All iPads Are the Ipad air's display uniformity issues on the air 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Alundra, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Alundra macrumors regular

Can someone with the new ipad air 2, who knew what the problem was on the air 1 verify if the Book spine effect, or color temperatures discrepancies in some spots of the display are still present or are finally gone this generation ?

2. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Like 5 people on the planet have one. And as with every release, one iPad will not be representative of all of them.

3. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

the verge I believe discussed a pink tink, which is like my 3. I may be finally able to keep this one.

4. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

I've just order another from Apple because the one I received this morning has a faint but noticeable tint to it. I notice it mostly with greys - in Settings, the grey on the left had side is a little warmer than the grey on the right hand side.
    The Air 1 that I just sold was perfect with no screen uniformity issues.

5. RobNor macrumors 6502

Mine is more uniform than the original Air but also a little cooler as is my iPhone 6+

6. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

7. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Perhaps in your case it's unrelated to the coating, but I'm just saying the coating is gonna throw people for a loop.

As to LCD color unevenness, I would expect no major differences from the orginal Air, which to my eye had some degree of color shift in every example I saw, which is to say dozens, in multiple retail stores across 3 states.

8. popeyesm, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014

popeyesm macrumors newbie

Cooler Screen slightly more pronounced Book Spine Issue

Just got mine and discovered that side by side with my Air the Air 2 is distinctly cooler and has more pop. I am sure this is as variable on this model as the last, but my unit has a more pronounced slight blue shadow along the left edge of the display (button down/portrait orientation) than my Air. This book spine effect was common on many Airs. I think it has something to do with the thin design and using one sidelight instead of two. I have yet to decide if it bothers me enough to go through the roulette of iPad exchanges to find a better one.

Overall I like the snappiness and cooler tone of this laminated screen.

9. Alundra thread starter macrumors regular

If the air 2 really has a more noticeable bookspine on the left side that would be terrible news.

The bookspine was my main issue with the air 1 display. Had to replace it about 4 times to get one that was fine.

10. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

My Air 2 arrived. Sadly it has a band of faint pink across the bottom inch of the screen. Gonna see if I stop staring at it in the next few days. I would hate to get sucked into the buy/return vortex like last year.

11. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

Thickness? So the tinting is top to bottom vs left to right like air 1/mini 2

12. Closingracer macrumors 68020

13. puma1552 macrumors 601

so are the LEDs on the right side then?

14. popeyesm macrumors newbie

Bookbind effect

as with first air models, my 2 arrived with an otherwise great screen but with the dreaded dim band down the length of the left side of the display.

15. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

At this point i'd possibly buy multiple and go through them until you get one you can live with.

Saves trips. If first one is a success, you need not open any more.

Sad but true.

also vortex is a perfect way to describe it

16. Mitchdoc macrumors newbie

Got mine have the book spine eff3ct.think I might bring it back. Returned Galaxy tabs for similar types of screen uniformity issues.

17. FranksWildYears macrumors regular

I got really lucky with the screen on mine (my first iPad Air last year had horrible uniformity). So much so that the temptation to switch my gold Air 2 for a silver is diminishing rapidly.

18. Ipadfever macrumors 6502a

Ipadfever

What color of hue is the rest of the screen ? Does it look uniformed minus that faint pink band?

19. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

The AIr screen was great as is. Is this a case of people hunting for something wrong just because?

That vortex someone mentioned here rings true but it's more like the vortex of insanity versus the return vortex.

20. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Just because they aren't happy with the crap quality of their screen?

I guess expectations would be lower if Apple didn't keep telling us these are the best screens on any tablet. Perhaps they should market them as average screens?

21. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

The bottom line is you are paying a lot of money for these devices. If they were consistent then it wouldn't be much of a problem but when you had had devices with a perfect screen, why would you then settle for one with a screen that a sub par? Each to their own but I know I won't be!

22. popeyesm macrumors newbie

The rest of the screen is quite nice - cool white and bright. It makes me hesitant to return and risk other issues I have had with retina screens like more noticeable yellow areas.

23. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

The rest of the screen is nice.

24. i-aamir macrumors 6502a

If anyone's lucky enough to get a cool white screen keep it. Mine has yellow tinge and doesn't look no way near as good as my iP6 Plus!