Are their traitors among us & Should Apple have bought EA Games

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by jpenguin, Jul 17, 2009.

1. jpenguin macrumors member

I've been reading diifferent Mav-Gaming forums, and I can'[t believe how many Mac user say they have X-Box's... Do they want to support M$, M$ is evil!

A while back I read that Apple was thinking of buying EA. Nothing from this article seems to have come true, but I think there might be some nice results if Apple did buy EA-- what do you think?

2. David G. macrumors 65816

3. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

What?

What would Apple do with EA when probably 85% of their customer base is aimed at something to do with Microsoft?

Do you think they would take EA applecentric and survive?

Do you think they would want to compete against Nintendo, MS and Sony in the console arena?

yeah I could see th stock holders saying sure spend X billion to get EA, then another X billion on developing a console, X billion in software development and so on. Its a huge commitment and financial allocation.

I would like to see Apple broaden their computer offerings to reach more people.

An assualt on handheld games. Well there is only so many games I am willing to buy the either the hand blocks the screen during play or that the only real control is accomplished by tilting the device.

4. jpenguin thread starter macrumors member

No I don't think Apple should dive into the console market.

I do think the should to do something to increase the Mac user base though. Buying EA, and have future games use OpenGL and more mac friendly might be a good way to start though... (?)

Pr should Apple pay AutoDESK to release AutoCAD for OS X?

5. David G. macrumors 65816

"The world isn't split into good people companies and death eaters evil empires." Owning products that were made by Microsoft doesn't make you and less of a person, and it sure as heck doesn't make you a blood traitor.
    As for :apple: buying EA, I think that would be bad, they don't need to stretch themselves that far to remain extremely, extremely profitable IMO.

And sorry for the HP references, I've been having a HP kind of week here.

6. jpenguin thread starter macrumors member

That may be true, but I'm talking about the mac- not Apple as a whole.

7. P Mentior macrumors regular

What's wrong with owning a Xbox? I love my mac but that doesn't change my opinion that the Xbox 360 is the best gaming system since N64 (to all the PS3 owners, I said opinion because I like the games on 360 better.) the computer market and console gaming market shouldn't have any bearing on each other.

If you want to see more games on the mac I think that a better course would be to think about including DirectX support as I see that as the major reason for the very low mac support. but those are just my opinions

8. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Im re-reading Harry Potter to watch the new movie and that was funny :)

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Agreed! And as much as I love my Macs, circumstances have aligned against it as a gaming platform. Not that it couldn't be if many developers were designing their games primarily for playing on the Mac, instead of being an after thought.

10. Benny- macrumors regular

Benny-

It's naive to believe Apple is a perfectly innocent company because it isn't. Microsoft does have an aggressive approach to things but to brand them as evil is ridiculous.
    I use a Mac as my main machine and my console of choice is the PS3 which suits me fine. The xbox is a great machine and if i wanted a console just to play games then i would have chose the xbox. For those who do buy an xbox and have a Mac i can't see how this would make them a traitor. No company has my full loyalty i buy products because they do what i need them to do and fit to my budget.
    If Apple did buy EA then a high percentage of the games would be played on Microsoft consoles or on a windows pc. How is this any better in your opinion to owning both Apple and Microsoft products?
    It annoys me when people for example own a Mac and refuse to believe that anything Microsoft produce is worth buying or using. Same as Console users arguing over how much better their console is over each others.

11. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

I call it fanboism...its a disease I tells ya :D

12. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

A disease that EVERYONE has and it's always coupled with hypocrisy.

13. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Or the other way around, going out of their way not to buy an iPod for example just because they hate Apple.

I'm not super into console gaming but I do have an original Xbox. I use it as a frontend to MythTV (and to play games on occasion).

14. DELLsFan macrumors 6502a

DELLsFan

First of all, Microsoft is not evil. At least they aren't any MORE evil than say ... Apple ... :rolleyes:

Secondly, Apple makes a lot of products I like and use. So does Microsoft. The sooner we stop pointing fingers at "traitors" and parroting the demise of either company, the better. Without both companies, do you really think either would be motivated to innovate to the extent they do today?

Finally, whatever nudges Apple into making gamer-friendly products is alright by me. :cool:

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Wait what. OP you're a mad fanboy. Microsoft make good products, namely their peripheral range and the Xbox is a very good console (software wise).

Personally I like the best (affordable) things in life regardless of who makes them. Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft consoles. Sony TV. Apple computers (and a homebuild gaming PC on the way). Apple music players. Dell Monitors.

No Apple shouldn't have bought EA. EA are a terrible bunch of developers who regurgitate the same crap year after year, but some have forgotten this due to their recent popular titles (Dead Space and such). Apple should pay a company like Valve or another respected company to port their games to OSX.

16. masterofbuckets macrumors regular

It would be more interesting if EA bought Apple :p

17. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Hey! Macs ARE THE BEST, just not for gaming.:p

18. S1XStringMayhem macrumors newbie

I feel bad for you. Being that narrow minded will prohibit you from many things in life. Just because Apple and Microsoft are rivals doesnt mean you cant go anywhere near a Microsoft product. Especially when Apple doesnt have a competitor or any interest even. I am typing this from my MacBook Pro. I also have an iPhone and an iPod classic and they are the greatest pieces of technology I have ever purchased. That being said, XBOX 360 owns PS3 and why would I deny myself that just because the name? Get over it.

19. jpenguin thread starter macrumors member

Software is the key...

xBox isn't suppier to PS3 or Wii. The only reason you think it is is because of the Software (in this case games) that are available. I have never programed with DirectX, but I hear its easier to program with than: OpenGL, OpenAL...

I am a student, so for compatibility reasons, I do have a VM with a (liget) copy XP installed. I have no problem with that, but I don't buy more M$ products. I dont even use M$ Office (Mac or Win), and I dont use iWork either; I use open-office (even before it was Aqua)

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

No, the Xbox is just using a (fairly) standard CPU and GPU. The PS3 architecture is frequently cited as being the reason why it's not doing so great (just look at the difference between Ghostbusters on both systems, and that's a new game).
    It IS a good piece of gaming hardware. It's inexpensive to purchase, has fantastic online features and that lead everyone to purchase one, which then became another feather in its cap - everyone owns one.

21. no.1 Apple Fan macrumors regular

no.1 Apple Fan

I have no idea why that rumor was ever approved. Why would Apple want to buy ea?
    They are connected with all the game console companies (Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo). The only thing that Apple promotes that has to do with gaming is the iPod touch.

22. no.1 Apple Fan macrumors regular

no.1 Apple Fan

Than I have a very very severe case of it.:D

23. chuckyeager macrumors member

LOL.... in my house RIGHT now.

2 xbox's ( one of them I won in a raffle... I didn't buy 2 of them )
    1 xbox 360
    1 PS3
    1 Wii
    3 Nintendo DS's ( 1 for me, 2 for my daughters )
    1 gamecube
    1 PS2

and 2 sweet PCs with high end video cards.

I just bought a mac mini today, with the intent of giving it to my kids in 6 months, when I buy an iMac or MBP.

I hold no allegiance to any company as far as who creates fun games for my family.

24. mslide macrumors 6502a

We're talking about gaming consoles. The console that has the best games is the best console. Having the fastest processor and/or the best GPU does not make it the best console.

I'm another Mac owner who also happily owns an XBox 360 (and a Wii). I may not be a huge fan of Windows, but I'm not going to write off an entire company and consider it evil (that's just silly) because of that. Nor will I immediately think that any product that Apple produces is great. Doing either one just makes you a fanboy.

I'm not loyal to any one company. I buy what I think is the best product, for me, given my price range. Sometimes that means I'm buying a Microsoft product (or a PC that uses a microsoft product), sometimes that means I buy Apple and sometimes I use open source software.

25. rj-300zx macrumors regular

rj-300zx

Windows isn't that evil. Microsoft is no more evil than Apple. It all comes down to hating the big man and supporting the smaller guy. Which is bs, considering how much money Apple makes.

I have a PS3 but I also have an original Xbox. The OP is very narrowminded and this goes into the top worst threads i've ever seen posted on MacRumors.