Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's work on implementing 6G cellular connectivity on its devices appears to be ramping up, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

iphone-5g-mmwave-16x9.jpg

In the latest edition of his "Power On" newsletter, Gurman explained that Apple is increasingly turning its attention to 6G, even amid its widely reported difficulties developing a custom 5G cellular modem.

In 2021, the first highly specific Apple job listings with reference to 6G emerged. Now, a further job position for a Modem Systems Software Architect has appeared on the company's website that seeks an individual to "coordinate the design and modeling of a 6G reference architecture." Gurman says the listing is part of the company's growing push to hire engineers to develop 6G cellular technologies.

Carriers are already working on next-generation 6G networking. In late 2020, Apple joined the Next G Alliance, an industry group set up by the Alliance for Telecommunications Industry Solutions (ATIS) that seeks to "advance North American mobile technology leadership in 6G and beyond over the next decade, while building on the long-term evolution of 5G."

Some analysts say the technology could enable speeds more than 100 times faster than 5G, but the extent of its enhanced performance in the real world is yet to be seen. 6G is not expected to emerge on consumer devices until around 2030.

Article Link: Apple's Work on 6G Connectivity Already Expanding

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
But not using Apple’s in-house modem, right? Or 6G is the time Apple finally somehow build a custom modem chip themselves?

Reactions: thejadedmonkey

4odomi

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2018

Apple's work on implementing 6G cellular connectivity on its devices appears to be ramping up, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

iphone-5g-mmwave-16x9.jpg

In the latest edition of his "Power On" newsletter, Gurman explained that Apple is increasingly turning its attention to 6G, even amid its widely reported difficulties developing a custom 5G cellular modem.

In 2021, the first highly specific Apple job listings with reference to 6G emerged. Now, a further job position for a Modem Systems Software Architect has appeared on the company's website that seeks an individual to "coordinate the design and modeling of a 6G reference architecture." Gurman says the listing is part of the company's growing push to hire engineers to develop 6G cellular technologies.

Carriers are already working on next-generation 6G networking. In late 2020, Apple joined the Next G Alliance, an industry group set up by the Alliance for Telecommunications Industry Solutions (ATIS) that seeks to "advance North American mobile technology leadership in 6G and beyond over the next decade, while building on the long-term evolution of 5G."

Some analysts say the technology could enable speeds more than 100 times faster than 5G, but the extent of its enhanced performance in the real world is yet to be seen. 6G is not expected to emerge on consumer devices until around 2030.

Article Link: Apple's Work on 6G Connectivity Already Expanding
If 5G is anything to go by, 6G is nothing to shout about 😏

hieranonymous

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2023
It’s possible Apple’s realized its timeline for in-house 5G modems is still far-enough off that it makes more sense at this point just to shift those engineering resources over to 6G development. It’s amazing what a stranglehold Qualcomm has over the 5G space. It’s still too critical of a component for Apple not to want to bring it in-house, but it’s clearly a difficult technology to develop.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
It’s possible Apple’s realized its timeline for in-house 5G modems is still far-enough off that it makes more sense at this point just to shift those engineering resources over to 6G development. It’s amazing what a stranglehold Qualcomm has over the 5G space. It’s still too critical of a component for Apple not to want to bring it in-house, but it’s clearly a difficult technology to develop.
It’s going to be a fierce patent race between Apple and Qualcomm in the modem world, with Qualcomm having a leg up.

JohnnyApple$eed

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2015
Maybe it's just your WiFi? I have a 15 Pro Max, I haven't had any issues. If anything, I'm getting the max speeds in my home more frequently.
Lots of back up to this on Reddit and other sites and it’s been noted here in MacRumors too. I believe it has to do with tri-band routers. The phone drops signal often. I can’t augment my wireless frequencies with Orbi. I’m stuck between a $1,300 phone with an iOS issue and a $500 mesh network.

Reactions: akwho

LelandHendrix

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
How about they work on making an efficient 5G modem first? Qualcomm's modems are still incredibly power inefficient.
I thought this first too, but then with the development time involved…why spend more on what your competitor has already nailed instead of looking forward. Apparently these things have longer lead times than any other component.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
How about they work on making an efficient 5G modem first? Qualcomm's modems are still incredibly power inefficient.
Apple cannot even have a comparable prototype 5G modem after so many years, let alone an energy efficient one.

• Love
Reactions: DeepIn2U

Halmahc

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2023
Apple cannot even have a comparable prototype 5G modem after so many years, let alone an energy efficient one.
After so many years? Since when did Apple start working on their in-house modem compared to Qualcomm's decades in this field?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.