Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yodaxl7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
No, the blame shouldn't be directed at asians in america, or Asian Americans. It should be directed at asians in asia who are buying the ipads up over there, or Asian Asians.

Asians consist of Chinese, North Korean, South Korean, Pakistan, Russians, Thias, etc. Vietnamese.

Maybe you mean, Chinese people from Hong Kong, China!!

yodaxl7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Walk around Chinatown or predominately Chinese centric neighborhoods.

You see dudes taking out wads of $20's rolled up and when I say wad, I mean a huge wad. I've seen this in a Mcdonalds, on the street corner, in a grocery store, etc.

Go to any other Asian centric neighborhood and you will rarely see that.

Why aren't they doing this with Android tablets?

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
The racial undertone here is really distasteful, can't we (scalpers excepted) get along in harmony?

4cd769f82d.jpg

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
Why Apple is not saying anything about that problem ? How about some official declaration Steve ??? Don't you think it's a serious enough problem ?

What problem? Sales are through the roof and satisfaction is through the roof.

There is no problem. Some are just mad. Quite a difference.

MrMac'n'Cheese

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2010
The racial undertone here is really distasteful, can't we (scalpers excepted) get along in harmony?

4cd769f82d.jpg
I've yet to meet a "black" or "yellow"person............Or "normal" for that matter what's normal nowadays ???

That poster is like from 1970.....

ani23

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Keep it simple. Don't buy an iPad till you can get one through the store at cost price.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
Keep it simple. Don't buy an iPad till you can get one through the store at cost price.

I am in Hong Kong and the iPad2 is not released here yet. I don't mind to pay more, but I do mind to feed scalpers. So I wait till I get one from a local official source, or buy one overseas in case I get there.

howlinggood

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2011
my ipad buying experience

We decided to buy our daughter an ipad for her birthday. We had no idea it was almost impossible to get one. After calling around for a few days we decided on an apple store that said they get a good amount of ipads delivered every day. Today is her birthday, it was imperative we get one. My son and I got up at 5:00 a.m. and drove 45 minutes to the apple store where they had said if we got there by 7:00, we'd be almost guaranteed to get one. We get there at 6:50 a.m. and were greeted by about 7 asian people who immediately came up to us and said we were 10th on line. Hmmm, I thought 6:50 was early enough but I guess not. Anyway, after awhile, it became apparent that these people were going to buy 2 ipads per person. That means they would walk away with at least 14 ipads which may have been the entire shipment. There were about 3 people behind them when we showed up. I complained immediately upon learning what was about to transpire. Apple people said there was nothing they could do. UGH!!!! After about 1.5 hours of waiting and hoping for the best, the security guards came over and started questioning the "asian" people waiting in line. Apparently, there was trouble with these people before. When the police were called, the lady who told me we were 10th in line disappeared. The 4 still left got as many as they could buy. Fortunately, we were still able to purchase one - whew! I don't mean to be profiling here but every "asian" person waiting in line either got chased away by police or bought 2 each. No one else walked away with 2 ipads each. i was shocked by what happened this morning. I had no idea what was going on. Because of this experience, I googled asians buying ipads and came across this forum. I just wanted to share my experience firsthand. It was an interesting eye opener. :eek:

freeman727

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
For the record I'm Chinese. I went to the Apple Store in Manhasset, NY early Monday morning for a Genius appointment. A bunch of fobby looking Asians were there buying iPad 2's. I don't blame them. There other options are working construction, hard manual labor or sweating in a Chinese restaurant.

krnboy503

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
I camped out twice this week and noticed majority were Hispanic-Americans in their early 20's in a group of 8-10 talking about reselling. It's not always Asian-Fobs... It's anyone desperate for money in this tough economy.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
What if an American citizen of Chinese descent decides to line up for an iPad 2 and receives abuse from someone who has read that article and decides it's their fault that there are no iPads (they are, after all, "Asian")? Is that acceptable?

I didn't receive any abuse, but then again I was trying to buy the Verizon iPad 2 :D

Gotta love Verizon, the network actually works around the places I frequent, and it's immune from those overseas resellers...

dacalo

macrumors member
May 10, 2009
Asians consist of Chinese, North Korean, South Korean, Pakistan, Russians, Thias, etc. Vietnamese.

Maybe you mean, Chinese people from Hong Kong, China!!

+1.

That's like me (a Korean-American) labeling caucasian Americans in the same group with the French. :D

Mattstkc

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2009
Chicago, IL
We decided to buy our daughter an ipad for her birthday. We had no idea it was almost impossible to get one. After calling around for a few days we decided on an apple store that said they get a good amount of ipads delivered every day. Today is her birthday, it was imperative we get one. My son and I got up at 5:00 a.m. and drove 45 minutes to the apple store where they had said if we got there by 7:00, we'd be almost guaranteed to get one. We get there at 6:50 a.m. and were greeted by about 7 asian people who immediately came up to us and said we were 10th on line. Hmmm, I thought 6:50 was early enough but I guess not. Anyway, after awhile, it became apparent that these people were going to buy 2 ipads per person. That means they would walk away with at least 14 ipads which may have been the entire shipment. There were about 3 people behind them when we showed up. I complained immediately upon learning what was about to transpire. Apple people said there was nothing they could do. UGH!!!! After about 1.5 hours of waiting and hoping for the best, the security guards came over and started questioning the "asian" people waiting in line. Apparently, there was trouble with these people before. When the police were called, the lady who told me we were 10th in line disappeared. The 4 still left got as many as they could buy. Fortunately, we were still able to purchase one - whew! I don't mean to be profiling here but every "asian" person waiting in line either got chased away by police or bought 2 each. No one else walked away with 2 ipads each. i was shocked by what happened this morning. I had no idea what was going on. Because of this experience, I googled asians buying ipads and came across this forum. I just wanted to share my experience firsthand. It was an interesting eye opener. :eek:

TLDR.gif

clyde2801

macrumors 601

Plausible about the police chasing them away, if the prospective purchasers were gang bangers or had gang affiliations. Cops do keep an eye (and a database) on those kind of things.

Say, with the international release, shouldn't this be a dead issue by now?

clyde2801

macrumors 601
+1.

That's like me (a Korean-American) labeling caucasian Americans in the same group with the French. :D

Unless the cheese-eating surrender monkeys are from Algeria or Morocco, that would be correct. Caucasian Americans and Caucasian frenchmen are, by definition, Caucasians.

Does race still have any meaning in the 21st century? One wonders. I have had friends who have gone to the countries their ancestors have emigrated from, and have been rebuffed in their claims of being 'African-American' or 'Irish-American'. Their feelings were hurt by the locals who thought of them simply as 'Americans'. I think the rest of the world views Americans as Americans rather than by racial or ethnic classifications: they think we're ALL a bunch of lazy, bloated, overpaid and self indulgent cry-babies.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Plausible about the police chasing them away, if the prospective purchasers were gang bangers or had gang affiliations. Cops do keep an eye (and a database) on those kind of things.

Say, with the international release, shouldn't this be a dead issue by now?

It's still cheaper to buy an iPad in the USA than any other country.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.