Are you happy you upgraded to 4.1?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by thadoggfather, Oct 12, 2010.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I'm on 4.0.1 JB/unlocked (ultrasn0w). Liking it all but funky proximity sensor issues and occasional buginess.

Are you pleased with the update to 4.1 or are you just really happy about greenpois0n and limera1n because you were on 4.1 and previously it was not jailbreakable?

If I lose unlock in Europe, I have a useless phone. But I've heard of the Tiny Umbrella baseband preserving restore and it works well supposedly.

Just curious. Still going to wait for a mac tool to jailbreak 4.1 before I fully decide. On a mac...

2. himni macrumors regular

I upgraded to 4.1 using TU and preserved my 1.59 BB. TU worked like a charm and I haven't had any issues with limera1n. I do like the new features. I haven't had a chance to see if it fixes the prox sensor because to only time I had a problem with it was when I was on a call for about a hour or longer. I am glad I upgraded to 4.1 and would do it again if I had.

3. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

I'm in the same boat on this one.

On 4.0 (iPhone 4) but I'm not sure the 4.1 upgrade is compelling to me.

I actually was hoping the JB'ers would wait until 4.2 since that has some interesting features (like AirPlay) that would be interesting to upgrade to.

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

No reason to wait, when 4.2 comes out they will work on it, same as if they would have waited.

If you are happy on 4.0.x, stay on it.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No, I'll wait until 4.2.0. That way I'll get more reasons why to switch. Also, my current state of OS allows everything I have to be 100% stable and bug free. 4.1.0 upgrade is sure to break many things and have compatibility issues with jailbreak given apps (such as 3G Unrestrictor). I'll just wait until 4.2.0.

6. WilliamG macrumors G3

Very happy. Bluetooth headsets finally work. Yay!

7. himni macrumors regular

Everything I had installed on 4.0.1 (80 some packages) all work great. The only one I haven't tried is FolderEnhancer and the developer said it will be 4.1 ready in a week or so. I haven't had any crashes yet and things are running great.

Also I use 3G Unrestrictor and it is working great also.

8. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I've got a JB iPhone running 4.0 with every tweak/app I want running perfectly (except for YourTube2 which the developer doesn't give a care to update and resolve). 4.1 doesn't benefit me enough to upgrade to and I'm not even sure if 4.2 will entice me enough to either.

9. mikeee macrumors regular

hows the speed and battery life for you guys that updated to 4.1??? im still on 4.0.2

10. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

When I was on 4.0.1 I had to downgrade mobilesubstrate because my battery life was horrible.

I installed the same packages again on 4.1 and am currently on the latest mobilesubstrate with no battery issues at all.

11. Darwing macrumors 6502

12. nednarm macrumors 6502

Same, my battery was terrible on 4.0.1 but now I'm on 4.1 it lasts as long as it did on stock firmware. very happy.

13. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

I was going to update to 4.1 but I'm thinking of waiting until 4.2. It'll be released in November and I don't feel like restoring as new twice in such a short time.

I may change my mind once the OS X version of Greenpois0n is released, I'm not sure yet. :)

14. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

The major features are HDR, GameCenter, and proximity fix.

15. Gavernty macrumors 6502

I am liking it so far, no eye popping changes although it does seem to be running smoother (could be in my head) A few things I've noticed with 4.1 are a lot of the png files must be renamed to work with winterboard. For example to change the sms bubbles you now have to add ~iphone to the end of the png files name, and to change the folder backgrounds you have to first delete a cache file in the phone itself and then replace the folderbackground image in com.apple.springboard for it to work

16. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Yes, because I use my iPhone in my car bluetoothed to my stereo, and 4.1 enabled AVRCP controls. Completely worth it.

17. Darwing macrumors 6502

But 3GS doesn't have hdr .... So if u don't have proximity issues and can't use gamecenter there is no point

18. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

this.
    I can finally skip tracks on my iphone using my steering wheel controls.
    oh and that bug where text zoomed when you hit return has gone woo hoo

19. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Agreed.

Seriously, if I were dependent on an unlock, thousands of miles from home, and had a stable functioning JB'd phone already, there no reason to change things. It's not like even a few months wait until you get home is all that long a time when you already have a working JB/unlock.

Yes, the risk is small. So is the reward. Not worth it in my book.

20. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I might be leaning towards this. I honestly dont know if Proximity sensor is the phone's issue or mine because sometimes I swear I can't reproduce it if I just stop fidgeting.

21. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

22. Bdubb macrumors regular

Bdubb

No,

because I was dumb enough to not use TinyUmbrella and thus also Upgrading my baseband to 02.10.xx, and now my phone is not Unlock friendly anymore.:(

23. mikeee macrumors regular

well i just updated to 4.1 jailbroken/unlock and updated cydia essentials and i barely used my phone for 30-40 mins and im down to 93%, does that look right? this feels like how it felt when i was on 4.0.2 jailbroken/unlock.

24. big samm macrumors 65816

don't forget uplaoding HD videos on YouTube and mobile me

25. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

Yea, none of my LockInfo mods are working, got to get busy changing file names.