Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kornelis

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2010
Amsterdam, NL
Princess, for most applications I use your traffic lights are fine, so I keep using your SystemAppearance.car with Allan's assets. Together with Colorful Sidebar the UI of my MacBook is much nicer. Thank you for all your work.

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
Awww, thank you, Korn ^.^ we're all trying to work together to bring back what a GOOD UI looked like! Hopefully in the end we escape the flat hell completely... just in time for 10.14 to release and break everything again -_-

Allan, look what I found! Lucida Grande system font patch for High Sierra! It works too, I'm using it right now.
Download macOSLucidaGrande

Kenneth.Fu

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2018
Allen, Princess. Thank you for all the work so far, i've been enjoying using a mixed version from both of your files. Modernized Retro Style. :D

167qamb.png

Files: http://tinyurl.com/ya6gzwsp

I also tweak the files a little bit to fix a texture pattern issue at the scroll bar on non-retina display that I seen.
xpcuxg.png

Reactions: bhtwo

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
This is gonna get confusing if we all start uploading .car files >.> I think we should all know well enough to install ThemeEngine and just upload our assets for it and say where the file goes :p

Kenneth.Fu

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2018
This is gonna get confusing if we all start uploading .car files >.> I think we should all know well enough to install ThemeEngine and just upload our assets for it and say where the file goes :p

Right, about the scroll bar, I change both horizontal and vertical bar's value of Left Edge from 7 to 8.
33yj0xw.png

Kornelis

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2010
Amsterdam, NL
Awww, thank you, Korn ^.^ we're all trying to work together to bring back what a GOOD UI looked like! Hopefully in the end we escape the flat hell completely... just in time for 10.14 to release and break everything again -_-
I'm not sure if I'm going to install 10.14 this or next year. As I understand it, in that macOS version Apple is going to ditch support for 32 bits programs. I have many programs that are still 32 bits. Some are not going to be updated and I don't want to buy new 64 bits versions of programs that run perfectly fine at the moment.

So if this is indeed the case I will be using your modifications for a couple of years. ;-)

Edit: I checked, the version after HS is going to "aggressively" warning users about 32-bit apps before eventually phasing them out all together. So it might not be as bad as I think.

Last edited:

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Oops, stupid filedropper! >O< http://www.filedropper.com/timemachineglyphpdf

A
bout the scrollbar, I thought those "lines" were part of the scrollbar :p it was a reference to the old candystripe/barberpole design OS X used on its scrollbars and progress bars.

I think that despite you having a lower res monitor that you need to match the old sizes. For some odd reason

I tried making the scrollbars have that look of the old style - just couldn't execute it that well. What I see on Retina and what is seen on non-retina is hard for me to notice. That's probably why everything I make is in beta

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
I think that despite you having a lower res monitor that you need to match the old sizes. For some odd reason

I tried making the scrollbars have that look of the old style - just couldn't execute it that well. What I see on Retina and what is seen on non-retina is hard for me to notice. That's probably why everything I make is in beta

The extra.menu files only have one size of PDF in them, theres no @1x and @2x versions though >.>

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
They're still only @1x due to my incredible laziness and lack of desire to re-draw them in high res with Flash >.>

Attachments

• Yummy Candy.zip
    9.4 KB · Views: 388

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
I managed to somewhat fix the Apple button in the Menubar. I couldn't figure out how to get the shiny finish on the Apple because everything in FlatOS™ is either black or transparent.

So I took the erase brush in photoshop and started trying to replicate the effect by removing parts of the glyph.... my version is pretty suck but its a start. Know where we could possibly find an official version with transparency, Al?

Screen_Shot_2018_01_23_at_3_35_25_AM.png

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
I managed to somewhat fix the Apple button in the Menubar. I couldn't figure out how to get the shiny finish on the Apple because everything in FlatOS™ is either black or transparent.

So I took the erase brush in photoshop and started trying to replicate the effect by removing parts of the glyph.... my version is pretty suck but its a start. Know where we could possibly find an official version with transparency, Al?

Screen_Shot_2018_01_23_at_3_35_25_AM.png

That’s genius. I don’t know of any official. You could use a mask in photoshop and use the keyboard to type in the Apple logo. Is it Alt-$ !?

cc333

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2018
Hi,

First post here....

This is neat! I've resisted upgrading past Mavericks because of the terrible flatness that has infiltrated OS X (it's bad enough on iOS!). I found some apps to do things like replace icons, and cDock to get a nicer version of the dock, so now it's tolerable, but having a theme like the one here would be really nice to have, and would complete the look!

That being said, I know next to nothing about ThemeEngine (didn't even know such a thing existed), and would prefer to just have the finished .car files that I could simply drop into place. Does anybody have those, and would they work on El Capitan?

Thanks!

c

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Hi,

First post here....

This is neat! I've resisted upgrading past Mavericks because of the terrible flatness that has infiltrated OS X (it's bad enough on iOS!). I found some apps to do things like replace icons, and cDock to get a nicer version of the dock, so now it's tolerable, but having a theme like the one here would be really nice to have, and would complete the look!

That being said, I know next to nothing about ThemeEngine (didn't even know such a thing existed), and would prefer to just have the finished .car files that I could simply drop into place. Does anybody have those, and would they work on El Capitan?

Thanks!

c

Hi!

I have one called Leopard-esque for El Capitan. It's been a while since I've tinkered with that particular file but I hope that it still works. If it doesn't, you should always have a backup near by. But now that I type this I think I have El Capitan ready to install that I could try out this theme in. ... please hang on for 30 minutes or so while I install that. I might even try updating this Aqua-Lick theme for El Capitan

The extra time was because of El Capitan taking its sweet time getting installed.

Anyway, I have here the Leopard-esqu([beta 2) theme for El Capitan. It's an older theme that looks like the image posted in this message minus the graphics issue on the Finder buttons on the right: http://jmp.sh/42GVuYT

Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 21.35.04.png

Last edited:

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
The Snow Leopard one we're all working on here is still a work in progress :p it will be as simple as dragging and dropping four .car files into your system but we're still having trouble with some of the art. The buttons in finder/apps for example need to be reskinned but we have this weird problem where if you make a window active/inactive multiple times the darn things start to slide down off the page!

Here's an Alpha of the version I'm using. It still has white buttons and is only made for Non-4K displays.
http://www.filedropper.com/aqua-licksnowleopardnikkialpha01

It goes in System>Library>CoreServices>SystemAppearance.bundle>Contents>Resources

Needless to say make a backup of the originals first, and you'll need to disable System Integrity Protection first or else the system won't allow you to modify these files at all.

Screen_Shot_2018_01_23_at_2_52_22_PM.png

Last edited:

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
Looks nice and clean ^.^

This is what the thing looked like against a white Menubar in 10.6 You can see its not so much a straight line but rather a gradient fade inside the Apple.
Screen_Shot_2018_01_23_at_3_19_08_PM.png

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Looks nice and clean ^.^

This is what the thing looked like against a white Menubar in 10.6 You can see its not so much a straight line but rather a gradient fade inside the Apple.
Screen_Shot_2018_01_23_at_3_19_08_PM.png

Please then try this .car http://jmp.sh/FzTQSK3

I can see the circle is angled different from mine.. I'll adjust that in more recent upload

Is there any other format you can read so that I may export what I have for you to tinker with?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.