Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you planning to upgrade to the iPhone 15/Pro/Max?

• Yes

Votes: 552 43.5%
  • No

Votes: 425 33.5%
  • Unsure and/or depends on features offered

Votes: 293 23.1%

• Total voters

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Well I'm going back on what I said and not going to upgrade to the 15PM just right now...

My 3mnth old 14PM is doing a sterling job; it's immaculate/as new and does all that I need of it and seeing as I use Magsafe charging, the USB C move isn't as important to me...

I probably will upgrade in the near future; but for now, it's not the right time. More so as I'm about to spend £2k refreshing the suspension on my BMW F31... That's more important currently!

if you bought a 14PM recently, I dont think there's any real compelling reason to get a 15 PM other than 'you want to'

which is fine but probably a wise choice

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
When I got my 14PM, I intended to to keep it for 2-3 years but given the battery degradation on my device, I’m thinking of upgrading to the 15PM. Still on the fence.
This was my justification too. my 14PM is at 91% battery health and that just doesn't seem right. My wife bought her 13PM on launch day so its about 2 years old and hers is at 94%... our charging habits are identical.

• Wow
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

Snot Rox

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
SF Bay Area, CA
This was my justification too. my 14PM is at 91% battery health and that just doesn't seem right. My wife bought her 13PM on launch day so its about 2 years old and hers is at 94%... our charging habits are identical.

My 13PM (got it at launch) was at 99% when I traded it in for my 14PM. On hindsight, I'd rather have kept my 13PM if I had known it was gonna be like that. My Xr that I passed down to my mom is at 91% battery health and she is heavy on her phone.

Reactions: ctjack

AnInanimateCarbonRod

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2017
I have absolutely no reason to and yet have completely failed to resist any temptation to upgrade this year. I'll be going from a 13 Pro to a 15 Pro Max. Not sure about colour yet - I think that'll be a bit of a last minute decision, black is typically my go to but the natural titanium did look quite nice in the hands on videos I saw. I'm justifying my decision by saying that my 13 Pro can be "handed down" to one of my parents who are both on 2nd generation SEs, it'll be a nice upgrade for them.

For even less reason I'm also trading in my Watch Series 7 for a Series 9 and just going all in on the new stuff. The improved peak outdoor brightness will be valuable for me, I've definitely wished for a brighter screen several times. But I don't actually need it.

Quarric

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2020
Will be keeping my 13pro and upgrading my watch instead, originally was considering the ultra2, but going for the s9, I think the ultra is just a but to bulky for my thin wrists, but the main reason is cost, i buy my stuff outright, and I simply can’t justify spending that much on a watch given my personal use case. I did consider spending a bit more and going for the cellular version, but my provider isn’t supported for that, so there’s no point. Going for a midnight 41mm. Will hang on to my s6 and see if any relatives want it, it’s still in decent condition though it’ll likely need a battery refresh for anyone who isn’t a light user. Hope those upgrading their phones enjoy their new ones.

applepotato666

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2016
I'm still deciding. I have a 13PM that is doing fine. Battery health is at 91%. Plenty of storage space (its the 512GB version). However I tend to hand phones down the family chain - so mine goes to my wife, hers down to my daughter, and so on, and my daughters phone is getting a little old.....so am considering upgrading mine so we can all update down the chain! However, I'm in two minds, as theres not enough in it to justify the 'upgrade'....
Same here. My mother happens to need a new phone right now. I have the regular 13 which I planned to keep for at least 3 more years but I could switch to the 15 even though it’s not a big upgrade. The other option is getting her a 13 too, but that would be two 13s to pass down later on at which point the 13 would be too old and the price difference between 13 and 15 is not that big.

Reactions: Ifti

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Same here. My mother happens to need a new phone right now. I have the regular 13 which I planned to keep for at least 3 more years but I could switch to the 15 even though it’s not a big upgrade. The other option is getting her a 13 too, but that would be two 13s to pass down later on at which point the 13 would be too old and the price difference between 13 and 15 is not that big.

I get you ;)

I have the 13 PM, which I’m happy with.
My wife has the 12 Pro, which she doesn’t like. She wants to go back to a larger sized phone.
My daughter has a XS, which could now do with an upgrade.
Other daughter has an 11 Pro, which is OK. Has 75% battery health but she says it still lasts her the day! Lol

I‘m the main tech person in the household and like the latest tech. So I’m thinking if I get the 15PM, wife gets the 13PM so she’s happy, daughter with the XS gets a 12, so she’s happy, and will leave the 11 as is for now, maybe upgrade it to a 13 next year for a good price…..

I have the pre-preorder set, and will probably go through with it TBH. Will keep us going another 2 years or so at the very least.

Generally I always purchase and pay the full amount up front. Always have done. But this time considering the finance is 0% thought I’d give it a try! Lol

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
I’ll wait and see what the USB-C port can offer me. Otherwise, I’m happy with my 14 Pro right now.

If I can use my iPhone as my only device again with Shadow PC running at 4K/60hz to the external display (and assuming they fix the mouse support), I think that might be more than enough for me to update. The 15s support that natively now, it might just be waiting for Shadow PC to update their app now. I’d probably pair this with a Nexdock. The iPad version of their app does currently support this.

Would have loved to see the iPad’s Stage Manager built in though.

I’d also like to see some photos taken with the 15PM. I only use my 20 year old DSLR for telephoto photos, I’m curious if the 15PM can replace this yet.

mel823

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
NYC
When I got my 14PM, I intended to to keep it for 2-3 years but given the battery degradation on my device, I’m thinking of upgrading to the 15PM. Still on the fence.

Same. I’m down to 89%.

I traded in my 13PM on Monday so I have an Apple gift card with the trade in value on it and if I trade in my 14PM when I purchase a 15 PM, it will cover the cost of the 15PM.

Rob9874

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2010
I'm still undecided, and I know I need to decide soon for preorder. I traded in my 12 Pro for the $1000 discount through AT&T on my 14PM, but you get the discount in $28 monthly increments. So to trade in my 14PM, I need to pay it off first ($832). Not sure I want to do that for incremental changes and USB-C. Then again, my battery is down to 90%.

JiggyJaggy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2020
Only upgrading as everything else I own is pretty much USB-c. No just wish Apple changed the MagSafe Duo and Apple Battery Pack thingy to USB-c and that would be travel life sorted!

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I was considering upgrading, but the removal of the silent mode toggle switch is kind of a big deal to me. I really like being able to know the status of the phone just by feeling the physical position of the switch.

Does the new action button allow the phone to accidentally switch silent mode on/off in your pocket? If you choose a different action for the button, how annoying is it to turn silent mode on/off from the Control Center?
Have you considered using assistive touch to activate silent mode? I’m looking forward to the action button — much more useful to me.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Definitely going with the 15 Pro Max, for the first time I’m thinking of going without a case, my Apple Watch Ultra is holding up well and it’s also made out of Titanium.
Me too on going sans case. I’m planning on glass protection and monthly AC.

SpaceCrystal

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2021
Anyone thinking about going for either the iPhone 12, the iPhone 13 Mini, or the iPhone 14 Pro & Pro Max models, I wouldn't bother. Apple has already discontinued them from their Apple online store.

Pretty soon, I'm positive that they'll also discontinue the iPhone SE3, the original iPhone 13 & both the original iPhone 14 & the 14 Plus models once the entire iPhone 15 series are officially released.

And so will the rest of the retail stores, as thanks to the EU Commission, they & Apple aren't allowed to sell anymore iPhones with Lightning ports.

Last edited:

OrenLindsey

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2023
North Carolina
Pretty soon, I'm positive that they'll also discontinue the iPhone SE, the original iPhone 13 & both the original iPhone 14 & the 14 Plus models once the entire iPhone 15 series are officially released.
They usually keep the last 2 years of phones and lower the price by $100 each time a new one comes out.
Also, the SE gen 4 is likely coming next year. In that case, they will either get rid of the SE 3rd gen or lower the price.

ShadowGuardian87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Virginia
I am still hanging onto my 12 pro max. The 6.8” screen rumoured for next is a big deal for me given i am media junkie on my iphone.

Also the aging design is not enticing me to upgrade just yet.

For me the biggest interest is the A17 chip and the 5X camera on the 15 pro max. The rest of the camera is the same as the 14 pro max outside of the 5X zoom.

The A17 chip interests me for gaming but if the 16 is going to have a 6.9 inch screen then I would rather wait for that for gaming on the iPhone.

Also USB-C is nice but not a reason to upgrade for me at this point.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
One reason. Price.

I skipped the 14 so itching to get back. Then again I'm going to Philippines this December and might go with Xiaomi 13 Pro. Love my 12t.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
For me the biggest interest is the A17 chip and the 5X camera on the 15 pro max. The rest of the camera is the same as the 14 pro max outside of the 5X zoom.

The A17 chip interests me for gaming but if the 16 is going to have a 6.9 inch screen then I would rather wait for that for gaming on the iPhone.

Also USB-C is nice but not a reason to upgrade for me at this point.
Funny, I don't use the Pro motion stuff, 4K, camera zoom nor for gaming.

I just have them as a "point and shoot" camera, emails, and texting.

Guess I'll skip the 15 since the 14+ and 14PM are more than enough for me.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.