Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
what do you think about ARMacs future prices? I assume that should be cheaper to produce as I expect everything to be integrated, non user replaceable memory nor disk. And they could reuse a lot of its current infrastructure for the mobile devices. The other thing is if Apple wants to reflect this on final prices...

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
Aren’t new designs for Apple computers really expensive to start? Original MacBook Air, retina MacBook Pro, MacBook 12”. Possibly others. Thats how I remember it. I’m guessing a hypothetical 14” ARM MacBook Pro is around $2000

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2012
I would think they'd keep it competitive with the intel models if not drop it a bit. They can take the hit I assume since they're in house now, as well as a way to motivate people to adapt faster or at all. If you hit the really high end models or Mac Pro I assume it'll be expensive, but baselines should be a pretty decent price or I hope they are anyways.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Aren’t new designs for Apple computers really expensive to start? Original MacBook Air, retina MacBook Pro, MacBook 12”. Possibly others. Thats how I remember it. I’m guessing a hypothetical 14” ARM MacBook Pro is around $2000

They were indeed high, but they were still using Intel chips, SSD was extremely new, and they had just devised a new manufacturing process to create the all new unibody design.

But in 2020, its an entirely different ball game in my opinion. Unibody manufacturing has matured, SSD prices are affordable, and Apple Silicon is now all in-house.

glindon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
Phoenix
Economies of scale would dictate that the price of Apple Cpus will be much cheaper than Intel. For instance you get the latest iPhone cpu in the cheapest iPhone SE. The cpu BOM is probably around $40 (including the 3gb of ram). The "cheap" Intel cpus in Macs are closer to $300 in price. The 16" i9 8 core is $550 and doesn't include the chipset so you're probably close to the $600 range for intel and Apple could slap 2 A14s in a single package for under $100. Of course Apple being a business might decide to just pocket the $500 savings from buying Intel.

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
I think it depends... If Apple seriously wants back into the education market, they need a laptop that can compete on price with Chromebooks and cheap Windows 10 laptops. Not necessarily the Uber cheap bottom of the barrel Chromebooks, but at the very least a $300-$400 unit that checks all the essential productivity boxes. iPads are getting better, but it still isn’t the solution educators necessarily want. I don’t know if Apple would do this as it would no doubt erode iPad sales.

Similarly, they could probably sell a lot of Macs in the SMB space if they had a similarly priced desktop, but I don’t think that is a space Apple is interested in anymore outside of creatives. On the other hand, they did just rebrand FileMaker back to Claris though...

ssgbryan

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Economies of scale would dictate that the price of Apple Cpus will be much cheaper than Intel. For instance you get the latest iPhone cpu in the cheapest iPhone SE. The cpu BOM is probably around $40 (including the 3gb of ram). The "cheap" Intel cpus in Macs are closer to $300 in price. The 16" i9 8 core is $550 and doesn't include the chipset so you're probably close to the $600 range for intel and Apple could slap 2 A14s in a single package for under $100. Of course Apple being a business might decide to just pocket the $500 savings from buying Intel.

OEMs don't pay Intel anywhere near that price.

G4DPII

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
Intel CPUs are very expensive. I think they can lower the price a bit and still increase their profit margin a lot. And thanks to that, they will also sell more.

What you pay off the shelf is at least 60% more than what an OEM pay. Probably significantly less that that for the larger companies.

Prices won't go down. Apple will need to maintain the cash stock pile for when they undoubtably balls it up, like thay have done on the previous occasions when they try and get involved in thier own CPU's.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
The cost of the A13 is estimated to be around $64 . There is no way they are getting the newest Intel CPUs even close to that price. They can even put it in an iPhone SE2 for $399 and still make good money.

Is that the price to manufacture or the total cost with R&D and design amortised over the number of CPUs produced?

Reactions: Detnator

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Is that the price to manufacture or the total cost with R&D and design amortised over the number of CPUs produced?
Didn’t expect to run into another cost accountant here, LOL. Don’t forget about Corp OH allocations. Have to pay for Timmy and pals living up there on mahogany row somehow.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
The same, pure and simple. Apple's mantra is premium products and pricing, they recently doubled the price of ram on the 13" MBP, and they have a thunderbolt cable priced at 129. This is not a company that prices its products under what they perceive as premium or as I put it exorbitant
Yeah I gotta say that $129 2m TB3 cable’s pricing shocked me. It must entail more than a length of wire and two connectors though, right? Right?!? There better be some kind of silicon embedded in that wire.

Reactions: Populus and maflynn

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
They would have to target their bottom lines and cover the cost for R&D for new chips coming down the pipelines. I assume they will be manufacturing the chips in the US or out of country like China?

They will be made by TSMC like the current SoCs used in iDevices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.