Apple's Workforce is Slightly More Diverse This Year

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Aug 3, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple has released updated diversity numbers that reveal its overall workforce, including tech, non-tech, and retail jobs, is 68% male and 32% female as of June 2016, a slight change from a 69%-31% split in 2015.

Apple profiled some of these employees, including Divya, Ryan, Adrienne, Aurelio, Edith, Riad, Charissa, and Kully, and shared a Creating Opportunities page highlighting its diversity programs and partnerships.

Denise Young Smith, Vice President of Worldwide Human Resources at Apple:
    Apple's race and ethnicity breakdown among U.S. employees is 19% Asian, 9% Black, 12% Hispanic, 2% Multiracial, 1% Other, and 56% White, representing a 2 percent increase in White employees and a 1 percent increase in both Asian and Hispanic employees compared to last year's data.

Females represent 37% of Apple's global new hires, while U.S. underrepresented minorities represent 27% of global new hires. Apple defines underrepresented minorities as "groups whose representation in tech has been historically low -- Black, Hispanic, Native American, Native Hawaiian, and Other Pacific Islander."

Apple said that it has achieved pay equity in the United States for similar roles and performance as of August 2016. The company said female employees earn one dollar for every dollar male employees earn, while underrepresented minorities earn one dollar for every dollar white employees earn.
    Apple has shared its recently filed Federal Employer Information Report EEO-1 [PDF], representing employees as of August 2015.

Note: Due to the nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple's Workforce is Slightly More Diverse This Year

2. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Hoping I'll get to be in that 9% in the future.

3. thisisnotmyname macrumors 65816

thisisnotmyname

Not PRSI? I'll get the popcorn...

edit: never mind, somehow I missed the message. Or it was moved. Actually, I'm pretty sure it was just moved quickly. Smart.

4. newyorksole macrumors 68030

A lot of companies are being more diverse it seems. Every Starbucks I go to in NYC has 95% non-white staff. Among other retailers.

Kudos.

5. phillipduran macrumors 65816

phillipduran

That's what I've been saying. Finally it appears we might actually be getting past the "too many whites" argument these diversity folks have been making and realizing diversity is a metric measured by individual character and not race, skin color sex or any other born into feature.

6. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

I would argue that Apple is TOO diverse.

Whites make up 72% of America, yet Apple has only 56%?
    Asians make up 4.75% of America, yet Apple has a whopping 19%?

7. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Yes, let's discuss the human experience. Greed is bad. Fleecing your fellow human is bad. Anyone want to talk about those or is it that only all white people are greedy or something, since despite being post-racial (term was first used in the early-70s or late-60s) and increasingly post-sexist since Thatcher won the UK vote, why don't we discuss what affects all people more than just physical attributes?
    --- Post Merged, Aug 3, 2016 ---
    Or not inversely diverse enough.

In other words,

*zing*
    --- Post Merged, Aug 3, 2016 ---
    A lot of people have. Yet many entities still focus solely on the superficial, maybe as means to get around other issues that are even more pertinent to the human experience but become uncomfortable. Wedge issues can be good.

8. IPPlanMan, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016

IPPlanMan macrumors regular

I'm with Morgan Freeman on this:

Mike Wallace: How are we going to get rid of racism until....?

Morgan Freeman: Stop talking about it.

Mike Wallace: ......

Morgan Freeman: I'm going to stop calling you a white man.

Mike Wallace: Yeah.

Morgan Freeman: and I'm going to ask you to stop calling me a black man. I know you as Mike Wallace. You know me as Morgan Freeman.

9. TimUSCA macrumors 6502a

TimUSCA

I completely agree with the sentiment, but let's remember that there are very talented people worldwide that move to California to work for Apple. That would skew the data a bit.

10. Blackstick macrumors 6502

Blackstick

Love how they show the retail side, where there is minimal issue.

11. nt5672 macrumors 65816

Your being too nice. After the last 20 years we now know that these numbers are indicative of pure racism, but it is the politically correct form of racism, so no worries. As long as the politically correct races end up on top or preferred, its not really a problem in the eyes of current racists.

12. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Well, I bet they're smarter than the white male I had to deal with six years ago. Complete parrot who couldn't answer how to turn off HTML ads after jubilantly saying how he turned off Flash because he didn't like the Flash ads, or explain why Apple Store would not carry certain versions of Adobe software other than "Apple has its own product and does not allow Adobe's competition". Smooth, that... I'm amazed antitrust and anticompetitve actions never took place against Apple.

13. miniroll32 macrumors 6502a

miniroll32

I will never understand the significance of reports such as this. Yes, diversity is a wonderful thing and shouldn't even be an issue in 2016 - but surely the person most qualified should be given the job, regardless of whether they are black, white, gay, straight or whatever you like.

14. jcmeyer5 macrumors 6502

Oh who gives a flying Rattata. Just hire good people. End of story.

15. unlinked macrumors 6502a

When people talk about a lack of racial diversity they usually just mean too many white people.
    That is why the overrepresentation of asians relative to the US population hardly ever gets a mention. In the context of internet companies anyway.

16. heeloliver macrumors 6502a

heeloliver

This'll be a civil discussion without any bias, racism, irrelevant points and anger.

17. Thunderhawks Suspended

It is a sad state of affairs that people still in this century can't get past putting other/any races into their personal perceived drawers.
    I know part of it is education and what was taught at home, so hopefully the younger generation
    will eventually do away with this.

Children do not start out seeing colors and race etc. until somebody points out the differences and feeds them stereotypes.

The braindead racists should just ask themselves: What does it do to me if somebody is of different color, race, sexual orientation etc. ? Hopefully they come to the conclusion: NOTHING!

We are here on earth for such a short time, that it is a total waste to obsess about people's differences.

18. RedOrchestra Suspended

NOW ... if only the Genius Bar would become more diverse and actually hired people who actually knew something about the product line-up ... that would be diversity personified.

19. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

It would be interesting to see the breakdown of applicants. Maybe certain groups of people aren't as interested in tech and therefore are "under represented".

20. IPPlanMan macrumors regular

But doing that would interfere with the narrative here and eliminate the need for the Diversity Report.

21. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68000

bladerunner2000

Sad to see meritocracy get ignored by top companies for the sake of pants to skirts ratio.

22. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502

That exchange is used by people but it starts from an incorrect premise that racism is recognizing someone's color. Real racism is oppression based on physical trait.

That's the spirit to end systemic racism!

23. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Just hired the best person for the job regardless of their skin color, ethnicity, gender or sexual preference. All this diversity talk just says Apple recruiters and hiring managers aren't able to objectively hire people based on who they think will be the best person for the job.

24. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

I doubt that is the case. Many hires at various places are of the buddy system, good old boys club especially when we are talking about executive positions. Go look at any Fortune 500 company executive employees list. If you see much if any diversity, I'll be shocked. If you see a woman, I will be surprised. Those are few and far in between. Why? Because the opportunities aren't there for various reasons. There are plenty of qualified women and minorities on this planet without question.

25. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Yet somehow throughout history the opposite has happened. The top positions in companies are mostly white males who aren't the majority in America. If you really want to reflect the US, then most positions should be held by white women.