Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lhotka

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
Love mine (late 2006), and plan to get a new one the day the next rev is released.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I've got the SR 2.2 15.4" MBP and bought as a refurb in April (this year.) Coming from a well-worn workhorse Thinkpad, I've been very happy with it. It does feel a bit 'delicate' compared to the Thinkpad, which I just threw around and beat on the keyboard for a few years. As I've gotten used to the feel of the Macbook pro keyboard, it's gotten better and better for me to use to the point where I just love it. The frequently used keys have gotten smoother and more shiny with use (and I keep my hands squeaky clean, no grease, etc.) which is a bit annoying, but it happened on the Thinkpad too. I type a lot, so there's not much you can really do about it. But, having said that, I actually like the feel of the slightly worn-in keys better than the rougher texture of the brand new ones. I'd prefer if the new keyboards were just completely smooth, so the 'shinyness' wouldn't be so obvious between frequently used keys and lesser used ones.

My only issue so far (keeping my fingers crossed on the GPU) is that the cable from the powersupply seems likely to fail with the way it's designed. The place where the wire comes out of the actual powersupply is already twisted where it had to 'bend' for wrapping the cord up for storage. Or if plugged into a surge protector and the cord is on the top of the unit, which also tends to 'bend' the cord at that spot. Normal use for me has already had me wondering if it was going to eventually short out inside if the wire breaks. I'd like that to be a little more rugged.

But, bottom line so far: it's been impeccable. A great computer, classy design, a huge leap from where I was when considering the overall experience.

So - here's another happy macbook pro customer. It ain't perfect, but it beats whatever comes in second.

jcoop

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Indianapolis, IN
I have a SR 2.2 purchased in September last year, and I love it. No screen problems, no video card problems (knock wood), just a great all-around computer.

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
I like mine. It's the 1st generation model (2.0CD/1GB/100GB/256ATi). It's fun to open and poke around (I reapplied the thermal paste!) I don't mind the heat that much because it's usually on a stand with external mouse and keyboard.

I should add that my battery was replaced 3 TIMES. yay fresh batteries!!

NPerk7288

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2008
I absolutely love my MBP. I've had it since April of this year (right after they did the latest update) and it's been amazing. Almost no problems at all which is such a relief since I switched from owning a Dell. With the Dell, I had issues right out of the box with all the random 3rd party bloatware they package. I like the fact that although there are preinstalled programs with Mac, they are made by Apple so don't cause issues. Anyway, yeah it's been an amazingly reliable and fast computer.

Ironically, I have Vista on it and that causes the only issues I've ever had. I don't know what people are talking about when they say the wireless is limited. I have a wireless N router in my apartment and the macbook never has connection issues and is always very fast. On the other hand - Windows Vista SUCKS when it comes to connecting to wireless. It's not the macbook pro, either, as I ran vista on some brand new Dell's last year and Vista did the same thing with them. It is constantly saying limited connectivity and having issues connecting to access points even with a "very good" signal. I hate Windows soo much because of this. It is so frustrating because the only solution is to restart. So yeah, the wireless works great - never has connection issues and it just works! I don't know what a previous poster was talking about when they said they have to use XP to connect to their wireless. I always have issues with Windows Wireless connections and it has nothing to do with the access point, computer, or signal strength because it has happened with Dell, HP and now Windows on my Mac, and at various different locations ranging from WEP2 connections to Panera so obviously this is a Windows wireless connection issue.

Bottom line - great computer with fewer issues than any Windows computer you will find.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I have a 2.33 GHz MBP, and it hasn't given me any serious problems - just minor things that I know how to fix. I'm VERY happy with it.

My iMac G5, on the other hand... hasn't been trouble free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.