Are iPhone plans "unlimited SMS" from ATT-ATT customers? (M2M)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coolbreeze, Jul 1, 2007.

1. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

So I am sitting here worrying about every text I send to my GF b/c the iPhone plan is limited to 200 SMS'. I was flipping through the iPhone brochure (titled "AT&T Plans for iPhone) and read this:

(under AT&T Advantages)
    "Largest Mobile to Mobile Community"
    with unlimited calling and texting to AT&T's wireless customers - over 62 million

Sooo, does this mean as long as I'm sending/receiving an SMS from an AT&T subscriber, it doesn't count as one of the 200? (similar to Verizon's IN network).

I sure hope so. The iPhone plan brochure clearly states this.

I'm new to ATT, so forgive me if this common knowledge.

If this is true, and you want to iChat with another ATT wireless user, just SMS them. It's free according to this.

EDIT: Here is the scan. This is the most current brochure they have...anyone want to explain why this is falsley advertised?

Attached Files:

• scan.jpg
      scan.jpg
      File size:
      463.9 KB
      Views:
  2. ssh macrumors member

I believe that the unlimited mobile to mobile is for calls, not text. Typically, the unlimited mobile to mobile SMS is a $5/month add-on on AT&T. I'm planning on calling AT&T in the morning to check on this myself (and make sure that the $5 option is on it if needed).

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

unfortunately, texting between at&t mobile customers is not free.

4. coolbreeze thread starter macrumors 68000

Also, my plan online says this:

UNLIMITED EXPANDED M2M-N/C $0.00

Expanded...referring to SMS?

I sure hope it's unlimited from ATT-ATT. I'm scanning the brochure now for everyone to see...

5. whateverandever macrumors 6502a

6. ssh macrumors member

Well, perhaps we'll get lucky with this, then! I hadn't seen that.

7. coolbreeze thread starter macrumors 68000

...then why does the brochure say it is? Says nothing about add-on costs even if it is an add-on option.

8. coolbreeze thread starter macrumors 68000

So nobody finds this interesting? Hell, if this is true, we don't even need iChat (well we actually do, but this would help if your buddies have ATT).

Any ATT knowledge-monger want to enlighten me? There is obviously some confusion 'round here...

9. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

it says it right there, so it has to be true...

-nickspohn

10. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

is it official at&t corporate documentation? i'm thinking it's a typo of some sort. if you go to at&t's website, there's no mention of free texting from one at&t customer to another.

11. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

This is from AT&T's website...

12. sbrownla macrumors regular

nope

The iPhone plan specifically states 200 text messages.

To add more:

"Upgrade to even more Text Messages per month:
    1500 SMS Text Messages $10.00 more/month
    Unlimited SMS Text Messages $20.00 more/month"

For every message you go over, you will be charged about $.10. These add up quickly so be careful.

13. coolbreeze thread starter macrumors 68000

So do we have to call and add this? Its strange to me that there's been little mention of this.

14. skythefly13 macrumors 6502

iPhone Activation

There was an option when the iPhone was activated to upgrade the # of texts you get a month, so if you are past that you may want to call in to at&t.

15. coolbreeze thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah but the iPhone brochure clearly states unlimited ATT to ATT texts as one of the network features.

Pretty sneaky of them if you ask me.

16. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

This is interesting...I'm staying tuned b/c the one person I text a lot w/ is my friend who just got an iPhone also...

17. sbrownla macrumors regular

yep

It's totally sneaky. Welcome to ATT!

Bottom line is that your first bill will be insane:

$36 for activation fee (unless you paid this already at ATT store)
    $XX for your plan
    $12 for taxes

Just read your bill carefully and upgrade texts or minutes as you see fit. They don't mess around with overages. You may be better off paying 10 extra bucks for those texts cuz they add up quickly (incoming and outgoing both count).

18. SirOmega macrumors 6502a

Yea, in reference to the above quote from Lancetx, your txt plan has to say something like "2000 txt messages w/ unlimited in-network txts".

And even then it doesnt cover IM... which is what I wonder about if/when an iChat applet gets released - if it counts under data or SMS.

19. SycloneMedia macrumors newbie

Seems to be provisioned just like minutes now... that if you have 'any' text plan, then all texts to ATT customers will be free. Otherwise, they will debit from your allotted texts like normal.

20. swordsmen macrumors newbie

im an existing costumer and I had the option for unlimited text ( which I got)???

21. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

okay... sooo.... after reading all the posts here, i still don't see a definite answer. are text messages between AT&T customers free? or do they count against our crappy 200 a month?

22. jayb2000 macrumors 6502a

jayb2000

But AT&T also offers unlimited M2M phone minutes, so if the added messages above could be for out of network messages, assuming the linked PDF is accurate.

So Text from AT&T to AT&T - unlimited
    Text from AT&T to others 200 messages, unless you add the options for 1500 or unlimited to everyone.

But I still think some one needs to clarify this with AT&T.

23. sbrownla macrumors regular

Faq

Read the FAQ http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/m...aging/faq-text-messaging.jsp#mobile-to-mobile

"Mobile to Mobile Messaging

Q. Which plans can I add the Unlimited Mobile to Mobile Messaging offer to?
    A. Any of our current Messaging Packages or MEdia bundles are available with an Unlimited option. Please ask a representative to help find the right package or bundle for you."

Unlimited M2M messaging is a feature that you add. It's currently 9.99 for 200 messages with unlimited M2M messaging and is not automatically part of the iPhone plan.

This package is different than the regular messaging starter package. You have to realize that with AT&T, unless it says it specifically in your online account, you ain't got it.

You can get all the answers if you just log into your AT&T wireless account. Under "Rate Plan" you will see "Add/Manage Features". That will show you what you have and what's available.

24. mashoutposse macrumors 6502

I'm on the phone with them now (and posting this from my iPhone simultaneously, this rocks)...

Edit: The guy just told me that it can be added for $5... It does NOT come with the service according to this particular CSR.

25. eddi818 macrumors member

ya know... all of these could've been solve by just one phone call to AT&T or a stop at the AT&T store..which is what my friend did..

he asked the guy there and the guy told him.

It is unlimited SMS between AT&T customers.

Which means..im switching to 200 instead of 1500 msgs now.. whenever i can log on to my account on att.com