Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alain Ternet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2023
I have a Acasis TBU405Pro enclosure with WDBlack SN850X but it doesn't work as I need.
I would like to use it like I use it like all my other external hard drive : mount them when I need them (for video editing) and unmount them when I no longer need them. So, even if I unmount the Acasis SSD it remains active and continues to be very hot, and the same thing when the computer is in sleep mode, it continues to be very hot (I contacted Acasis several times to find out if this was normal and after several emails I finally had confirmation that this is normal behavior for this enclosure...). The only way to resolve this is to either leave it running 24 hours a day or unplug it.

Since I use my Mac 6 or 7 hours a day, the rest of the time it is in sleep mode, I don't want to leave it running 24 hours a day and I don't want to plug and unplug it each time I need it.

I look to add two other SSD and I look for a other kind of enclosure, either a model that really puts the SSD drive to sleep or even better, an enclosure with a on/off switch. Does that exist ? Does anyone have a solution for me?

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
As a long term video editor, sometimes using many external drives, the workaround I use is to only buy self-powered external drives.
Unmount them, switch off their power supply.
Problem solved.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
So, even if I unmount the Acasis SSD it remains active and continues to be very hot, and the same thing when the computer is in sleep mode, it continues to be very hot
Safe to assume you have the 405Pro built-in fan turned on?
I would like to use it like I use it like all my other external hard drive : mount them when I need them (for video editing) and unmount them when I no longer need them.
So you want to keep the enclosure attached, but turn it off when you are not using it, rather than detaching the enclosure. Most SSD external enclosures are bus-powered unless you opt for an enclosure which houses multiple SSDs to support a RAID configuration.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
We're talking about nvme type blade SSDs, is this correct?
I don't think I've ever seen an on/off switch on an enclosure for one of these.
That's not to say they don't exist.

What I'd do is clunky, but workable:
- get a cable that's "long enough" (to just "hang out of the way" when you don't have the drive connected
- use the drive with this cable
- when you're NOT going to be using it a while, disconnect from the cable at the "drive end"
- the other end stays connected to the Mac

I have a small plastic "cover" that fits over the "exposed" end of the cable to protect it when not in use.

(I told you it was "clunky", but the ol' fishrrman is a clunky guy...)

Rusted Eyes

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2023
I have that exact same Acasis enclosure, with the fan. I leave it connected to the hub unless it won't be used for a couple of days (and do as Fishrrman re: the cable minus the plastic protector). The fan only goes on while in use, otherwise, it's off.

Alain Ternet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2023
As a long term video editor, sometimes using many external drives, the workaround I use is to only buy self-powered external drives.
Unmount them, switch off their power supply.
Problem solved.
Does it exist for SSDs?

Alain Ternet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2023
We're talking about nvme type blade SSDs, is this correct?
I don't think I've ever seen an on/off switch on an enclosure for one of these.
That's not to say they don't exist.

What I'd do is clunky, but workable:
- get a cable that's "long enough" (to just "hang out of the way" when you don't have the drive connected
- use the drive with this cable
- when you're NOT going to be using it a while, disconnect from the cable at the "drive end"
- the other end stays connected to the Mac

I have a small plastic "cover" that fits over the "exposed" end of the cable to protect it when not in use.

(I told you it was "clunky", but the ol' fishrrman is a clunky guy...)
Yes, NVME SSD
I seem to have seen problems with tird party cables with these enclosures? Otherwise it would work, but I'm afraid of breaking the USB-C socket on the case by plugging/unplugging it so often...

Alain Ternet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2023
I have that exact same Acasis enclosure, with the fan. I leave it connected to the hub unless it won't be used for a couple of days (and do as Fishrrman re: the cable minus the plastic protector). The fan only goes on while in use, otherwise, it's off.
Without the fan it gets extremely hot even when the Mac is asleep. I'm a little afraid of leaving something super hot like that unattended next to my mac when I'm not there... What type of Hub do you have? I looked for Thunderbold hubs and I didn't find much...

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley

Algr

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2022
Earth (mostly)
Some USB hubs have switches on each port.
Screenshot 2024-02-23 at 9.34.59 PM.png

Alain Ternet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2023
There are a bunch of different versions of the "toaster" SSD interface and all the ones I've seen have on/off switches.
Don't work with my NVME SSD....

Rusted Eyes

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2023
Without the fan it gets extremely hot even when the Mac is asleep. I'm a little afraid of leaving something super hot like that unattended next to my mac when I'm not there... What type of Hub do you have? I looked for Thunderbold hubs and I didn't find much...
I have the Sonnettech Echo 20

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.