Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

182018-soldout.png

Apple quietly posted a notice on their WWDC site that the developer's conference had sold out for 2009.

The news should come as no surprise to most as Apple's WWDC sold out last year as well. With the massive success of the iPhone App Store this past year, many expected interest in this year's conference to exceed last year's.

WWDC takes place between June 8-12th in San Francisco, CA. Apple is expected to reveal more information about the iPhone 3.0 SDK and Mac OS X Snow Leopard at the conference. Rumors also suggest that we'll also see an announcement about the next generation iPhone.

Article Link: Apple's WWDC 2009 Conference is Sold Out

dvince2

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2007
Canada
Remember last year's banner, "A land mark event in more ways than one" with the two bridges? I'm beginning to wish that Apple did what people were spectating; split in two. While this is supposed to be about developers for developers, I can almost say for sure that the keynote will be 80%+ iPhone 3.0, 15% "look at how well macs/iPods are selling" and 5% dedicated to "oh yeah... we're still working on snowleopardkthxbye"

*sigh*

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I realize this is a developers conference and not a trade show, but still it's good to see that people still care about these events with or without Steve Jobs being there.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
Remember last year's banner, "A land mark event in more ways than one" with the two bridges? I'm beginning to wish that Apple did what people were spectating; split in two. While this is supposed to be about developers for developers, I can almost say for sure that the keynote will be 80%+ iPhone 3.0, 15% "look at how well macs/iPods are selling" and 5% dedicated to "oh yeah... we're still working on snowleopardkthxbye"

*sigh*

not so sure about that... there's already been an event for 3.0. I think a lot of it will be about 10.6

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
I would have loved to go but it wasn't going to happen anyway, not with that pricing. Too bad, it's very expensive for the open source developer.

Ade-iMac-177

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
I realize this is a developers conference and not a trade show, but still it's good to see that people still care about these events with or without Steve Jobs being there.

I think Steve will be there. The keynote will be presented by Phil and there will be a "One more Thing" and it will be that Steve is back and he will walk out on stage to stupendous applause with a huge grin and a new product.

akacaj

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2008
NY
It sux to be a tech geek and live in NY. All the good stuff happens in the west coast. Would have loved to go this year if it wasn't cheaper to go to the bahamas!

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
This years WWDC will probably be boring...just like the past few have been. I predict most of it will just be re-stating with Forstall talked about last time when he demoed 3.0. I hope we at least get a Steve Update...

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
In a down economy the sell out is a great accomplishment. It speaks of developer interest for Apple's Mac OS X and iPhone OS :D

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I think Steve will be there. The keynote will be presented by Phil and there will be a "One more Thing" and it will be that Steve is back and he will walk out on stage to stupendous applause with a huge grin and a new product.

Possible, but if I was only willing to go to WWDC if Steve was there, I wouldn't risk it. WWDC has a lot to offer developers, but it's also pretty expensive.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
With OpenCL, Grand Central, Snow Leopard and iPhone 3.0 I can understand the interest and why it sold out. Developers want to be there to get their hands on this stuff.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Likely announcements:

1) 20 minutes of boring pie charts and graphs showing how great the Mac is selling.
2) Update on how App Store is doing. Update on how Macs are selling. Chart showing what percent run Leopard now.
3) Demo of Snow Leopard features. Multiple charts showcasing increased performance. BOOM! Release Date. BOOM! Price. *In that order, lol*
4) iPhone OS 3.0 features fleshed out. BOOM! Release date.
5) Announcement of new iPhone. BOOM! Availability. BOOM! Release date. BOOM! Price.
6) BOOM! Jobs walks on stage. Says "and here's the new iPhone in my pocket!"

7-9) Inaudible audio for about 3 minutes.

10) Q&A:
a) Verizon? Canned answer:"We have a great relationship with AT&T right now."
b) Netbooks?: Apple doesn't make cheap crap. Real meaning: "We'll announce something closer to the holidays. This isn't a hardware conference!"
c) Bluray?: We've healed a bit from the bag of hurt. Maybe next time?
d) Touchscreen device?: Fake!

Sorry to spoil it for everyone!
P.S. I wonder how accurate I will be... hmm. *saves post*

cookieme

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2005
Does anyone know if Apple will offer more tickets? Have they done this in previous years?

Thanks

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
Even though we probably expect it to be a yawner, everyone will definitely make an effort to tune into at least one live text feed somewhere!! :D

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007

It has nothing to do with them caring if Steve is there or not it's about the developers making money on their applications and they need to see where Snow Leopard is going.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
Time for a bigger venue

With apples recent expo cut backs i dont see that happening in the forseable feature but from what i expect to see are the following

Snow Leopard out late summer possible september

3.0 shows off the rest of the hidden features
New iPhone ( i think this may get its own event)
Steve Jobs is back.

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
Glad i bought my ticket 2 weeks ago :) Going on work's dime (mostly). WWDC is more than just the keynote. It is a weeks worth of learning and networking. Plus unlimited odwalla! Plus there is a usually a big party at the end. Last year Bare Naked Ladies performed. Best conference ever.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Does anyone know if Apple will offer more tickets? Have they done this in previous years?

Thanks

Rhetorical question. Can you really afford to go? Those tickets hit for $1500+. It's really for established developers in terms of going to the actual show.

Malfoy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
only reason I bought my ticket early was to get the 300 dollar savings. Didn't expect it to sell out till right before.

cookieme

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2005
Rhetorical question. Can you really afford to go? Those tickets hit for $1500+. It's really for established developers in terms of going to the actual show.

Thanks for your insight, but my question was a simple one and rather than answer it you gave an unfounded answer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.