Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A NY Times article suggests that the iPhone may be to blame for AT&T's network failures. Despite the fact that AT&T fell last on the list of Consumer Reports' latest annual cell phone satisfaction survey, the author claims that independent data suggests that AT&T may have "the superior network nationwide". Meanwhile, the iPhone, itself, may be contributing to the performance problems by causing interference that affect both its voice and data services.
Roger Entner, senior vice president for telecommunications research at Nielsen, said the iPhone's "air interface," the electronics in the phone that connect it to the cell towers, had shortcomings that "affect both voice and data." He said that in the eyes of the consumer, "the iPhone has the nimbus of infallibility, ergo, it's AT&T's fault." AT&T does not publicly defend itself because it will not criticize Apple under any circumstances, he said
AT&T has recently acknowledged that service in some major U.S. cities have been performing below standards and claims that AT&T is working on it. At no time has AT&T publicly blamed Apple for any issues.

John Gruber, however, appropriately questions the objectivity of the article as well as the "independent" sources of data, but also raises the most convincing argument against this probability:
If it’s the iPhone’s fault, not AT&T’s, why aren’t iPhone users around the world having the same problems as those here in the U.S.?

Article Link: Article Suggests iPhone is to Blame for AT&T's Network Failures

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
AT&T can't keep up with the saturation of data from iPhone users.

If exclusivity were with Verizon, the same issue would be occurring, and might even be worse.

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
The iphone is the beast of cell phones! I would be on the bus listening to a podcast. Next thing I'm on itunes buying tracks. Then I'm downloading apps. And the ease at which I do those things is staggering. No other phone even comes close to the iphone experience.

caonimadebi

macrumors regular
May 7, 2009
A possible answer to Gruber's question: maybe it's because AT&T has a much higher percentage of iPhone users? This explanation would be consistent with the observation that AT&T 3G service tend to be poor in New York and San Francisco, where everyone and their moms seem to have iPhones

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
A flaw that I see with this is the question of whether the data rating AT&T's network near (at?) the bottom in performance according to customer experience was so severely affected by iPhone users, which this article seems to suggest are the only ones really affected by bad network experience. I mean, even if every iPhone user said that the network satisfaction was the worst possible, what percentage of AT&T customers are actually iPhone users? If we were to suppose 10%, and, as the article suggests, the rest should find AT&T's network to be the best, then this would hardly pull AT&T all the way to the bottom of overall user satisfaction.

It seems clear that this issue isn't as clear cut as this article seems to be trying to make it out to be. While there may be some truth to the issue that they bring up, to blame all of AT&T's perceived network issues solely on the iPhone's "air interface" just doesn't ring true.

solipsism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
A possible answer to Gruber's question: maybe it's because AT&T has a much higher percentage of iPhone users? This explanation would be consistent with the observation that AT&T 3G service tend to be poor in New York and San Francisco, where everyone and their moms seem to have iPhones

That points the finger back at AT&T, not the iPhone it self. He isn’t arguing that iPhone user’s excessive network use is not a reason why AT&T’s network is having these profound issues, just that the problem isn’t with the iPhone itself.

iWork

macrumors member
May 7, 2009
The iPhone 3G was criticized by AT&T's Ralph de la Vega and Kristin S. Rinne earlier this year for its inability to effectively filter noise from overlapping cell sites. I believe this is what Roger Entner is referring to when he criticizes iPhone's "air interface" (baseband).

According to Infineon data sheets, iPhone 3G and 3GS contain chipsets capable of Rx Diversity, seemingly nullifying AT&T's complaint. It may however be that Apple has not activated the feature or that Apple has and AT&T is spreading misinformation.

The question that arises, however, is that if AT&T is indeed unimpressed by iPhone's baseband, why do they continue to promote and sell iPhone?

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I can believe it. I have a 2G phone (S.E. w300i), and have never had an issue in NYC. I get superb reception everywhere. It's definitely something to do with the 3Gness of the network, although if it's iPhone related, or just that the 3G band sucks, I could not say.

RazHyena

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
USA
Umm......no.

AT&T is responsible for AT&T's network failures.

Hey Apple....it's time to move on to a provider that's competent........

Edit: make that MULTIPLE providers.

solideliquid

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
I can see this argument being valid in certain situations. However why is it that my iphone can only get 1-2 bars of edge when I live 2 miles from a tower? I drive down the street and I get full 3G but not at my front door.

solipsism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
I mean, even if every iPhone user said that the network satisfaction was the worst possible, what percentage of AT&T customers are actually iPhone users? If we were to suppose 10%, and, as the article suggests, the rest should find AT&T's network to be the best, then this would hardly pull AT&T all the way to the bottom of overall user satisfaction.

Aren’t there some 30-35M iPhones out there as of the end of Apple’s 2009 fiscal year? And a little over half are from the US that makes for at least 15M? If so, when compared to AT&T’s 82.5M subs as of November 2009 that is 18% of AT&T’s market. I think I’m lowballing the numbers so they could be much higher.

Papajohn56

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2005
lol right, AT&T has the best network - with the most dropped calls. Verizon is easily best in the US

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Old Ma Bell mindset!

This is right out of the Ma Bell PR playbook. When you network is screwed up, blame the equipment! Many a Western Electric manager was a whipping boy when network upgrades didn't come on schedule when they rolled out units into the install trucks. Bah!

aksmax

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2002
Outrageous!!!

This is an utterly ridiculous premise for an argument. "Gee, service would be great if it wasn't for all these pesky customers" Give me a break!

Livestfastest

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2006
RE: "If it’s the iPhone’s fault, not AT&T’s, why aren’t iPhone users around the world having the same problems as those here in the U.S.?"

It's easy to kick AT&T.
But, be careful what you wish for Verizon lovers.

The fact that the U.S. is way behind Europe & Japan in cell phone coverage and technology does not necessarily put all the blame on AT&T nor do I believe these AT&T vs. Verizon map battles one bit.

The U.S. Government's FCC is largely responsible for poor cell coverage more than anything else because they botched the DTV switch and delayed it so long that valuable frequencies were not available until recently, and not even for emergency services either!

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Do you even read the orginal post/aticle before replying?

The iphone is the beast of cell phones! I would be on the bus listening to a podcast. Next thing I'm on itunes buying tracks. Then I'm downloading apps. And the ease at which I do those things is staggering. No other phone even comes close to the iphone experience.

The point is that your beast has serious technical flaws which causes problems for entire network.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
I can see this argument being valid in certain situations. However why is it that my iphone can only get 1-2 bars of edge when I live 2 miles from a tower? I drive down the street and I get full 3G but not at my front door.

Because the tower is busy servicing dealing with interference from all other iPhones in the area?

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
AT&T is responsible for AT&T's network failures.

Hey Apple....it's time to move on to a provider that's competent........

Edit: make that MULTIPLE providers.

No, other providers would not accept such crap. AT&T only puts up with it because of exclusivity agreement but this might become a self-defiting strategy if AT&T's reputation gets too damaged. Perhaps hey are starting to worry hence the leaks like this one.

sysiphus

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
That points the finger back at AT&T, not the iPhone it self. He isn’t arguing that iPhone user’s excessive network use is not a reason why AT&T’s network is having these profound issues, just that the problem isn’t with the iPhone itself.

Not necessarily. If, perhaps, the iPhone causes problems beyond simply a high volume of data usage (the too many users for the crappy network argument)...could it be that the interference/problems caused by the device are simply magnified on networks with high saturation of iPhones--eg ATT? Percentage-wise or straight user numbers, either way, there are LOTS more iPhones running in the US than anywhere else.

Overall, I'm inclined to think that the issue is primarily ATT's network--but given Apple's inability to build a phone with decent reception/call quality, I wouldn't be entirely stunned if there are problems with the device that impact the network, either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.