Applesac - Think twice before ordering

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thesmoth, Jul 10, 2009.

1. thesmoth macrumors 6502

After reading all of the rave reviews on this site I ordered two applesacs from the US to be delivered to me in Canada (about $50 dollars canadian each). I just opened them up and I am very disappointed. They look nice but they are VERY thin. The thickness of each side of fleece is hardly enough to properly protect a fragile aluminum macbook (dents easily) inside of a bag filled with books and other items. I am worried about using this as the sole protection for my new 13" mbp.

2. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

im in toronto, and just got a neoprene sleeve from bestbuy

3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Moral of the story: Never order anything with a fruit and the word "sac" in the product name ;)

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

In my opinion, sleeves are more designed to protect against dirt and scratches, not primarily dents (although there is some protection).

I have the Incase neoprene sleeve and have no issues with it because that is my expectation of it.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

To be fair, just by looking at the Applesac on the website, it's easy to see that it isn't meant for serious protection but just a bag to carry it in which is stylish - nothing like the nylon padded sleeves you wold find at Best Buy or the Apple Store.

6. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Mine fits unreasonably loose, the thing slides around like 1-2 inches, it feels like its going to fall out when youre walking. If I were to buy again I would get something else. I wasnt expecting protection, but the fake wool inside it was a bad choice because it sheds so much and you get fibers all over your laptop. My main gripe is still how super loose it fits, I have to use a little sliver of velcro just to pull the flap tight enough to make it semi-secure, its ridiculous.

7. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

I am still having difficulty believing that people look for impact protection in general. If that's the case, you need a foam lined aluminum case - much like a gun case, or at least hard plastic. Why is it people think that any sleeve or snap on case protects something as fragile as this from impact? That's totally up to the owner. As for Applesacs, I wouldn't expect much from these just based on the images shown, anyway.

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

(+1) Exactly. Not to be rude or anything but there's nothing wrong with the sleeve, it's a good sleeve just not for you.

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

There are only a couple of companies that make actual cases that could even mitigate a decent amount of damages. Even the Booq Vyper is not really made for drops. The ColcaSac is made for those users who carry their notebook in their bags and want the added protection. As to it being loose, the ones I have seen were anything but that.

What are people doing that makes them so concerned with having a Fort Knox esk sleeve? I mean even the name "sleeve" makes it sound like it isn't going to be made for Mt. Everest.

10. ordo1980 macrumors member

Man, I just want a sleeve that will protect my mbp from getting dented by the big, heavy textbooks that will be in there with my computer. Will incase sleeve or booq taipan or booq vyper give me protection from big textbooks in my backpack? Not sure which is best or what will protect best against big heavy textbooks. Anyone? And yes, I've pretty much ruled out the applesac. I just doesn't look like it's very good protection-wise. But it IS very trend.

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You may want a hard case then if you are that worried about dents and such
    Sleeves are not really designed for this purpose

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

12. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

You know, I feel that in your situation, the Booq would be your best bet. I have looked at them and they seem to have compartments that are quite separate with heavy padding on the computer side.

13. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Any backpack that is made for carrying laptops will give you that protection from textbooks since it has it's own compartment. There is no need for an additional sleeve if you get those types of backpacks. If you have just a reg. backpack with no laptop compartment, then any nylon padded sleeve will protect it.

14. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Not so true. While my STM Large Loop featured an actual plastic shell on the bottom of the notebook case, the thing was so big that my MacBook Pro would just sorta wobble around in the respective case (you could have easily fit a second one in the compartment) My Booq bag is completely different.

As long as you just don't pile your books on the notebook any of them should be fine. It seems people want the ability to drop their bags on the ground without anything happening to their notebook. The AppleSac or the Incase or the Booq will protect it from textbooks, just not from drops - the key with any of these is finding something is snug, as the snuggier the better.

15. cababah macrumors 68000

I respect other people's tastes and whatnot but I gave the Applesac one look and that was enough.

Protection-FAIL
    Style-Epic FAIL (just my opinion)

I got one of those Tucano neoprene sleeves that has the anti-slip pocket and padded surfaces. Will it protect it from a large drop? Probably not but it allows you to be semi-rough with it when transporting it.

16. 1ne macrumors regular

The sac is not for me either. Protection and style = thumbs down.

17. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I guess there are some bags that don't offer it but the few that I've gone through, I haven't found a need for a sleeve. My current Victorinox bag is awesome and I don't ever worry about dents from books and other stuff I throw in my bag.

As for the Applesac, I find the black one very good looking while the rest not so much.

18. thesmoth thread starter macrumors 6502

I find it interesting that everything else I read on these forums was glowing about the applesacs, and how great they are and how soft and thick they are, etc... And now I actually buy one and everyone is like 'what are you talking about they are thin and terrible, etc..."

Good times.

19. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

That's how YOU saw it. Please don't blame others because you didn't do enough research. There are videos on YouTube of people who've bought it. TBH, it's quite plain to see what the Applesac looks like and how durable it would be in protecting the hardware from bumps and grinds. It's obvious it's just a sac to protect from scratches only. :p

20. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I thought I would just add. If you really want to protect against dents, the combination of a snug padded computer bag, hard shell and then sleeve will probably do the trick. I'm still lost as to what protection People are looking for though?

21. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I would recommend the Timbuk2 Coder bag. Lots of padding for my 15" MBP.

22. Kobra macrumors regular

Kobra

I use the LArobe Allure when I want to through my mbp in a backpack. It's made out of 5 mm thick "low resilience polyurethane". It might be what your looking for...

23. harcosparky macrumors 68020

We use the same sleeves, however they are used to protect the notebook from other items inside a case.

Wouldn't use the sleeve alone, unless it was to store a notebook at home that was not carried out of the house for use elsewhere.

My MBP is kept in an Incase Sleeve inside a Timbuktu case - not sure the name of it but I think it was referred to as a Messenger Case

24. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

I have the black AppleSac and I LOL'd at some of the posts saying theirs fits too loose (that's what she said.) Mine is so tight that I have to pull on my MBP to get it out (that's what she said.) :D

Really though, I *never* carry around my laptop in the AppleSac alone like the people do in the photos on their website. I have a zip-up carrying case that has much thicker padding and has a handle on top. Like others have said, the AppleSac is more for protection against scratches and nicks.

25. thesmoth thread starter macrumors 6502

Get over yourself. Watch the youtube videos, read the threads here, they are basically all positive.