General Are you updating from pangu 8.1 to taig 8.1.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by thadoggfather, Nov 29, 2014.

?

So are you ?

1. No incentive pangu 8.1 does the trick

41 vote(s)
    37.3%
  2. Yes! Legacy device helps or I just want bleeding edge / hope it fixes stuff

33 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. Eventually but going to wait it out

36 vote(s)
    32.7%
  1. mattkilla macrumors member

Wifiried is certainly still needed!!

2. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

What kind of router do you guys have? I haven't had an issue with mine and was receiving a constant connection with mine and was receiving pretty close to my max speed all the way to my bedroom.

3. lyceumHQ macrumors 65816

lyceumHQ

I updated since it saves some space and I only have the 16gb iPhone.

No problems at all so far. Tweaks seem stable. I didn't restore via iTunes as I usually would I just updated with iTunes then ran Taig and all went well.

4. DennischNL macrumors newbie

I heard you can, if you have now a jailbreak on 8.1 (pangu), that you can do a update to 8.1.1 trough iTunes (so all your data stays) and jailbreak it again with Taig?

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You must click the restore button in iTunes to go to iOS 8.1.1. You cannot update when jailbroken.

6. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

Not necessarily true. It's recommended that you restore, however I just updated from 8.1 jailbroken from Pangu and updated through iTunes and rejailbroke with Taig and it worked perfectly fine. (I was too lazy to do a full restore.)

7. mattkilla macrumors member

Are you updating from pangu 8.1 to taig 8.1.1

It's not a problem of speed it is a problem of re-connectivity. When you go out of a wifi zone then return it seldomly connects by itself without having to go to settings page.

Same problem consists at work and home. 2 totally different connections and router.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Prepare yourself for the oncoming instability and other unwanted negative effects of doing that.

9. kalirob99 macrumors 68000

kalirob99

I'm with Intell, with an issue like the Wifi issues you shouldn't be suggesting people avoid a restore before moving to 8.1.1

10. dare2winn macrumors newbie

how did u updated jailbroken 8.1 to ios 8.1.1 ? via ota or via i tunes? i am new so getting confused? and will all tweaks go if u update it to newer version of ios? please help friend :apple:

11. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

Nothing negative so far, I didn't have the WiFi issue on 8.1 and everything seems fine on 8.1.1. I have all the same tweaks as before and everything appears to be running smoothly. The only thing I have heard is that doing the upgrade takes an additional 500MB of storage. So I may do a restore soon. I just was too lazy to do a back up and restore.

----------

I didn't suggest doing the upgrade option, I was simply saying that it can be done. That's why I said 'it's recommended that you restore'.

----------

OTA is not an option if you're jailbroken, but itunes can do the upgrade/restore. If you aren't jailbroken and OTA, it's recommended you do a full restore before jailbreaking as it may cause the jailbreak process
    to fail. If you do the upgrade (not recommended), the tweaks and such don't carry over when you rejailbreak and would need to re-install those.

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The instability won't start to appear until you install more complex things from Cydia. Then you'll start to get kernel panics.

13. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G4

thadoggfather

Now the question is 8.1.1 to 8.1.2?

Me thinks no.

14. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Nope. :D

I did go ahead and move up to 8.1.1 today before TaiG released the update. On a VM setup, the JB itself took me over an hour. My poor elderly MBP was not happy about running VirtualBox and Windows 10.

So no, I'm not willing to do that again without some major reason to do so. LOL I wouldn't have even gone up this far if my 8.1 JB had been stable. I was still having way too many crashes on a very stripped down setup, including blue screens and the occasional bootloop. Figured I'd try the update and new JB in hopes it does better.

15. jpcarro macrumors 6502

jpcarro

I've never restored for minor iOS updates and I don't have problems with stability. I run a list of 72 jailbreak apps from the standard Cydia sources and plenty are complex.

The one buggy app I run is Springtomize and certain tweaks within the app will cause safe-mode boots. These are know problems and I just stay away from those tweaks. But, it has nothing to do with NOT restoring and installing clean.

There's no harm in taking the short path of not restoring. If you run into problems down the road, then do a restore and clean install to see if it clears up the issue.

My JB on 8.1 was completely stable, as was 8.1.1 and now, so far, 8.1.2. Your mileage may vary.

16. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

To the end user, it may appear to not have problems, but it does. Background processes crash/hang much too often. Some of the problems attributed to low memory or iOS bugs that present themselves to the end user are a result of not restoring.

17. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

New Iphone 6 on its way

My new Iphone 6 is due in later this week. I imagine will arrive with IOS 8.1.1 so Pangu will not work. I downloaded Taig but don't know how to run it since as said before it is in Chinese language. Does anyone know of a link with instructions in English?

18. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

http://www.taig.com/en/

19. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Thanks!!!:)