKTYPE KEYBOARD SUGGESTIONS (in Polish)*
    - Multilingual Typing (with Polish), Contextual Predictions in Keyboard, Emoji Predictions*
    - Siri in Polish
    - TV Shows in iTunes in Poland
    - ANY Siri on Apple TV (I EVEN CAN'T SET ENGLISH ONE(!))
    - TV app, News app
    - Apple Stores
    - Up-to-date Apple Maps
    - 3D buildings in Maps (even in the capitol)
    - Transit in Maps
    - Apple Pay Cash
    - Apple Music Gift Cards
    - Searchable Handwriting (Polish) in Notes**
    - Carpool Karaoke Season 2

** easily available and working great in MyScript Nebo https://www.myscript.com/nebo/ --- JUST BUY THAT DAMN COMPANY IF YOU CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT

* Available in Google and so many other 3rd party keyboards that I won't even bother to list them

/rant over ; )

So I don't know how I feel about that TV service...

19. johnyslats macrumors 6502a

johnyslats

Agree that the UK is unlikely to ever see 'bundled' content from third parties the same way US customers will but it's really no excuse for not providing Apple original programming day one using the existing setup used for Carpool Karaoke (no longer exclusive to Apple Music customers)

20. IGI2 macrumors 6502a

IGI2

But exclusive to TV app users, now.

Hence, not available in Poland.

So I guess I preferred it in the Apple Music. Now I can't watch it at all.

21. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Awesome, I am looking forward to it. I saw the full list of show details the other day and it seems impressive. Good stories, good writers, good actors. I think Apple is making the right move not saturating the market with more violence and nudity (not to say I don't like a ton of these shows). If you have a good story and it's well done, you don't need either to bring something meaningful to this market. If the rumors are true that this will be free for iOS/tvOS users, it's going to be huge for Apple.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 23, 2018 ---
    Increased sales of Apple devices. It's just another way (similar to free OS updates, free iWork apps, etc.) to draw people to Apple devices, which in the end will make Apple the most money.

22. bodonnell202 macrumors 65816

bodonnell202

Did you read this part? People won't need to take on another subscription, they'll just need to own an Apple device.

23. cardfan macrumors 68000

To be honest I hardly watch tv. Free content isn’t enticing me at all to buy apple hardware. Years from now it’ll be something they won’t talk about.

24. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

I think the content could be better. Apple has deep pockets and good connections with Hollywood (not to say Netflix or the like doesn't). From the early list of shows, you see very good writers, directors, and actors. Obviously it all needs to come together, but the opportunity is there.

25. sinsin07 macrumors 68040

Maybe:
    For ATV/Apple device owners Apple generated content is free.
    Everyone else, download Apple app on device of your choice and pay a subscription fee for same content, like Amazon.