Are these realistic specs for iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by billyjoegibsonx, Mar 27, 2011.

1. billyjoegibsonx macrumors 6502

Hey, was just going over the specs for iphones and ipads and thought i'd make a list of specs that i think will be in iphone 5. just wanna know if its realistic or not for the iphone 5 to have these :)

4" 960x640 288ppi
    1GHz Dual-Core A5 CPU
    768MB or 1GB RAM.
    16 / 32 / 64 GB Storage.
    GSM & CDMA
    Rear 8MP 720 / 1080p HD at 30 fps
    Front 1MP camera

3.7V 1690 mAh Battery
    Audio: 44 hours
    Video: 12 hours
    Talk over 3G: 10 hours
    Browse over 3G: 8.5 hours
    Browing over Wi-Fi: 11
    Standby: 310 hours.

2. JASApplications macrumors 65816

Nobody knows. Everything is rumours. We will just have to wait till June/July to find out! :) But yes. Everything you have there is pretty realistic!

3. chrdog macrumors newbie

I would bet against the battery life and the RAM. They are realistic, but apple has shown that they don't just stuff in RAM to bump specs, if I recall the new iPad only has 512MB

4. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

They might bump the ram, but I wouldn't be shocked if they kept it at 512. If it's bumped, it'll be up to 1GB.

I'm still not convinced the screen will be bigger. That would degrade the pixel density, which they always tout as being something to celebrate.

5. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

288 is not that different than 300, and most rumors suggest a 4" screen.

6. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I think they're very realistic. I wouldn't be shocked if they kept the ram the same, but they could easily bump it up if they wanted to.

There seems to be a lot of back and forth about the screen size vs pixel density. I guess we will have to wait and see- I doubt apple would sacrifice the "retina display" bragging rights for their flagship device at this point. But it's Apple, so if they go with a bigger screen, I'd expect some sort of trick or fancy name.

I would love to see a camera bump. The iPhone 4's camera is very nice, but I always look forward to having a better camera integrated into the new phones.

7. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I don't think there will be a 64gb version. If this was the direction they are going I think the iPad would have been bumped up first. Other than that, Im expecting pretty much what is on your list.

8. ConnorTurnbull macrumors 6502

9. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

10. Fugue macrumors 6502

I love RAM. Can't get enough of it. I would be more than satiated for the year if they did only 3 things without changing anything else.

1. Dual Core CPU
    2. 1GB (or more :D RAM)
    3. Better battery life

11. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

iPad 2 is available with 64Gb, what exactly do you mean?

12. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

The retina display should remain with the same screen resolution unless the stats show something else, like the percentage of apps that actually support it are just a few and that people and Steve prefer a bigger screen and they agree upon something like you mentioned.
    However if they do that they will loose me as an evangelist.
    Besides the camera and all other nice things I love about my iPhone 4, the retina display is one of the top in my list of features that I love.
    I bought an iPad 2 for my wife and its screen sucks.

13. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Wow, this thread is new and different. I have not seen 84,000 threads exactly like this before.

14. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

neither a post like this...WOW

15. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Were you being sarcastic? Your response isn't all that different from this thread :)

[​IMG]

16. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I think we'll see everything you wrote except it would have a 3.5" screen, and 512MB RAM.

17. kre62 macrumors 68000

If iphone5 has a 3.5' screen, Im done. Done I say.

18. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I am very used to the current screen size. I don't like HUGE screens on my phones, but I would not mind a 4 inch screen on the next iPhone.

19. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't see Apple fragmenting the lineup of small iOS devices by having a 4 inch iPhone 5, and a 3.5 inch iPod Touch and iPhone 4. Also, iOS is very well optimized for a 3.5" display. If we really had a 4 inch screen, its not like Apple will add another vertical row on the home screen. They'll just leave it at 4. Why do I say this? Because the iPad only has a 4 row icon set (going down) and its more than capable for more. There have also been a bunch of people coming with CAD sketches claiming that a 4" screen would not fit on the current iPhone form factor (not like that really matters since they could just make it bigger). But Apple just made a commercial about the retina display. I doubt they are going to make the quality lower than what it is, even though its hardly noticeable to most people.

20. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

As much as your theory makes sense, I'm REALLY hoping for a larger screen. I know a lot of people are happy with the current one but my hands could do with some more space. If the new iPhone doesn't deliver, I may be tempted by a Desire HD or something similar. Would be a real shame to have to switch OSs though

21. kre62 macrumors 68000

There will be 0 fragmentation if they keep the same resolution, which they would. I dont know why people dont get that. The UI elements will look fine, its not an exponentially bigger screen size. Everything will just be slightly physically bigger. But the app now chip will be able to tell what physical size the screen is, just the resolution.

22. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

Ill be upset if the iPhone 5 isnt a 4" screen (no bigger). I think 4" is perfect but Ill still but it no matter what cuz its by far the best phone.

23. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Not fragmentation on the OS side - that I understand, but hardware wise, you'll be able to tell the difference in PPI between an iPhone assuming they make a bigger screen with the same resolution and an iPod Touch (the iPod Touch having more PPI). I'm guessing that having those devices next to each other will yield a noticeable difference.

24. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

1. Actually, the latest rumor suggests that iOS 5 will be a total revamp of the OS. So we don't really know how the future iOS will be optimized.

A lot of people are saying "Apple won't go 4" screen because of fragmentation, or because of the app developers", i find that really funny because if that's the case then poor Apple will be stuck behind.

2. I agree the CAD drawings say otherwise, but lots of reports say it'll be a 4" screen, so we'll see what happens. Maybe the iPhone 5 will be a bit wider, or maybe the aspect ratio will change, who knows?

3. They might, so it'll be 288 compared to 300? You're right, I don't think that we'll be even able to differentiate between the two.

25. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If you look at post 23, I was referring to fragmentation between the hardware aspects of all smaller iOS devices (iPhone 4, 5, and iPod Touch).

Also, I think the current iPhone has a PPI of 326.

Looks like we'll have to wait for WWDC to find out :eek: