Are you switching off iTunes to Amazon's MP3 service?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by regulate, Apr 29, 2011.

1. regulate, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011

regulate macrumors newbie

As an earlier post noted, Amazon is selling all their bestselling MP3s for 69 cents, which is about half the price of what iTunes sells 'em for.

Are you going to start buying MP3s from Amazon instead of iTunes? Or is the convenience of iTunes enough to keep you in the Apple ecosystem?

In case you missed it:
    Amazon.com: Bestsellers in MP3 Songs

:apple::confused:

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

No, not until Amazon makes a bloated, slow, ugly program that is the only way to access it and control my music in a easy, yet confusing, manner.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

A great deal of my music is already purchased from amazon. I still use iTunes to manage it.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm using iTunes to manage my music; however, I am purchasing it where I find it cheapest. I won't be going away from iTunes Store completely as some songs are not available on Amazon.

5. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

If the cheap tracks are in the UK also, then I will be.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Already using Amazon. I haven't bought anything from iTunes since Amazon opened their store.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Can't get it to work, so no. Every purchase attempt just gives me something like "this item is not available for purchase".

8. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I have bought a few things from Amazon and a few things from iTunes. I still usually by CD's thou and rip them myself.

9. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

It's the same with me. I started using Amazon because they had a higher bitrate and more importantly, no DRM at the time. I have been using them ever since.

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

yep. Itunes handles my libary and the only reason really for that any more is because all my playlist I built up are in iTunes and I have some DRM itunes music that I like to listen 2.

11. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I've been using Amazon for the last year or two, since I found out about them. Songs download directly into iTunes and are usually MUCH more cheaper than iTunes (especially albums).

This whole new cloud thing is pretty cool though, 20gb's after the purchase of an album, accessible anywhere. I'm a fan.

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

:confused: Sales tax issue, with New Zealand, perhaps?

I very seldom trust messages of this type, as they are usually "drop-out" messages, when something in the code above them fails.

13. mljones99 macrumors regular

I use Amazon. I don't even have iTunes on my computer anymore. I download from Amazon and manage everything with MediaMonkey.

14. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Same here...more and more of my music is purchased from Amazon. Lately most of my iTunes purchases are TV Shows/Movies, and usually just when I get iTunes gift cards to use. Otherwise the music from Amazon is of the same quality for less money!

15. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It does look like a very generic message but I'd heard that it's supposed to work here. I've tried it a few times over the last couple of years and it never works, so I usually just find myself using iTunes these days (especially since the music became DRM-free).

16. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Same here. I use Amazon when it's cheaper.

17. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

I can't - yet. Only US and Uk if I understand correctly?

18. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Lolz. :)

I use Amazon maybe 10% of the time. I like Apple's store better, but sometimes the Amazon pricing is just too good to pass up. One double-album I bought was $8.99 on Amazon, as opposed to $19.99 on iTunes! :eek:

19. ender land macrumors 6502a

I have never purchased items through the iTunes store.

I have from Amazon's (bought something this morning actually :p).

20. csims macrumors newbie

Amazon just released an update that supports their Cloud player on iOS devices, which is nifty too.

21. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

No, iTunes is what I'm used to for syncing my iPods/iPhone. But I admittedly also don't buy all my music...

22. LinMac macrumors 65816

Just be honest and say "any" instead of "all". :D

23. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I do what any sensible person would do: When there is music or audiobooks I want to buy I go to the place where it is cheapest, all else being equal. But I prefer AAC (higher quality at same size), and downloading from iTunes is easier, and it is possible to buy iTunes vouchers below face value (I paid £25 for two £15 iTunes vouchers at Argos, reducing the price of everything by 16.6%), so Amazon would have to be _significantly_ cheaper.

And remember that iTunes has offers as well, and I have found stuff a lot cheaper on iTunes.