Are there any users in this fourm who actually like their MBPs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stillmaticshay, Aug 4, 2008.

1. stillmaticshay macrumors member

stillmaticshay

Hi.

I read on here every now and again. As of late I have been reading the fourms a little more because I am planning on purchasing a MBP next week.

All I read is people complaining about problem after problem with their MBP.

What I would like to know is how many people if any, actually like and appreciate their unit. And if so, what do you like about it and why?

I have yet to see anything.

Thanks.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I appreciate the fact that it's the thinnest notebook for the power out there.

I appreciate the fact that NOTHING else out there looks as good as its seven-year-old case.

I do not appreciate how the GPU is not only a year old, but also has a supposed 100% defect rate.

The MacBook Pro in my signature was bought with disdain because of this defect. It is still in the box ready to go back should Montevina come out before I go to Ireland on the 16th.

3. stillmaticshay thread starter macrumors member

stillmaticshay

Can you explain this statement in more detail please:

"I do not appreciate how the GPU is not only a year old, but also has a supposed 100% defect rate."

Thank you.

4. TimJim macrumors 6502a

Love my MBP in my signature. No complaints, never had a problem.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The 8600M GT has been in the MacBook Pro for a year. As of recently, there are reports that all of these GPUs are defective.

6. mac jones macrumors 68040

You must remember that forums like these are in no way representative of the user base.

Here is where you go to complain or trouble-shoot.

I mean, what's the point of the "OH MY GOD I"M SOOOO EXCITED ABOUT MY NEW APPLE LAPTOP I JUST WANT TO TELL THE WORLD!!!"

You should be grateful for the complaints. :D

7. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

8. team 79 krunch macrumors member

team 79 krunch

:apple:I LOVE my 17" 2.6GHz MacBook Pro, It is THE best laptop ever, I am able to run leopard and VISTA Ultimate on it faster than on my old iMac 17", come to think of it I can't run VISTA on my old iMac, The 17" is lighter than my friends Sony 15", is is the least bulky Pro laptop out there, I run Autodesk Inventor, 3Ds MAX, and Maya on bootcamp without any problems. The keyboard is amazing, The backlighting is one of my favorite features. Also the Hi-RES screen is beautiful. The built in iSight camera is very useful. I also like the ports, Having 3 USB 2.0's, a firewire 400 & 800, express slot, DVI, and Magsafe is amazing, I can't find anything that wont interface with my MBP, I will keep buying MBP's until I die.:)

9. stillmaticshay thread starter macrumors member

stillmaticshay

it is nice to know of potential issues. that is fine. i still want to hear positive things to.

i'm happy to be able to see both sides of the coin, no need to tell me what i should be grateful for. :D i just want to hear some positive thoughts as well. and that is fine.

10. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

mine has been great. solid performance since the day I got it.

11. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

A while ago I had the logic board replaced for a relatively small issue but other than that is has been fantastic.

12. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

13. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Well I dont have an 8600GT equipped MBP so I'm happy!:D

14. boazjoe macrumors member

I LOVE my 17" MBP! :p

Have had it for 8 mos. No problems.

I know that EVERYONE wants a thinner, lighter, jazzier notebook, but...I think I would like to see a built in memory card reader (makes sense as I use Iphoto all the time) and slightly better wireless range.

The ultimate test question is would I buy this computer again or would I make another choice now that I have had it and used it for some time...I would buy this computer again. End of story.

Joe

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Man I hate my computer; I hate Apple and all their nice, sleek computers. Man I wish I had a 3" thick 16 kg Dell.

16. nano macrumors member

17. sbf74 macrumors member

Love it

I've had my 15 inch 2.6GHz MBP for about 8 weeks now, and I love it.
    Not a single problem.
    Love it, love it, love it, love it, love it.
    Runs nice and cool, only have to ramp up the fans when playing graphics-intense games.

I'm not worried about the GPU issue - worst case scenario it has a catastrophic GPU failure and I use my Applecare to get a completely new machine then upload my timecapsule backup.... and Voila! All fixed.

I'm not planning on keeping it for 5 years anyway, so if I manage to get 2-3 good years out of it I'm very happy.

Good hunting!

18. motownflip macrumors regular

19. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

I love mine and have had it since October 07.

20. paola105 macrumors 6502

paola105

I like my MBP. A lot.
    Despite all of the flaws it has, like a stuck red pixel, a 3 inch scratch on the lid (all thanks to Apple), and superdrive not working properly.
    It's still my baby and I will love it forever.
    Although I do need to get the superdrive fixed...

21. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

I love my Penryn MBP, best computing experience I've had by far. Fit and finish are fantastic and the thing looks like a work of art. Battery life is more than respectable.

OSX is incredible. I work at home on Tues/Thurs as a .NET developer and use Fusion to access my Windows based applications. I use a 23" ACD in dual monitor mode while working. Despite some reported issues with wifi access it in conjunction with my Apple Extreme are rock solid and have not had so much as a blip in lack of connectivity in my loft, which is certainly more than I can say with my previous setup (Asus laptop w/ Linksys router). I have VPN into the office all day long and it never loses connectivity.

That said, yes, the GPU has a design defect that is worrisome - my computer may crap out tomorrow, or it may crap out 2 years from now. Or it may never (while I own it, that is :). Knowing what I know now I would wait for word from Apple or a model rev before purchasing or get by with a Macbook if I had to have a computer. But I did buy it and still have 8 mos of warranty left, so for the time being we're both sitting pretty :)

22. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

I love mine... Every part of it.

Its faster then all the other desk tops I've used. For that alone I'm completely happy. :) But I just have no complaints... Except for the lid not being flushed but its not a big problem to me.

23. snaky69 macrumors 603

I have nothing bad to say about mine, I love it and multi-touch rocks.

24. November macrumors regular

25. m1stake macrumors 68000

A friend owns a SR 2.4 and is perfectly happy with it. A pleasure to use.