Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queen6

macrumors G4
It's not just that the hardware is garbage, it's the absolute lack of 'care' Apple show towards customers spending thousands on a laptop that is worth (by cpu/memory standards) about 1/3rd or less of the price they charge.

I don't mind paying more for a better o/s than Windows and a better selection of apps - for my needs - than linux, but I also expect that price to cover superb customer service, and it no longer does.

The 2011 15" MBP dGPU debacle very much soured Apple for my liking. It was crystal clear to all that a significant issue existed, yet Apple did it's level best to ignore the situation until the company faced court action that it could not avoid or possibly win. Only to replace poorly designed components with same or worse refurbished items as a solution, with Apple showing it's true colours.

Today Apple is both cheap & greedy, with the customer being very far from it's priorities. To be honest Apple no longer deserves my custom. For the price of a 15" MBP it should meet my expectations within reason; I and others want ports that are relevant today, we want the battery capacity back to the maximum, we want keyboards designed for extensive use with sensible travel that are reliable, we want the faster SSD's, we want the P3 display's, we want TB-3 over USB C, we want the Touch Bar to be optional, required dongles & power extensions in the box, durable and usable hardware that's fit for purpose.

What we don't want is the current garbage, however well presented...

Q-6

johnr2

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2017
I've written a blog outlining my whole experience with Apple over this fault. I think it could be very useful to fellow victims of this problem.

I'm not allowed to post the link to the blog here for some reason.

Does anyone know if I am able to post a 3000 word post here? I'd rather not, but if I can't post a link then I don't see any other option if my experience is going to help others.

Otherwise, if anyone wants to know more, send me a private message.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
@johnr2 I think you need a minimum number of posts before you can post a link (it may be 10, common across many forums and you're now there).

As a point of info - I recently repaired a 2016/2017 MBP (I don't recall which) that had suffered a cracked screen. It was one that was mailed to me (I support a large corporation and one of few locations certified for Apple service) and I knew it was a cracked screen before it arrived but when it showed I discovered the cause. The individual had applied a sliding webcam blocker (like this one but not this exact one Amazon.com: Webcam Cover for Laptops/pad Devices: Computers & Accessories) and the crack originated right there. The tolerances on these computers are so tight, adding this amount of depth is just asking to crack the screen when pressure is applied in a bag. Yes, I realize the product photos show the product applied to a MBP.

johnr2

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2017
@johnr2 I think you need a minimum number of posts before you can post a link (it may be 10, common across many forums and you're now there).

As a point of info - I recently repaired a 2016/2017 MBP (I don't recall which) that had suffered a cracked screen. It was one that was mailed to me (I support a large corporation and one of few locations certified for Apple service) and I knew it was a cracked screen before it arrived but when it showed I discovered the cause. The individual had applied a sliding webcam blocker (like this one but not this exact one Amazon.com: Webcam Cover for Laptops/pad Devices: Computers & Accessories) and the crack originated right there. The tolerances on these computers are so tight, adding this amount of depth is just asking to crack the screen when pressure is applied in a bag. Yes, I realize the product photos show the product applied to a MBP.

I also used a web cam cover on my first macbook - the one which the screen cracked on - but, as I explain in the blog, despite Apple's initial claim this was the cause, other staff told me privately (ie, away from management) that it was clear in my case it hadn't. And as soon as the screen cracked, all the noises on the case stopped.

And as I also explain, Apple have now accepted there is a fault with some versions of this model. That's why they have replaced the screen on my second one (and remember, the screen on this laptop wasn't broken). The case was making lots of creaking sounds like the first one.

Now they have replaced the screen and - because the keyboard also developed a fault -the top case, and now I have no creaking or cracking sounds at all.

Yes, there are plenty of ways to break a macbook screen. But in my case, and many others with a late 2016 15" macbook with touch bar - the machine itself is faulty.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
The individual had applied a sliding webcam blocker (like this one but not this exact one Amazon.com: Webcam Cover for Laptops/pad Devices: Computers & Accessories) and the crack originated right there.

This is the exact reason I always go for a sticker if I happen to feel paranoid. This is not the first time I've heard about something like this happening, and knowing myself I'd just forget I latched some plastic contraption on my laptop and shut the lid without thinking about it, which, again knowing myself and my luck would probably obliterate the whole machine.

mdapple

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2012
Honestly I don't get why this thread is so long. The crack is lateral to the hinge, meaning that there was a piece of gravel or other hard object on your LEFT SPEAKER AREA and when you closed it you caused this crack. Sorry to be blunt, but end of story there is no other way this crack could have happened. Apple's customer service is and has always been top notch. There is no fault in the model. There is no fault in your unit. It was an accident, and unfortunately this is a costly accident, learn your lesson.

Reactions: HenryDJP

johnr2

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2017
Honestly I don't get why this thread is so long. The crack is lateral to the hinge, meaning that there was a piece of gravel or other hard object on your LEFT SPEAKER AREA and when you closed it you caused this crack. Sorry to be blunt, but end of story there is no other way this crack could have happened. Apple's customer service is and has always been top notch. There is no fault in the model. There is no fault in your unit. It was an accident, and unfortunately this is a costly accident, learn your lesson.

Sorry, you're replying to me but I can only hope you are talking about someone else - maybe the OP?

My noises were coming from various parts of the case. It had nothing to do with gravel in the left speaker area. If that was the case, why did Apple accept there is a fault on the second machine and repair the screen when it wasn't damaged? Why did they take the first one - with the damaged screen - back?

If there is no fault with the model why did the Apple store staff member in Spain I spoke to - before he saw my case notes - know straight away the problem I was describing after just a few words? And how did he then go on to describe it in detail, giving me the same information the senior telephone advisor in Scotland had told me? And why did he tell me it had been reported all over the world and Apple had instigated the screen replacement policy? (Again, the same information I had been told by Apple telephone support previously).

Sorry to be blunt, but it wasn't an accident. it wasn't my fault. And it didn't cost me anything for the replacement laptop or the repair except a lot of time, a lot of effort, petrol, toll roads, and time off from my business to deal with the pathetic Apple customer service.

If you want to read my story in detail, I can send you a link to the blog.

Reactions: Winston1994

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I also used a web cam cover on my first macbook - the one which the screen cracked on - but, as I explain in the blog, despite Apple's initial claim this was the cause, other staff told me privately (ie, away from management) that it was clear in my case it hadn't. And as soon as the screen cracked, all the noises on the case stopped.

In the case of the computer I repaired - it was clear the webcam cover was the cause, the crack was vertical directly adjacent to the applied "mod". In fact, when I returned the computer I did not include that device and the individual has not asked about it.
[doublepost=1504564308][/doublepost]
I'd just forget I latched some plastic contraption on my laptop and shut the lid without thinking about it

This wasn't just latched over the top to be removed when not used, it was adhered with double-sided tape!

johnr2

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2017
In the case of the computer I repaired - it was clear the webcam cover was the cause, the crack was vertical directly adjacent to the applied "mod". In fact, when I returned the computer I did not include that device and the individual has not asked about it.

That's great for the one you repaired but it doesn't reflect the facts of what happened to the two I've had.

Winston1994

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2017
If you look at the nature of the crack, seeing as it all spreads from one small area and radiates in all directions that's some type of impact to the screen. If you were to have an LCD crack from pressure on the lid you'd be seeing more of a large crack, but not the "bullseye" pattern.

i found this crack on my screen the other day....
it HAD NO DAMAGE wat so ever ....its just 5 days old.... i barely even used it
the service centre deemed it physical damage...and tasked me pay an impossible amount of money
there are no dents or marks on it ...please help me how to go forward with this...

Attachments

• 20170903_003923.jpg
    20170903_003923.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,003

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
the service centre deemed it physical damage...and tasked me pay an impossible amount of money
there are no dents or marks on it ...please help me how to go forward with this...
It is hard to see it was not accidental given the other cracks as it looks like a severe distortion would be required to form these in addition to the main crack(s)

I'm not doubting your word but it is hard to see otherwise

However I would try a different store or even send it back by post as a last ditch try

What a shame did you have AC+ ? did the guy log the issue ?

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017

Unfortunately, the only means forward is probably paying the insanely high replacement cost if you do not have AC+. If you have AC+, the screen replacement is $99. If not, Apple or an Authorized Service Provider may take pity on your case and knock a few bucks off the repair (but it will still be crazy expensive.) If you do not have AC+, you could always request that you be allowed to purchase it and then pay the $99 repair fee - obviously, the likely answer will be 'no' given that isn't how the plan is designed to work.

I've had a few MBPs come in where owners have claimed that the screens cracked without there being any damage. In several cases, the root cause was a small particle lodged on the speaker area when the system was closed, as there is so little clearance with these newer machines, and the glass is pretty delicate. IMO, the newer models are somewhat more susceptible to screen damage with normal usage as an outcome of the design change.

In the case of your system, the crack appears to have begun where the screen closes over top of the speaker (the area with the least amount of clearance, and no give unlike the keyboard, in a corner where the glass will flex the least before failing.) It would be difficult for a technician to not determine this as AD.

I strongly encourage customers to purchase AC+, or a reputable 3rd party repair/replacement plan, especially with the pricy MBPs. I'm crossing my fingers that you do have AC+, as $99 is easier to swallow than the alternative.

Reactions: Queen6

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
RE: Winston 1994 posted a pic in #110 above.

I can't see how that much damage could have happened "by itself".
Something was done to it.

Do you tote the MacBook around in a backpack?
A "fully loaded" backpack could produce enough pressure against the closed top cover to damage it, if one wasn't careful.

Did you close the display with something laying inside?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
please help me how to go forward with this...
It looks like some specific pressure point cracked the glass. Sad thing is, regardless of what may or may not happen, you may very well have to pay for the repair. Bring it into Apple and who knows, a manager may feel sorry for you and replace it for free (its happened before).

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Winston1994

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2017
RE: Winston 1994 posted a pic in #110 above.

I can't see how that much damage could have happened "by itself".
Something was done to it.

Do you tote the MacBook around in a backpack?
A "fully loaded" backpack could produce enough pressure against the closed top cover to damage it, if one wasn't careful.

Did you close the display with something laying inside?

no..never took it off my table even for once... i was still using my old macbook for work... i wanted to install ms office before i start taking it to work...
.. and " something was done to it" nothing was done to it.... i know it... i live alone... (to rule out other suspicions )
and to make that big a crack can u pinpoint the origin and explain how it extends in an awkward angle not to forget the isolated crack on the top right corner.. if it was physical damage it should leave some external evidence..
any information is highly appreciated...thank you
[doublepost=1504954506][/doublepost]
It is hard to see it was not accidental given the other cracks as it looks like a severe distortion would be required to form these in addition to the main crack(s)

I'm not doubting your word but it is hard to see otherwise

However I would try a different store or even send it back by post as a last ditch try

What a shame did you have AC+ ? did the guy log the issue ?

no AC+ unfortunately ... spent all my savings on this ...had no money left watsoever
[doublepost=1504954788][/doublepost]
It looks like some specific pressure point cracked the glass. Sad thing is, regardless of what may or may not happen, you may very well have to pay for the repair. Bring it into Apple and who knows, a manager may feel sorry for you and replace it for free (its happened before).

i live in India... the place i live in has only one store..... its some apple authorised reseller.. not apple itself
i went to the service centre again saw the crack got bigger...it looks like a block got separated.. how an a single point of pressure like apple said cause this?
Webp.net-compress-image (1) copy.jpg

[doublepost=1504954947][/doublepost]
Unfortunately, the only means forward is probably paying the insanely high replacement cost if you do not have AC+. If you have AC+, the screen replacement is $99. If not, Apple or an Authorized Service Provider may take pity on your case and knock a few bucks off the repair (but it will still be crazy expensive.) If you do not have AC+, you could always request that you be allowed to purchase it and then pay the $99 repair fee - obviously, the likely answer will be 'no' given that isn't how the plan is designed to work.

I've had a few MBPs come in where owners have claimed that the screens cracked without there being any damage. In several cases, the root cause was a small particle lodged on the speaker area when the system was closed, as there is so little clearance with these newer machines, and the glass is pretty delicate. IMO, the newer models are somewhat more susceptible to screen damage with normal usage as an outcome of the design change.

In the case of your system, the crack appears to have begun where the screen closes over top of the speaker (the area with the least amount of clearance, and no give unlike the keyboard, in a corner where the glass will flex the least before failing.) It would be difficult for a technician to not determine this as AD.

I strongly encourage customers to purchase AC+, or a reputable 3rd party repair/replacement plan, especially with the pricy MBPs. I'm crossing my fingers that you do have AC+, as $99 is easier to swallow than the alternative.

quote i got from apple was 1485$... taxes!!..i am going crazy

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
how an a single point of pressure like apple said cause this?
Right at the nexus of the crack, you see the impact damage. I'm don't want to get into an debate on what could have caused this because that's water under the bridge. You have a damaged laptop and ALL signs point to it being caused by the the user. Again, I'm not blaming you, but rather just pointing out that you really have no leg to stand on stating that you didn't do it.

Bummer, and it may very well cost you a lot to get it repaired.

Winston1994

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2017
Right at the nexus of the crack, you see the impact damage. I'm don't want to get into an debate on what could have caused this because that's water under the bridge. You have a damaged laptop and ALL signs point to it being caused by the the user. Again, I'm not blaming you, but rather just pointing out that you really have no leg to stand on stating that you didn't do it.

Bummer, and it may very well cost you a lot to get it repaired.
water under the bridge.. easy for u to say... i want to be completely sure abt this... should i stay scared even if i did replace the screen?.... i know for a fact its not physical damage ... regardless if it looks like a sea under the bridge... wat if the same things happens again... and people like u brush it off like its nothing

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
water under the bridge.. easy for u to say.
I'm not trying to sound cavalier about it, but rather point out arguing how it happened is moot. What you do beyond that is what is important.

should i stay scared even if i did replace the screen?
Why would you fear it being replaced? Please define what you'll be afraid of.

wat if the same things happens again
Examine your usage and handling.

and people like u brush it off like its nothing
I'm not brushing it off, I recommended how to proceed.

i know for a fact its not physical damage
If its not physical damage, what is it. The display panel is damaged, physically so I'm not sure what your point is. Something broke the screen. That cannot be argued because we have the evidence of a damaged screen.

Winston1994

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2017
I'm not trying to sound cavalier about it, but rather point out arguing how it happened is moot. What you do beyond that is what is important.

Why would you fear it being replaced? Please define what you'll be afraid of.

Examine your usage and handling.

I'm not brushing it off, I recommended how to proceed.

If its not physical damage, what is it. The display panel is damaged, physically so I'm not sure what your point is. Something broke the screen. That cannot be argued because we have the evidence of a damaged screen.
Examine your usage and handling
Examine your usage and handling
i hardly used it.... and i literally never handled it... u can call me a liar.... say watever u want...
i used my old one for 4 years never had a problem... now 5 days old.... and i apparently broke it myself...
at this point after 5 days of fighting i am not expecting them to help me out... i just want to know if there is any other way this could have happened ...
[doublepost=1504969886][/doublepost]
i hardly used it.... and i literally never handled it... u can call me a liar.... say watever u want...
i used my old one for 4 years never had a problem... now 5 days old.... and i apparently broke it myself...
at this point after 5 days of fighting i am not expecting them to help me out... i just want to know if there is any other way this could have happened ...

and the apple said they cannot give any report or mail regarding this issue ..like a statement.. and all i can get is word of their mouth..
and i have to talk to my seller because the issue is hardware....and apple support is not concerned for any hardware issues....

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
u can call me a liar.
Dude, relax.

I'm not calling anyone a liar. Lets step back.

Regardless of what anyone else things, the most important opinion is what apple thinks and how they're going to fix the laptop. I'm not interested in getting an argument, its a bummer your screen is broken, I was just trying to help, but its clear you're angry at my responses so I'll bow out of the discussion.

Good luck on getting it repaired

Reactions: Queen6

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
[doublepost=1504969886][/doublepost]

and the apple said they cannot give any report or mail regarding this issue ..like a statement.. and all i can get is word of their mouth..
and i have to talk to my seller because the issue is hardware....and apple support is not concerned for any hardware issues....
I feel for you, if you get the screen replaced as an out of pocket expense, maybe you could resell it at a loss and get back some of the money and don't bother with another Mac for a while.

Winston1994

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2017
Dude, relax.

I'm not calling anyone a liar. Lets step back.

Regardless of what anyone else things, the most important opinion is what apple thinks and how they're going to fix the laptop. I'm not interested in getting an argument, its a bummer your screen is broken, I was just trying to help, but its clear you're angry at my responses so I'll bow out of the discussion.

Good luck on getting it repaired
i am sorry i let it out on you...
apple has only resellers here... and the service is ridiculous... i had to travel .. wait and skip work for past week...
regardless sry.. i can see you are only trying to help...
thanks
[doublepost=1504971393][/doublepost]
I feel for you, if you get the screen replaced as an out of pocket expense, maybe you could resell it at a loss and get back some of the money and don't bother with another Mac for a while.
maybe the only option left.... so much for apples high standards

Cremerhm

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
The Netherlands
i am sorry i let it out on you...
apple has only resellers here... and the service is ridiculous... i had to travel .. wait and skip work for past week...
regardless sry.. i can see you are only trying to help...
thanks
[doublepost=1504971393][/doublepost]
maybe the only option left.... so much for apples high standards

This really sucks for you.. can’t commend on what happened but if you say you didn’t cause this damage I believe you.

Did you maybe buy it on a credit card? As far as I know most credit card company’s have some kind insurance if something happens to a device you bought with the card.

Another option: home insurance? Don’t know how it works in India, but in holland we would be able to claim it to the insurance company..

Winston1994

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2017
This really sucks for you.. can’t commend on what happened but if you say you didn’t cause this damage I believe you.

Did you maybe buy it on a credit card? As far as I know most credit card company’s have some kind insurance if something happens to a device you bought with the card.

Another option: home insurance? Don’t know how it works in India, but in holland we would be able to claim it to the insurance company..
didn't buy on a credit card...
i will look into home insurance.... hopefully that leads somewhere.... thank you

Reactions: Cremerhm

JesterAZ

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2017

WOW. You drop it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.