Article: Dane Cook is Killing Comedy

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Unspeaked, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

The writer had me going until he pulls out this gem:

Um, is this guy 13 years old? If the flag-bearers of his comedic history is Dave Chapelle and Louis CK, he doesn't really have that broad a view on stand up comedy history, right?

I mean, most of those names aren't even from as far back as the 90s!

Here's the link:

The popularity of Dane Cook is killing comedy

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Despite his lacking in historical comedy education, he's definitely right about Dane Cook being atrociously bad. I've never understood his popularity. He's a startlingly un-funny jackass. Like that frat boy from college who'd laugh at his own jokes before he fist pounded one of his broskis and did a keg stand.

Which is probably why frat boys love him. :rolleyes:

3. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

That doesn't mean he doesn't have a firm grasp of the history of stand up, it means he grew up watching comedians that were active when he was growing up. Isn't it kind of silly to take exception to an article because of what he was watching when he grew up?

And besides, he's right.

4. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I never said I didn't agree with him, I just found it amusing that his argument was, "I grew up watching the all-time greats like Louis CK and believe-you-me, Dane Cook is no Louis CK!"

Sort of like putting down Paramore for not being as good as Panic! At the Disco or lamenting the current batch of sitcoms for not living up to Will and Grace...

5. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

If you ever besmirch Will and Grace again...

6. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Did I say Will and Grace?

I meant King of Queens...

;)

7. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Ooo... I must dare to besmirch. I haven't been a huge sitcom watcher in years, but am I seriously the only one who gets the creepy feeling that in fifty years we'll all look back on Will and Grace as like the gay version of a blackface act?

I could be wrong. I mean, I have been known to overthink things, as much as I know that will shock people to hear.

Now News Radio, that was a sitcom. Only (non-British) sitcom I've ever bothered to buy on DVD.

8. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

Personally, I also think Dane Cook is a jackass.

George Lopez is my favorite comedian of all time.
    Yeah, I'm 16... and I have no idea why some of my friends like Dane Cook.

9. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

Honestly I find Dane Cook to be quite funny, yeah flame me while sipping on your Starbucks I really dont care. Honestly the article sounds like it was written by dare I say it an old timer.. someone growing up on SNL and all these classic comedians that defined comedy. Look to now and seeing Dane Cook it reminds me of all those older photographers that grew up with film, whined about the death of film as an art and being taken over by digital everything. I love Dane Cook (personality and material) as much as I love Dave Chappelle, Dave Attell and George Lopez.

I think the popularity of Dane Cook I feel lies in his personality and partly his material because he reminds me of me when I've had very little to no sleep and it seems like I could talk about anything that enters my brain with little to no consequence after that. Sure I can go into an elaborate detail of a "scenario" I'd like to see play out in real life that I'd find hilarious and honestly quite amazing to see. For example coming home after hours of wearing a winter hat my hair would look like what I coined up as "Hitler Hair", come to see that I think it'd be funny if somehow I got engine grease below my nose and if I saw a friend at Starbucks I'd raise my hand up in the "yo whats up" fashion, appalling I'm sure.

If you like the classic comedians such as the ones often from SNL then you wont like Dane Cook pure and simple he'll come off as the frat boy talking and pounding beers down. By the same token I find most of the classic SNL comedians just not that funny and it goes in the same league as dry British humor like Monty Python I'd be more entertained watching paint dry then watching it.. so each to their own

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Karen and Jack was really what the show was about. :p
    I think we might end up seeing it as more of a transition show. Some parts of it are full stereotype, but it didn't strive to create a sense of inferiority like a blackface act would have.

I think the show is really just a good example of how any relationship evolves.
    Finally! I thought I'd never find another person who likes that show. Truly it was the king of comedies in the 90s.

As for Dane Cook, I don't really care for him and I think the writer has a point. Dane Cook is an old fratboy, and ergo he attracts other fratboys.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

12. shecky Guest

shecky

13. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Dane Cook makes awesome sound effects.

14. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I have a couple of Cook's albums. As much as I would love to say that his humor is beneath me, the tracks crack me up whenever they pop up while listening to the iPod on random in my car.

Consider me a fan. And, no, I'm not a frat boy.

But killing comedy? No. I don't think so. Redefining? I'd buy that.

15. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Can someone suggest a Dane Cook skit they find particularly funny?

Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places...

16. shecky Guest

shecky

i find dane cook's performance to be funny, not really his jokes. its the delivery, etc... but after about 15 minutes i have had enough.

he is kind of akin to dennis wolfberg, who was an amazing comic due partially to his jokes but a lot because of his delivery.

17. bombboy macrumors regular

bombboy

I go to the Improv pretty often to go see stand-up in all forms. You must appreciate the art itself to really get into what they're trying to sell you. As it is, I find Dane Cook to be funny just as much as I laugh at old time SNL skits and laugh myself to death watching Monty Python and Mel Brooks flicks. I to this day do not understand why people consider Dane Cook the anti-christ of comedy. I would say he's probably more a gateway drug into the world of comedy and those that do not like his schtick are the purists who do not want to be associated with the "newbie" crowd that is the audience Dane Cook is attracting into comedy. Dave Chapelle, Adam Sandler, Chris Farley, and Chris Rock played this same role before Cook, just never to the same degree and success as Cook has somehow compiled.

18. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

:mad::p

EVERYONE was funny on News Radio. They all have their odd tendencies and habits.

Phil Hartman was of course the best though. :cool:

19. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

For pete's sake the show made Andy Dick funny. There aren't enough people on Earth to deliver the amount of praise earned by a writer that can do that.

20. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I can see why people don't like Dane Cook -- it's just his delivery. The way he repeats stuff over and over to accentuate things can be kind of obnoxious. Be that as it may, he makes me laugh, and I'm no frat boy either. My sister is really into him and she's bought me a couple of his CDs, and he is a pretty funny guy.

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Give Dane Cook some Ritilin and his whole act would be over. I guess you could say the same for Robin Williams tho, but at least he's funny.

22. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

You just don't like him because he's from Boston ;)

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

24. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I've never even heard of Dane Cook, but from what most people here are saying I probably don't want to either.
    Anyway, in my book no one comes close to Eddie Izzard in stand up comic funnyness. He's a well-educated British transvestite and he does his act in full makeup and high heeled shoes, and he's %$&@ing hilarious! After an hour or so with Eddie you'll be like, 'Dane who?'

25. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Computer solitaire FTW! :D

Seriously though the entire News Radio cast and writing team was talented. I don't think I've ever seen a show that was nearly as well put together.