Article: Why Nokia 5800 is better than iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stella, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

2. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

5800 there aren't more letters on it.
    Also nokia had a ton of products why is very compreensible that they not introduce marketing product names, sufixes or prefixes like extreme pro I easy et al..

3. zachplaysguitar macrumors 6502

zachplaysguitar

That article seems to be comparing it to the 1st gen pre 2.0.

"no support for third party headphones, ringtones, applications, many software bugs and other technical glitches."

4. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Call me stupid, but I thought the iPhone always had support of ring tones. If you can't find one you like, you can create your own.

Edit: I think this has only been possible since 2.0.

5. Stella thread starter macrumors 604

Stella

Since your offering, please do!

That article isn't 100% accurate by any means... could and should be better.

6. powderblue17 macrumors regular

I just watched a video of this thing in action on YouTube and it really looked pretty bad. I guess in a spec sheet contest the nokia would win but some people only look at a spec sheet and don't appreciate user interface design, ease of use, and the fluidity of the interface which is what the iPhone excels at and can't be put on a spec sheet. Who cares if a phone has every feature imaginable if the software isn't very good?

I love how when he flicks a photo it doesn't move at all and then a second after he lifts his finger it slides off.

7. nfl46 macrumors 603

Wow @ them giving 20 reasons, lol. :eek: Someone has a lot of time on their hands. I'm not sure who's worse: The writer or Sprint for comparing the Instinct to the iPhone.

8. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I was just getting ready to compare my LG Chocolate to the iPhone 3G. I think the LG Chocolate will win because it has physical keys.

9. kerph32 macrumors member

So you also don't like car companies that use numbered naming conventions, I take it?

10. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Yes, phone with numbers as name = bad phone. :p

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

And that's putting it nicely. If this were homework, they'd get an "F" for accuracy.

I've counted 5 outright lies in just one reading.

With obvious errors like that about the iPhone, I have to assume there are other lies about the Nokia. I have no idea since I'm not familiar with the phone, but if they're gonna make up lies about the iPhone to make it look bad, obviously they're going to make up stuff about the Nokia to make it look good.

12. megadon macrumors 6502

Apple’s (AAPL) share of the worldwide smartphone market leaped 327.5% in Gartner’s survey, catapulting past Microsoft’s (MSFT) Windows Mobile to grab the No. 3 position and putting it within striking distance of Research in Motion’s (RIMM) BlackBerry for the No. 2 spot.

Smartphones running on Nokia’s (NOK) Symbian operating system are still No. 1, with nearly 50% market share, but they lost ground as Symbian sales shrank for the first time, down 12% for the quarter.

http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/12/05/iphone-market-share-grew-3275/

something tells me nokia is on its way down..

I had an n95 before the iphone, and they're always laggy... it tries to do too many things that it can't do them well enough..

13. Aurial macrumors 6502

looks fair enough to me to be honest. If it had a 5+ MP camera I'd have dropped my iPhone in a heartbeat. I'm still tempted though.

14. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

One of my all time favorite "reasons:"
    Right, so the iPhone, which you can get with 16 GIG standard built in, is not expandable, to, well, 16 GB, is a reason the Nokia is better?

Are you serious?

So I have to buy another piece of hardware to get the same memory my phone has built in.

And that is a argument for it being better?

Well, that sure beats these out right lies:

15. X-Ravin macrumors regular

I can't stand cars with numbers! I'll take my good ol' Grand Prix over a BMW 3 something something with some random letter tacked on the end. Anywho back on topic, here's my opinions on their list.

1. Umm yeah if you have dwarf hands.
    2. Since the iPhone's weight hasn't ever bothered me, I don't why I would care that it is lighter
    3. Lol, smaller screen with higher res? I hope it comes packaged with a magnifying glass.
    4. External memory would be a nice feature, but far from an iphone killing feature.
    5. Actually you can use a stylus, handwriting recog. would be cool, but mine is so terrible that it wouldn't matter.
    6. Cut and Paste, yes please! The rest of that list is the old iPhone, way to go, let's attack the phonograph vs MP3 player next. +1 copy and paste
    7. The 16 year old girls will be so happy.
    8. This is a good one, better battery and removable sounds like a good upgrade to me. +1 Nokia.
    9. This one is good too, I don't use the camera much, and I don't do videophone so it wouldn't apply to me. But for someone who uses it, +1
    10. See 9
    11. Umm, my iPhone records video.
    12. I can only imagine the (lack) of selection on that service. But free downloads for a year is cool if the selection is decent. +1 maybe
    13. My iPhone can voice dial too.
    14. Oh and again, my iphone can voice record.
    15. Flash lite? read 'can play youtube' lol
    16. Seriously????? You have a 8-16gb mp3 player and streaming radio, I mean seriously????
    17. A2DP would be nice, but I don't really like the currently available bluetooth headphones. +1
    18. The iphone can MMS (not natively of course), and I can clear whole conversations with one touch. +1 for MMS if you use it a ton
    19. Good if you don't want a contract or AT&T, +1 if you apply.
    20. I confused why this matters?

Now I should do something productive.

16. Aurial macrumors 6502

I didn't quote that?

Anyhoo...

You're right, voice dialing and recording are available via app store apps, but the voice dialing at least is not as elegently done as it is on S60. Hold one button and speak. On the iPhone It's more like scroll to page where voice dial app is (if not on first page, or you're not on the first page), press icon, wait for it to load, press 'listen' button, speak.

I tried one voice dial app and got rid of it because the voice recognition was rubbish. Nokia's voice recognition is very good by comparison.

I imagine the voice recording is probably on a par with both phones, I've never tried it on the iPhone.

As for the memory, I guess there's pro's and con's for each. It's nice having all that memory built in, but once its filled what do you do? The 5800 will support 32GB Micro SD when it comes out, then 64, etc. So long as they don't change the SDHC format. Nokia have always been very good with their software updates and in the past have always updated support to the latest memory card standards. Having a Memory card normally (and certainly in the case of nokia phones) allows you to mount the phone as a memory card reader on your computer which is useful for transporting files around and copying your videos/pics on and off.

17. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

List of errors I've found (and posted there, thought it's awaiting moderation).

-No support for 3rd party headphones
    -No Ringtones
    -No applications
    -Only plays music bought on iTunes
    -No voice dialing available
    -No voice recording available
    -No SMS messages to multiple recipients

(I’m counting free applications, btw. If you can get a free app that does it, I consider the iPhone as being capable of doing it.)

All of these are false, yet are listed as fact in the article. I'm sure there are also errors about the Nokia, but not knowing the phone, I can't spot them.

18. megadon macrumors 6502

some of the stuff you listed is only available if you unlock your phone right?

19. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

For his list, yes, you are correct.

My list (above his) was limited to phones that have NOT been unlocked. I counted free applications as add-ons, but that is all.

20. megadon macrumors 6502

ya..its a no brainer..

is your warranty void if you unlock your phone?

21. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

well he was talking about jailbreak, not unlock...

and yes technically the warranty is voided when u jailbreak... BUT if u ever have to take it in or switch it out u can always restore it back to factory settings and theyll never know. ive had a lot of friends do this and it works fine.

22. megadon macrumors 6502

hmm...I didn't know that..

so how come every iphone user doesn't do this?

23. jeffdc5 macrumors member

jeffdc5

I don't understand why people need to defend the iphone if you like it enjoy it, if you want the nokia 5800 wait for it that's it these threads are useless

24. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

If someone likes the Nokia more, that's fine.

But if someone writes an article full of lies, I feel the need to correct that. What's wrong with writing a comparison article that lists actual facts? Why was that impossible for them to do?