Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
A "slightly" larger screen would be nice but it's not a deal breaker. A higher res. screen makes up for it :)

DaGreat01

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I just dont see how some people on here dont find it disappointing that the NEXT generation of a product can have less (in any way) than the previous....that doesnt make sense...

angevil

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Just give me high res screen

I am fine with the screen size, but the resolution is too low. Apple needs to put the higher resolution screen to the iPhone now. I hope they`ll do that or I would be extremely disappointed.

McBeats

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2007
erf
Yeah, it's a tad disappointing to see it only have 3.5 inch while others are almost an inch bigger... A bigger screen would help out for portrait/landscape keyboard for us people with big fingers...

But really my biggest concern is a highe resolution with maybe more accurate touchscreen (since hgher res, higher scale touchscreen too) if that makes any sense to ya guys heheh

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 25, 2009
I was on the subway thinking about this today and came to a realization. First, I don't want the iPhone to increase in size, I think the shell itself is as large as it needs to be. Second, I use the bezel at the top and bottom. When viewing the phone vertically, I like to rest my thumb on the home button, and when I turn it horizontally, I like to hold it in my right hand and rest my thumb on the earpiece. The bezel right now is about the same width as my thumb. I also like that there's a few millimeters on each side of the long axis of the screen because sometimes my skin or end of my thumb overlap the top of the screen ever so slightly.

So, if the phone can't increase in overall size, and I don't want the bezel to decrease on any side.. well, the screen ain't gettin any bigger. I suppose Apple paid very close attention to the ergonomics of the whole thing, I feel like a form factor like the HTC EVO would be almost a little annoying that I could only hold it certain ways.

So, in lieu of increasing the size of the screen itself, they just said let's increase the resolution. And you know, that's fine by me.

eaglesteve

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2009
I was on the subway thinking about this today and came to a realization. First, I don't want the iPhone to increase in size, I think the shell itself is as large as it needs to be. Second, I use the bezel at the top and bottom. When viewing the phone vertically, I like to rest my thumb on the home button, and when I turn it horizontally, I like to hold it in my right hand and rest my thumb on the earpiece. The bezel right now is about the same width as my thumb. I also like that there's a few millimeters on each side of the long axis of the screen because sometimes my skin or end of my thumb overlap the top of the screen ever so slightly.

So, if the phone can't increase in overall size, and I don't want the bezel to decrease on any side.. well, the screen ain't gettin any bigger. I suppose Apple paid very close attention to the ergonomics of the whole thing, I feel like a form factor like the HTC EVO would be almost a little annoying that I could only hold it certain ways.

So, in lieu of increasing the size of the screen itself, they just said let's increase the resolution. And you know, that's fine by me.

Nah, I don't think anyone need such a hugh margin. It's a waste of precious space. No matter how I hold it, I would never need that margin. Most of it can be taken over and used by the screen itself. It'll look better too that way.

See this :
http://www.gadgetsdna.com/iphone-4g-hd-vs-droid-incredible-vs-htc-evo-4g-vs-nexus-one/2436/
Compare the physical size of the whole phone and the screen size. I don't think anyone can say honestly that the Incredible or N1 is too big here. Even EVO is just a mere .3 inch longer but gosh what a gorgeous screen size for web browsing.

allonym

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
Bigger screen = harder to use with one hand. That's bad IMO. 3.7 would probably be ok but I've tried an HTC HD2 with (IIRC) a 4.3 inch screen and found two hands were required quite often. A big screen completely changes how a device is used (for me at least) and not in a good way.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
all liars. If that phone had a 4.3" screen, you all would be talking about how awesome its gonna be.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 25, 2009
Bigger screen = harder to use with one hand. That's bad IMO. 3.7 would probably be ok but I've tried an HTC HD2 with (IIRC) a 4.3 inch screen and found two hands were required quite often. A big screen completely changes how a device is used (for me at least) and not in a good way.

I agree with this. I watched some videos of engadget handling the EVO, and honestly it looked a little awkward. I think 3.7 inches could have been nice, but that's only a 6% difference anyway. I guess the long and short of it is that we better be ready to accept that 3.5 is here to stay, because I bet whatever tech Apple puts in this one will last for at least 2 generations.

'73-B

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2006
Arlington, VA
All of you who say that you don't want a bigger screen are disagreeing just to disagree.....

If the next iPhone did have a bigger screen you all would be the first praising Apple for it....

And a bigger screen doesn't mean a bigger phone. Look at the nexus one, it's smaller than an iPhone.
:rolleyes:

I'm sorry, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the OP ask if you were disappointed in the screen size - asking for one's OPINION? So, just because people say they don't want a bigger screen doesn't mean they are disagreeing just to disagree. They are expressing their OPINION. Some people don't care if the screen is bigger - myself included!

'73-B

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2006
Arlington, VA
all liars. If that phone had a 4.3" screen, you all would be talking about how awesome its gonna be.

:mad::mad: That's a sweeping generalization with absolutely NOTHING to back it up. People like you and DaGreat01 need to learn to deal with it when people have different opinions.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I would have appreciated a larger screen if and only if it could have been accomplished without significant impact on battery life, the size of the device, its weight, or outdoor brightness. Judging by comparable smartphones, it looks like increasing screen size would have increased the thickness of the device by about 35% and significantly increased its weight. A larger screen could also be expected to draw more power, unless perhaps it were an AMOLED...which would limit its usability outdoors. Everything is a trade-off when designing such a device.

I am sure Jonathan Ives has weighed all these alternatives to a nicety, and I think I shall have to trust his judgment.

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
All of you who say that you don't want a bigger screen are disagreeing just to disagree.....

If the next iPhone did have a bigger screen you all would be the first praising Apple for it....

And a bigger screen doesn't mean a bigger phone. Look at the nexus one, it's smaller than an iPhone.
:rolleyes:

This. This x 1000.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I am disappointed, I really wanted to see a bigger screen, didn't have to be huge like the HD2/EVO, but something bit bigger and the bezel a bit reduced. One good thing though about the iPhone's screen is that the width is very good for typing. I used a Sony X10 with 4" but the width was just as wide as the iPhone since the AR is 16:9.

Although the size isn't increasing, I'd be very happy if the resolution increases.. but a change in the screen makes me think its something Apple will use for a few years before another possible change.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I'd never even considered that the iPhone could use a bigger screen until these type of threads after the iPhone '4G' leak.

I'm perfectly comfortable with the current screen. That said, I'd also be perfectly happy with a slightly bigger one :D

outcastrc

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2009
BC, Canada
I am hoping for a larger screen. I almost never say to myself when using my iphone "gee I wish it had better resolution" (tho I agree its sorely needed) but I do say almost every time I use it "dam, I wish it was larger"

Seeing comparisons of other device with larger screens with hardly a difference in overall size just proves its possible.

Plus the way I see it now that my province is forcing me to use a blue tooth headset all the time I could live with a larger device anyways. As long as I can put it in my pocket I would be happy. It only hits my ear in an emergency...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.