Are you addicted to your iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DoNoHarm, Jul 6, 2010.

1. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

How many times a day do you check email, twitter, facebook, etc? Is the iphone the last thing you look at at night before you sleep and the first thing you check in the morning? Do you feel anxious when you leave it at home?

I am begining to think that the iphone facilitates a connectivity disorder/addiction. Since people can be addicted to gambling, clearly you do not need a substance that causes addiction.

What do you guys think? Is this addiction or are our phones meerly aids like a wristwatch that make us more effective?

2. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Yes. I have to catch myself from pulling it out when the gf and I go out to eat.
    Other than that, it does help me so often it isn't funny.

3. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

You leave yours at home sometimes? :p I feel naked without mine!

4. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Yup, have to admit I am woefully addicted to mine.

When I sold my iPhone 3G two weeks before the iPhone 4 launch, I was actually lost without an iPhone. Even funnier however, was the amount of times my wife would ask me to find a number or check something online while out and about and I couldn't because I had no iPhone ... even she missed it! :D

It is frightening how reliant and somewhat dependant we become on the iPhone, but it does so many things in one very small package.

5. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

According to my girlfriend, yes. However, she is an iPhone owner herself.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

And I'm beginning to think that as a society, we are trying too hard to explain away behaviors we don't like by scapegoating these behaviors as "disorders" or "addictions." One could say, we're addicted to being addicted to something, because we have to explain away everything we do somehow.

The question one should ask is: does using your iPhone become so much of a necessaity that it detracts from your normal functioning? Can you still get through the day, get your job done, pay attention to the people you care about, etc?

If you can, then there's little to worry about.

7. wickywahwah macrumors regular

no, but i will be! i've never owned an iPhone, but based on my experience with my iPod touch, i will be hooked.

8. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

The iPhone has helped me solve random trivial questions that pop up throughout the day :)

Stuff like, "Why do they put those red balls on power lines" or "What other movies have I seen that guy in?"

Having Google at my fingertips everywhere I go is one of the most addicting things. I even walk down the hall staring at my iPhone (yes, I still look up and greet people) reading a book or working a crossword during the day. :p

9. VTAb182 macrumors regular

Yes, I am. I didn't really realize it until my 3GS was stolen last month. It's been hard going back to a regular flip phone (I know that sounds spoiled. sue me :p). Good thing mine's coming tomorrow!

10. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Addicted to

iPhone 4
    iPad

In no particular order!

11. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

Nah. I've had every iPhone since the original and it's something i use everyday but it's not addictive for me anymore :) But for some people tyler durden was right when "he said the things you own end up owning you"

12. Buddhaluver macrumors regular

Buddhaluver

Yes, it goes where ever I go including the bathroom!!

13. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I spend most of the afternoon at home and primarily use my iMac, but my iPhone is always by my side to text, or balance my budget, or do out things that I no longer do on my iMac. And it is the last thing I see before I go to bed with my Kindle app--and the first thing I see in the morning when I read the news on the porch with my coffee.

14. Mecc22 macrumors newbie

Same thing happened to me. I had mine stolen while on vacation. I had to use an LG which was still touchscreen...but still...it wasn't the iPhone. I felt like I was missing and arm.

15. rkb macrumors member

Very dependent, when I sold my 3GS on the date the 4 was announced I made a huge tactical error. I used some Sony POS for those couple weeks till my 4 arrived- now that I have it the planets are back in their proper order.

16. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

17. Oompaloompas macrumors newbie

another buddha lover i hail from Virginia though.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not me, though I keep telling my wife to get her nose out of her iPhone.

19. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I wouldn't say addicted but I would say dependent upon. I use it for almost everything while away from my PC, and even when I have my PC available I still find myself using my precious iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4. As far as doing email on my computer, its basically a not happening situation. ALL my email is done on my iPhone, even before the unified inbox, but now with that, which I thought I might not like, I rarely ever open up Outlook, or login into MobileMe, only time is if I want to get some serious deleting done, then I'll log on to my email via a PC since it's easier to do that way.

20. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Let's put it this way: My passcode comes on after 15 minutes of non-use.

I probably type in my passcode 4 or 5 times a day. (You do the math)

Yes, I know that could be read as very good or very bad. Trust me, it's the bad way! :D

21. JayDude132 macrumors 6502

I use mine all the time. I use it while at work for 8 hours straight and i rarely use the computer since the iphone 4 came out. With the retina display theres no need to surf the net on the pc because i can view websites clearly now right on my phone. And email - i hate having to go to yahoo to log in, its way faster on my phone. These phones are so convenient its ridiculous. But sometimes i do feel that technology has sort of been used as a crutch. Theres no longer a reason to learn to read a map for example, as you can have a map tell you exactly where to go using an application on a device which has internet basically everywhere. The bad part is, what if you ever got lost without your phone or it died, you wouldnt know how to get back. Thats sort of an extreme example but technology has changed the way we do things a lot, not necessarily in a good way... Oh how i love technology! XD

Oh and... "My name is Jason, and i am an iPhone addict"

22. Macnator macrumors 6502

I can't go anywhere without my iPhone.

But, I recently sold mine, and I am awaiting the iPhone 4 release in Canada. It really sucks being without. I've reached for it a couple times and it's not there. :(

23. JayDude132 macrumors 6502

Dont you hate when that happens?! I would do that while at work when my 3G would be at home for those dreadful 8-hour-long backups. It was sad every time i went to get it out only to realize it wasnt there... :(

24. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

"Oh and... "My name is Jason, and i am an iPhone addict"

-Hi Jason!!!

Stupid joke if you get it.

25. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii