Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you planning to upgrade to the iPhone 15/Pro/Max?

• Yes

Votes: 552 43.5%
  • No

Votes: 425 33.5%
  • Unsure and/or depends on features offered

Votes: 293 23.1%

• Total voters

Marty80

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
Melbourne
I am still hanging onto my 12 pro max. The 6.8” screen rumoured for next is a big deal for me given i am media junkie on my iphone.

Also the aging design is not enticing me to upgrade just yet.

Reactions: grover5

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Definitely going with the 15 Pro Max, for the first time I’m thinking of going without a case, my Apple Watch Ultra is holding up well and it’s also made out of Titanium.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Definitely going with the 15 Pro Max, for the first time I’m thinking of going without a case, my Apple Watch Ultra is holding up well and it’s also made out of Titanium.

Isn't it only covered in Titanium coating with Aluminium underneath? I wonder if it could technically still "chip off" (does that make sense?) if it does not hold together as expected over time

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I am pleased the pricing remained constant and my X -> 15 Pro journey is confirmed in my mind. Like others, I am tempted to go naked with the titanium colour :)

I'm pleasantly surprised that we got a price reduction here in the UK, inflation and Brexit must be doing better 🤣

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Isn't it only covered in Titanium coating with Aluminium underneath? I wonder if it could technically still "chip off" (does that make sense?) if it does not hold together as expected

No, the outside frame is Titanium and they have bonded a new internal aluminium frame. As mentioned on Apple's website.

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 9.14.35 am.png

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
I'm pleasantly surprised that we got a price reduction here in the UK, inflation and Brexit must be doing better 🤣
Well it’s the only pleasant surprise I’ve had in a while in the UK. Everything else is going up but how thoughtful of Apple to save us £50 during the cost of living crisis 😂

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I'm still deciding. I have a 13PM that is doing fine. Battery health is at 91%. Plenty of storage space (its the 512GB version). However I tend to hand phones down the family chain - so mine goes to my wife, hers down to my daughter, and so on, and my daughters phone is getting a little old.....so am considering upgrading mine so we can all update down the chain! However, I'm in two minds, as theres not enough in it to justify the 'upgrade'....

wib

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2013
I'm quite disappointed. I've physically saved up for the upgrade (from 7+) and was really excited about it. It seems like almost less than an 's' upgrade (although of course lightyears ahead of what I have now).

Then I thought `Oh well, I'll get the 14 Pro and then change again to the 16...'. I completely forgot they stop selling the previous generation's flagship models. I've got a feeling if they were selling them at a reduced price while stocks last, they'd sell out really quickly because a few people with older models looking to upgrade, but not feeling the 15 was quite amazing enough for the price of a computer, would snap up the previous generation if it was a bit more reasonably priced.

Having said that, when they have display models in the shops, I might fall in love and buy one...

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

NMSUballa

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
I'm still deciding. I have a 13PM that is doing fine. Battery health is at 91%. Plenty of storage space (its the 512GB version). However I tend to hand phones down the family chain - so mine goes to my wife, hers down to my daughter, and so on, and my daughters phone is getting a little old.....so am considering upgrading mine so we can all update down the chain! However, I'm in two minds, as theres not enough in it to justify the 'upgrade'....
Upgrade for your wife and move the other phones down the line while keeping your 13 pro max.

kmpowell

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2003
I'm going 15PM from a 12PM.

3yrs is the longest I've ever waited between upgrades since launch in 2007. The camera is always my primary reason to upgrade, so I nearly went for the 14PM last year when the 48mp upgrade was announced, but I decided to stretch my 12PM out a little longer because the 2nd generation camera iterations have historically always been better. From what I saw last night I won't be disappointed with the upgrade, as the camera is a serious step up from my 12PM, and also the 14PM.

Daventry

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2011
Those of you not buying a case or screen protector, are you getting AppleCare+?

If so - Does it cover cosmetic damages? Other insurers won't accept a claim if it's a scratch or dent but the phone is still working as expected.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013

If so - Does it cover cosmetic damages? Other insurers won't accept a claim if it's a scratch or dent but the phone is still working as expected.

I'm not 100% sure I will yet, however I never buy Apple Care, Apple are really good at sorting out issues without it. If I do go without a case, I won't get Apple Care.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin

It could always just drop a little harder ;)

I had AppleCare+ on my iPhone 12 Pro Max and Apple Watch but it honestly seemed to be a waste of money. I mostly got it to make sure I could get a free battery replacement eventually but the health literally refuses to go below 80%!

jfim88

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2016
Spain
I’m still thinking about it.

I have a 13 Pro Max in perfect condition.

Thought about upgrading to 15 Plus but I think I’ll miss Pro Motion.

If I go for a 15 Pro Max, Apple gives me 580€ for my 13 Pro Max 128, so the 15 Pro Max will cost me 889€ with Trade In.

Not sure…I want to upgrade but it’s only about getting a new device. I’m used to upgrading every year. But my 13PM it’s running really well and it’s an excellent phone.

Maybe better to upgrade my Watch Series 6 SS for an Ultra 2?

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I have a 13 Pro Max with an Apple Silicon case - in perfect condition. 91% battery health.
I had the Applecare+ with Theft and Loss on it.
Never used it.
I always get Applecare+ but this time I'm not going to bother. Fortunately I have never needed to use Applecare for any iPhone I've ever owned. I always buy it as a 'just in case' insurance. But this time I'm gonna pass.

Kukulcan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
I'm torn between updating my 12 mini to a 13 mini to have that form factor (which I like) for like another 3 years.

Or going 15 Pro without a case to minimize effective size increase. Would be mostly for USB-C and camera improvements, I don't really need the extra power.

Larger screen would be nice for browsing because many sites drop their page optimizations for small phones.

Persicope camera would be the only feature that would make me wait for 16 pro, but that is rumored to be even larger.

Last edited:

JohnRckr

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2023
I'm thinking of switching from S23U to 15PM, not necessarily because of what apple showed us yesterday, but for better battery life and apple books haha

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States

Inflation may be "better" but there’s still inflation. The currency exchange rate is the reason for the price decreases this year, and the reason for the price increases last year. The exchange rate (stronger or weaker USD relative to local currencies) can have a lot to do with iPhone price changes outside the U.S.

CalmEnvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
$115. Cheap!? :eek: Is this the 'one cell line provider available' thing I hear about in US cities? I pay £12 p/m for 50GB 5G. £27 all in for me and my partner and a line for my Ultra.
I’m in Canada, we have some of the highest cost for cellular services as there is a monopoly between Rogers/Bell/Telus. The $115 is with an employee discount as well.

If let’s say you want to upgrade and not purchase your phone directly from Apple, they will make you change your plan and say that your old plan isn’t available anymore. Cheapest plan is $77.5 after a two line discount so with taxes in Ontario that would be $175.15 for 2 phones. Plus if you pay monthly for your phone you have to add that on top. Cell phone companies suck here lol.

batristain

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
Richmond,VA
As an iPhone 14 Pro Max owner I don't see the iPhone 15 Pro Max as a revolutionary step forward. I feel generally underwhelmed by the announcement.

I am in the upgrade program so it won't cost me anything to upgrade to the 15. However, I may just hold on to the 14, pay out the upgrade loan, and start again next year with the iPhone 16, which is already rumored to be the bigger upgrade.
I feel the same way...

Frankfurt

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2016
USA
Upgrading from 12 Pro 128GB to 15 Pro MAX 512GB Blue… I am a bit concerned about the larger size, but want that better tele lense. Storage upgrade to accommodate original size photo library on the phone instead of just on the Mac.
I typically upgrade every 2-3 years.

EastHillWill

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2020
Boise, ID
I have no idea, ha. I'm an annual upgrader (sorry), but I broke my 14 Pro and have been using an 11 Pro. The hand feel of this phone is so much nicer, I'm not sure about going back to the new style. If the camera reviews are really positive it will be hard to resist though. In bright light the 11 Pro is very good, but in other circumstances it's certainly a few steps behind the recent phones.

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2022

I used to get applecare on every phone that had it available but I switched to T-Mobile insurance because it offers Jump upgrades after a year. I’ve always used a case but no screen protector. This might be the first time I try going caseless.

darkmatter343

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I'm not 100% sure I will yet, however I never buy Apple Care, Apple are really good at sorting out issues without it. If I do go without a case, I won't get Apple Care.
Apple Care is 100% worth it IMO especially true if going case-less. Wife’s iPhone 13 Pro Max had the back glass smashed, along with the glass around the 3 cameras. Without AC+ would have been $700 repair. They only charged me $39.

It could always just drop a little harder ;)

I had AppleCare+ on my iPhone 12 Pro Max and Apple Watch but it honestly seemed to be a waste of money. I mostly got it to make sure I could get a free battery replacement eventually but the health literally refuses to go below 80%!
It worth it IMH. Yeah it’s an upfront cost but for accidental damage alone it’s worth the cost, and while they do charge a deductible it’s a helluv a lot cheaper than buying a new phone or paying for the full repair. I shutter at the thought of owning a $1500 phone and not having coverage in case the screen cracked or I dropped it, especially caseless. To each their own, but having used it many times on iPads & phones... worth the investment.

I’m in Canada, we have some of the highest cost for cellular services as there is a monopoly between Rogers/Bell/Telus. The $115 is with an employee discount as well.

If let’s say you want to upgrade and not purchase your phone directly from Apple, they will make you change your plan and say that your old plan isn’t available anymore. Cheapest plan is $77.5 after a two line discount so with taxes in Ontario that would be $175.15 for 2 phones. Plus if you pay monthly for your phone you have to add that on top. Cell phone companies suck here lol.
^ 💯% Truth here. Even with my 30% discount per line, I pay $50 for 20GB of 5G capped at 250Mbs speed. If you want full 5G speed, it’s a kidney—ok only $20-$30 more, but all this is without a phone. So you can add at least $15-25 for a iPhone 12/13 and $30-40+ for any Pro models. We Canadians are use to the $100/ for month single line phone+plan bill. That’s why when you hear Canadian has the worlds highest mobile rates, it’s not a joke. Most of the big 3—the only 3 carriers here-Rogers, Bell, Telus charge roughly $85 and that’s the basic plan with 20GB “5G” and then if you want a phone with it, usually $100+ then taxes etc.
But hey!! Get a discount they say for every line you add 🤣 Unfortunately Canada’s CRTC (equivalent to US FCC) hates competition and prefers we just have 3 big telecom companies that run things. We have a few discount carriers but they are all owned and operated by the big 3 anyways. You can often find “deals” with them but often with slower data plans, less data, and no discounts on the phones.

Anyone Canadian here looking for a solution, if you have a US address or a friends US address you can use, drive over the border, grab yourself a Google Fi SIM card or e-Sim and enjoy $20/month unlimited calling texting in Canada with unlimited roaming back home and in 180? Countries, That’s what I did. Freakin amazing price. Data is IIRC $10/GB upto a max of $60 then it’s unlimited. While the CRTC hates you roaming for 30+ days Google Fi seems to be the exception from what I hear and I’ve been using it for over 2 years without issue. Once in a while I do drop down to NYC or somewhere else in the US, so you be be required to check into a US tower once a year or something? When I’m in Toronto Google uses Rogers if I’m not mistaken, or Virgin Mobile which again is a subsidiary of Bell Canada. Activation MUST be done IN the US. Then you can drive fly back to Canada.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.