Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you planning to upgrade to the iPhone 15/Pro/Max?

• Yes

Votes: 552 43.5%
  • No

Votes: 425 33.5%
  • Unsure and/or depends on features offered

Votes: 293 23.1%

• Total voters

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
I most definitely am. My 12 pro max has been a champ but the battery life is awful and the bottom speaker stopped working. Listening to anything with just the earpiece speaker is atrocious.
I’m trading in my 12pm for the 15pm via Apple. I was quoted $450 based on the questions they asked me. Anyone know if they’ll lower my quote once they realize the battery is heavily degraded and the bottom speaker doesn’t work?

no0nefamous

macrumors regular
May 11, 2021
I was considering upgrading, but the removal of the silent mode toggle switch is kind of a big deal to me. I really like being able to know the status of the phone just by feeling the physical position of the switch.

Does the new action button allow the phone to accidentally switch silent mode on/off in your pocket? If you choose a different action for the button, how annoying is it to turn silent mode on/off from the Control Center?

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
I was considering upgrading, but the removal of the silent mode toggle switch is kind of a big deal to me. I really like being able to know the status of the phone just by feeling the physical position of the switch.

Does the new action button allow the phone to accidentally switch silent mode on/off in your pocket? If you choose a different action for the button, how annoying is it to turn silent mode on/off from the Control Center?
Seeing as you have to hold the button for a second to activate the action I don’t think accidental presses are going to be an issue.

elit3nemesis

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2009
I'm going to go from the iPhone 12 Pro to the iPhone 15 Pro. I've always had AppleCare (4 phones) only used it once (iPhone X) to replace a battery.

Someone convince me not to get it this time?

xxray

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
I'm going to go from the iPhone 12 Pro to the iPhone 15 Pro. I've always had AppleCare (4 phones) only used it once (iPhone X) to replace a battery.

Someone convince me not to get it this time?

I’ve never bought AppleCare. I believe in insurance in general, but AC always seemed like a waste of money to me. I’ve only ever cracked one phone out of my 15 years of having cell phones. I didn’t even crack the screen, and it was like 3 months before I was upgrading to a new phone anyways.

YMMV depending on your lifestyle, how clumsy you are, and how much peace of mind you like to have, but I still have no plans to ever buy it.

*knocks on wood*

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
I’ve never bought AppleCare. I believe in insurance in general, but AC always seemed like a waste of money to me. I’ve only ever cracked one phone out of my 15 years of having cell phones. I didn’t even crack the screen, and it was like 3 months before I was upgrading to a new phone anyways.

YMMV depending on your lifestyle, how clumsy you are, and how much peace of mind you like to have, but I still have no plans to ever buy it.

*knocks on wood*
Think of it like real insurance policy.
If you hit a lawyer, can you pay them disability for 6 month? If no, then up the liability.
If the car crashes, tree fallen, deer hit - can you buy other car right away? If no, then buy collision and damage.
If your phone breaks, shutters, how likely you can replace it or go along with cracked screen? If no, then buy apple care.

Reactions: jimmy_uk and xxray

NMSUballa

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012

Get the iPhone 15. You can still get the mute switch with that option.

autofree

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2008
Buying iPhone 15 Pro Max, because I have no self-control. I narrowly managed to avoiding the jump from 13PM to 14PM last year. Is it a worthwhile upgrade? No. Will I do it anyway? Yes.
Same. I actually bought the 14PM, used it for 1 week, realized it was pretty much the same phone as the 13PM, and returned it. Definitely upgrading to the 15PM, incremental updates and all...

Solenoid289

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2020
Japan
No. I don't see the benefit of getting the iPhone 15 series since I already have the 14 Pro which has everything I need, Always-On-Display, decent battery, blazing fast processor, crash detection, etc.
Also I always carry a tiny mirrorless camera, so I don't need a fancy camera on my phone.

tkmyzw

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2020
Buying 15 but haven't decided either PM or Pro yet. I have 12PM and my wife has XS, so I'm passing over my 12PM then sell her XS just around $160.

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
Well I'm going back on what I said and not going to upgrade to the 15PM just right now...

My 3mnth old 14PM is doing a sterling job; it's immaculate/as new and does all that I need of it and seeing as I use Magsafe charging, the USB C move isn't as important to me...

I probably will upgrade in the near future; but for now, it's not the right time. More so as I'm about to spend £2k refreshing the suspension on my BMW F31... That's more important currently!

AgentMcGeek

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2016
London, UK
I think this will be the first year I'm considering the non Pro version. Had my 13PM since launch and to be honest I dont feel I'm a "pro" user anymore. I've actually made a conscious effort to reduce my screen time and use my phone less so it doesn't make sense to get the most expensive version. Only thing I'm hesitant about is going back to 60hz
Exact same situation. Coming from the 13 Pro and hesitant about upgrading at all, and if so whether I should go for the non Pro this time.

Reactions: coney718

Yuuuki

macrumors regular
May 28, 2023
Thinking about switching from 14 PM to a 15 Plus.. just because the lower weight it has. Kinda regret even getting the 14 PM tbh. Ofc the 120hz are nice but do I really need it…? Not really. Beside I don’t really use any other Pro feature that would matter to me. For just random cat dog photos honestly the 15 Plus camera would just be fine…

Anyway not really sure if I’ll do it or not. Love the rose Color of the 15 Plus… was love at first sight 😂

MAcNIAC

Cancelled
Oct 27, 2006
12pm to 15 pro for me.
don't think I'll increase storage I got 512 last time same again I think ... its time I embraced the cloud

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
Pretty much same for me. I *might8 consider getting a cheap-ish (in Apple terms anyway) 14PM for the satellite/roadside assistance stuff that will also be available with the 14. But otherwise sticking with the 13PM.

Don't worry Apple shareholders. I still will likely pick up an M2 Macbook Air later on in the Fall. :)

Cedo_

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2020
Yes. I budget for new phones every year, it’s something I really enjoy having the latest models, colors, features, etc. After trade in, it’s only a few hundred dollars.

Have a 14 PM, going to the Pro as I really prefer a lighter and “pro” phone that I can comfortably use with one hand.

Swissfashion

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2020
Switzerland
Planning on upgrading from iPhone 13 mini with 128 GB to the iPhone 15 with 256 GB. I need more battery and storage. The camera improvements, satellite connectivity and crash detection are also major incentives, especially since satellite connectivity will be coming to Switzerland this year. The pro has too many pro features I’d never use.

UKapple73

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2014
Yes. I budget for new phones every year, it’s something I really enjoy having the latest models, colors, features, etc. After trade in, it’s only a few hundred dollars.

Have a 14 PM, going to the Pro as I really prefer a lighter and “pro” phone that I can comfortably use with one hand.
Same here. The last time I skipped an iPhone was the iPhone X and 8, mainly because the X didn’t have a big screen
Have to admit though, last few years the upgrades are getting fewer year on year. Last one had at least the always on display which is major. This year- even the redesign which is normally a major change, isn’t much different!!
I’ll still upgrade though lol

Reactions: Cedo_

PsychicRutabaga

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2015
Minnesota
Not this year, thanks. I just upgraded from the 8+ to the 14 Pro Max this summer. My 8+ still runs fine and could have probably gone another year or two, but I was finally convinced to upgrade for the Satellite SOS feature. We vacationed all over the southwestern US and were in some very remote areas. Knowing we could reach out for help if we had vehicle or health problems gave us real peace of mind.

Besides, tiny incremental upgrades every year aren't very exciting and I don't like adding too much to the e-waste problem. Jumping five generations from the 8+ to 14PM on the other hand gave me a lot of cool new stuff to play with. We'll see if the 14 lasts me until the iPhone 19. That is, unless Apple decides to boycott the number 9 again and skips from 18 to 20. :p

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Ok fine! I'll upgrade but this is it dammit! I have to stop this disease of needing the latest and greatest every year... I've gotten every phone since like the 4 ugh! but I am putting my foot down with my inner techie and holding on to the 15PM until we get an all screen iphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.