Are people really still hoping for the iPad mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by snarestud940, Sep 12, 2012.

1. snarestud940 macrumors 6502

Maybe its me, but this is the third straight time that people have thought Apple would be introducing an iPad mini. Is it safe to say that people should give it up by now?

2. DTMfan macrumors member

Actually they said it will be announced in a separate event in Oct. Nobody is wrong yet :cool::apple:

3. appswipe macrumors 6502

I really did believe it would be announced this year, but after seeing the iPhone, iPod Touch, Nano, iOS6 and iTunes updates ALL being announced in the iPhone event then it would be so out of place to have a single event for the iPad Mini and nothing else.

My bet is in the Spring with the iPad 4.

4. kannesss macrumors 6502a

I'm going to assume the new iMac's and stuff with come out along with the iPad mini if they have an event in october.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm disappointed that it wasn't announced today. I beginning to think that the iPad mini is a no go.

6. dchao, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012

dchao macrumors 6502a

My vote goes to NO iPad mini.

iPad mini probably exist. But only in the apple's development lab. The rumors are probably real. But only a handful of a people in Apple even know what will be announced today. There is no way that someone from Foxconn will have any clue.

7. mantan macrumors 68000

I never though the announcment today would include the mini.

But the revamp of the Touch and the announced pricing throws a wet blanket on any hopes for a $249-$349 mini unless it's an extremely stripped down (8 gig wifi only non-retina iPad 2 processor) version.

8. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

I personally doubted the announcement of an iPad mini today, simply because of the production.

There is no possible way apple could support both the iPhone and an iPad mini being produced at the same time, not to mention the iPod touch/nano. Even now, with the iPhone being the only new item on the market, Apple is gonna struggle to produce it, and the shipping dates are going to spike to the weeks within a few (maybe even 1) days.

If could still happen, don't throw it out quite yet.

9. dchao macrumors 6502a

not only that. With iPod touch priced at $299 (the magic price point for iPad) This pretty much kills off any chace of a sub $300 ipad mini. Over $300, I doubt ipad mini will have many takers.

10. ActionableMango, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012

ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

You can't expect the timing of rumors to be exact. The iPad 2 was rumored to get retina display. It didn't, but the next one did.

Most of the rumors are crap anyway, or people projecting what they want. But not all speculation is equal.

First of all, the NY Times, Washington Post, and Wall Street Journal all announced that reliable sources told them the iPad Mini is on the way. They all announced it in the same week, just following Google's announcement of the Nexus 7. That sure sounds like an Apple-approved leak to me. Whatever you may feel about the politics of those three newspapers, it is safe to say they generally don't just go around printing every half-baked Apple rumor.

Secondly, John Gruber and Jim Dalrymple both believe the announcement is specifically coming in October. These two are serious people with great inside connections. Their insight rises far above that of most bloggers.

Third, it makes a lot of sense to me to have separate events for products of such great importance as the iPhone5 and a entirely new model iPad. Having them together dilutes the accomplishment. Having them separate allows media to focus on the iPhone 5 this month and the iPad Mini next month, helping to keep the media momentum up right into the holiday shopping season.

For crying out loud, the iPod Touch will sell from $299 to $399 and people don't think an iPad Mini can sell over $299???

11. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

I don't think Apple will make a mini iPad. I could sure be wrong, but that's my opinion.

12. dchao macrumors 6502a

Sure you can. But at this price range ($300-$400) a lot of the potential iPad buyers would have purchased the iPad 2 @ $399 already. Hence, there isn't a market for the new iPad mini at that price range.

13. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

my 2cents is they are leaving the old iPod touch as a placeholder. Once they release the iPad mini the newer iPod touch will drop in price.

14. dchao macrumors 6502a

We are talking about the October rumor. If Apple is going to drop the price of the new iPod touch in October, who is going to buy it now? Oct press event will probably be for something else.

15. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

I meant when they usually update the iPads not now. The iPad has already been updated recently it would have been crazy for them to release another today.

16. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

i agree.

according to Tim Cook's speech how 2012 will bring some very exciting stuff, i don't think Apple is done rolling out new products for the rest of the year. i think they have a few more tricks up their sleeve.

17. shippingwars macrumors newbie

I am!

I think the IPAD mini would be great.

I gave my mom my old Ipad so she could play games on it...then I gave my dad my old iphone so he could play games, but he said the screen is to small.

The Ipad Mini would be perfect because of the price and my dad could play games finally!

18. Diiiiips macrumors regular

It was never going to be announced today. The iPhone 5 wouldn't have got maximum attention if the Mini was announced at the same time, therefore they will let the 5 settle for a little while and then pounce with another event month.

If anyone thinks its not coming they are delusional. The WSJ doesn't come out with incorrect info about Apple, they have obviously been linked the info about an event next month.

19. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

How can you say there's no market at that price without knowing the specs of the iPad Mini? That's only true if the iPad Mini is a shrunken iPad 2.

But the iPad Mini could be better than the base iPad 2. LTE, GPS chip, A6 CPU, more cores, better cameras, higher storage capacity, Siri, and retina display are all possibilities. Who knows?

20. dchao macrumors 6502a

the point of releasing the stretched version of the iPhone (with retina display, LTE, GPS, A6 Processor....) is to accommodate people who are in the market for a 7" tablet.

And, on contract price is very popular with consumers. You will never get this kind of discount with any non contract tablet.

I would not be surprised to see iPhone 5 taking market share away from Nexus 7. I think Apple have once again demonstrated their ability to outsmart their competitors.

21. mwulf67 macrumors regular

Sorry, but I think you are way off...I am in the market for an affordable 7" tablet and the new iPhone did absolutely nothing to accommodate me...nor millions like me, I would guess...

I plan to buy a couple 7" tablets this holiday season...I hope Apples gets in the game by then, I really do...but if not, the Nexus 7 more than likely...

22. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Hope for one? Yes, yes I do. Offer it for $299 or less and I will buy two on release day. Do I realistically expect one after yesterday? Nope. I do think there is a market for one, especially if they can hit $249 but I don't think ones coming. A 7" iPad would be a great to market as a gaming device if at a similar pricepoint as well.

23. WilliamLondon macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

The WSJ is now owned by the same guy that owns Fox, and here in the UK he owns a whole lot more stuff including the biggest selling paper which features bare breasts on page 3 every single day, just because.

I'm not saying the WSJ is wrong, but in my opinion, that paper took a huge nose dive in credibility when they sold to the devil himself, Rupert Murdoch.

24. dchao macrumors 6502a

That just won't happen.

iPod touch: $299

iPad mini: $299-$199?? (speculating)

Tell me, who is going to buy the new iPod touch now?