Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wicked271

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2010
Philippines
Hi, I'm currently using Imazing for Mac but after restoring the iphone/ipad, I have to wait for the phone to re-download all apps before I can restore the apps again and if I have lots of apps, it takes a very long time to download all the apps especially if internet is slow.

Is there any other apps that can make backup/restore easier using my Mac? That can restore my apps without re-downloading them first?

I don't use iTunes because I'm the go to in my family to backup/restore their new iPhones/iPad. I like using iMazing coz I can separate my family's backups and not sync my files with them but lately, it's taking me a day just to re-download all apps after restore.

I have a new iPhone I just restored from backup last night and it has only downloaded a few apps and still lots more to go! :( Any advice/help would be great! Thanks!

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
"...not sync my files with them..." - with iTunes you can manually select files to sync to each iPhone/iPad. I use it for backing up several devices, each with customised content.
It is also handy for migrating content to a new device.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
If you use iTunes on your Mac, you can download all your iOS apps first to your Mac and easily sync them to all the iPhones you own. I routinely do that and like you use iMazing to backup and restore. When iOS apps are stored on your Mac thru iTunes, you can re-sync them to your iPhones in minutes. No downloading required.

wicked271

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2010
Philippines
"...not sync my files with them..." - with iTunes you can manually select files to sync to each iPhone/iPad. I use it for backing up several devices, each with customised content.
It is also handy for migrating content to a new device.

If you use iTunes on your Mac, you can download all your iOS apps first to your Mac and easily sync them to all the iPhones you own. I routinely do that and like you use iMazing to backup and restore. When iOS apps are stored on your Mac thru iTunes, you can re-sync them to your iPhones in minutes. No downloading required.

Hi, thanks for your replies. I've used iTunes before for backup/restore but it also re-downloads all apps when restoring. Is it easier to use now?

Also, is it possible to just backup and restore my family's iPhone or ipad without iTunes syncing with my music/movies/apps in iTunes?

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Restoring is easy and fast but you have to download the iOS apps to your Mac first. They will be stored on your Mac in a separate folder by iTunes. Then when you attach your iPhone or iPad to your Mac, do a restore, the apps are quickly restored to them.

And yes, you can backup and restore your iPhones and iPad with iMazing without using iTunes or syncing.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Restoring is easy and fast but you have to download the iOS apps to your Mac first. They will be stored on your Mac in a separate folder by iTunes. Then when you attach your iPhone or iPad to your Mac, do a restore, the apps are quickly restored to them.

And yes, you can backup and restore your iPhones and iPad with iMazing without using iTunes or syncing.

Didn't they change this in iTunes recently? Something in the back of my head says iTunes no longer downloads apps. I can't quite remember.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Didn't they change this in iTunes recently? Something in the back of my head says iTunes no longer downloads apps. I can't quite remember.

I believe you are thinking of App Thinning that started with iOS 9. So some of the app may be local in iTunes, but that does not necessarily mean you can install it without access to the App Store to get the entire app.

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I routinely use iTunes (the App section) to update ios apps. They are then ready to copy to the iPhone or iPad when it is connected.
upload_2017-2-24_16-26-27.png

One tip is when you go to the app list for the device locate the first occurance of Update and press Command when you click on the Update button. This will update all updated apps in the list.
upload_2017-2-24_16-29-0.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-24_16-25-51.png
    upload_2017-2-24_16-25-51.png
    66.6 KB · Views: 161
  • upload_2017-2-24_16-25-57.png
    upload_2017-2-24_16-25-57.png
    66.6 KB · Views: 122
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.