As iOS 12 Launch Approaches, iOS 11 Adoption Hits 85 Percent

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 4, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's iOS 11 operating system is now installed on 85 percent of devices as of September 3, according to updated statistics Apple shared today on its App Store support page for developers.

Apple hasn't updated its adoption statistics since May 31, when iOS 11 was installed on 81 percent of devices, marking a four percent adoption increase over the course of the last several months.

[​IMG]

iOS 11 adoption has likely slowed as Apple's focus has shifted to iOS 12, which is set to be released in the near future. Apple's last iOS 11 update was iOS 11.4.1, released in July with bug fixes and support for USB Restricted Mode, not quite features that entice people to upgrade.

With iOS 11 installed on 85 percent of iOS devices, 10 percent continue to use iOS 10 and five percent continue to use an earlier version of iOS, such as iOS 8 or iOS 9.

Over its lifespan, iOS 11 adoption has been slower than iOS 10 adoption, perhaps due to the multiple high-profile bugs affecting iOS 11. The HomeKit bug, the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities, and the iPhone slowdown controversy that saw Apple throttling the performance of older iPhones all likely impacted iOS 11 adoption.

The issues with iOS 11 led Apple to delay some planned iOS 12 features to focus on improving iOS performance and stability. One major focus was bolstering performance on older devices, and iOS 12 is designed outperform iOS 11, introducing faster app launch times, faster load times, and an overall quicker feel to the operating system.

Given the under-the-hood improvements that iOS 12 brings, it's likely we will see faster adoption of the new update than we did with iOS 11. We're expecting Apple to release a golden master version of iOS 12 on September 12, its iPhone event day, which will mark the final version of iOS 12 that will be released to the public.

After that, Apple is likely to debut iOS 12 on Wednesday, September 19, two days ahead of when iPhones are expected to be released on Friday, September 21.

Article Link: As iOS 12 Launch Approaches, iOS 11 Adoption Hits 85 Percent

2. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

I'm sure the dropping of 32-bit app support affected iOS 11 adoption as well. And I say that as one of the holdouts still on iOS 10...

3. WalterTizzano macrumors 6502

WalterTizzano

Give the lack of new features (except some very minor ones), iOS 12 is likely to be another very slowly adopted release. People don't update unless there are visible changes, most people don't understand the importance of under the hood improvements.

4. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

I tried 11, but it ran like a three legged dog, downgraded back to 10, and jumped straight from 10 to 12beta. 12 is nice. Multitasking (gestures & app switcher) is a trainwreck, but as long as you only use one app at a time, it’s a decent enough install.

5. Relentless Power, Sep 4, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You’re right. Especially with security updates for protection against Spectre and Meltdown are crucial for consumer protection. I Always update when I can and I appreciate the stability/protection iOS offers for efficiency and peformance.

6. Cosmosent macrumors 6502a

Does anybody know of any Camera-related reason to upgrade to iOS 12 ???

Faster launches isn't sufficient ... I mean a REAL reason, a Key Enhancement AND/OR Refinement.

7. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

Probably it’s the opposite. People barely understand incremental new features, but sure as hell they will update if word spreads of faster performance/better battery, which is probably the case with iOS12.

8. GIZBUG macrumors 68000

GIZBUG

9. macduke, Sep 4, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2018

macduke macrumors G4

macduke

This is the least excited I have been about an iOS release in years. I'm more excited for watchOS 5 because of things like Walkie Talkie and HTML email, lol. I get that performance improvements are good and help in the long run, but having the latest device it's not as noticeable for me personally. At least when my kids are old enough get iOS devices I'll be able to use software descended from iOS 12 to monitor and control their usage so they don't become a zombie.

10. FightTheFuture macrumors 65816

FightTheFuture

I don't know - I think most people update when a dialogue box tells them an update is available.

11. now i see it macrumors 68040

To put this number into perspective...

Currently there are about 700 million iPhones currently in use. 5% of them are using iOS 9 or lower.

That's 35,000,000 iDevices still running iOS 9 (or earlier).

12. HiVolt macrumors 6502a

HiVolt

My bet is that a good majority of that are older iPads that were hand-me-downs to kids, toddlers, because they don't need to be up to date.

iPhone wise, iPhone 5/5c support iOS10 as max, and I haven't seen an iPhone 4/4s size device (3.5" screen) being used by anyone in a couple years.

13. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I'm sure that there is a percentage of people that didn't want to upgrade when the IOS device upgraded them.

I''m on IOS 10 and do not want IOS 11. I'm also very careful when Apple tries to upgrade me but I'm sure I'll make a mistake in the future and my device will upgrade.

I just wish that Apple would put a setting in IOS preferences that would stop all update request.

14. BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502a

BaltimoreMediaBlog

The main reason that IOS 11 adoption was slower was none of the reasons suggested.

It was Apple taking away 32 bit apps, and half of my free games. And because it's still slower than IOS 10 on an iPhone 5s.

15. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

That is one of the reasons why I didn't upgrade to IOS 11.

16. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

I think it's going to depend on whether or not Apple heavily advertises the fact that it's faster on older devices. I'm guessing it's going to be a key selling point of the update when it's released.

17. Justanotherfanboy Suspended

Justanotherfanboy

How come?

18. bbednarz macrumors 65816

bbednarz

Faster launching apps isn't a key enhancement or refinement? When people complain that their phones are running slow it is mostly because the apps launch slower. Fix that issue and most people are going to be really happy.

19. avanpelt macrumors 68030

Most tangible camera enhancements on iOS happen with hardware upgrades, not software upgrades. That’s not always the case, of course; but it seems to be the case more often than not.

20. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

After iOS 9 crippled my iPad Mini 2, I have been scared to update my iOS devices. I am currently on iOS 10 on my two main iOS devices, and I might just stay there.

I am currently using an iPhone SE, which some ppl say their SE runs great with iOS 11, while others warn me not to upgrade.

Not sure what to do, if Apple allowed restoring to an older iOS, than I would upgrade without fear, but as long as I am stuck with what version is on my devices, or upgrade to a potentially worse experience, I'm going to stay with what mostly works.

I really, really hope that the Mac OS never gets to be like the iOS where you can downgrade the OS if you need/want. If it does, I will probably just switch to Windows.

21. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

I think the 5% have to be the devices that no longer allow newer updates. We have an iPad 2 which is stuck on 9 I believe.

And you hardcore folk who hold out!

22. Duncan-UK macrumors regular

It’s almost as if whoever wrote the article doesn’t know that many iOS devices out there simply can’t be upgraded to iOS 11.

23. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Zero issues with iOS 11. I’ll upgrade to 12 when the update hits. I’ve heard good things and I’m looking forward to speed improvements and grouped notifications. I expect a similar or even more accelerated adoption rate for iOS 12, especially for older devices. Apple has always done a nice job in my eyes from release to release, improving on the previous and bringing new features to the masses. This is an area where Android needs major improvement. I’m sure it’s just one of the reason Google is looking to create another OS mimicking Apple’s locked down approach. It’s better for consumers in the end.

24. BootsWalking macrumors 65816

I skipped all the iOS 11 nonsense for my iPhone 7 and still run 10.3.3 but will be upgrading to 12 for the reported speed benefits and Google Maps support in CarPlay.

25. EdT macrumors 68000

EdT

You are undoubtedly correct. I have several friends who aren’t upgrading because of Apple dropping 32 but support. It didn’t affect me because any app that I had were either 64 bit or was an app I didn’t use and had just never deleted. My wife upgraded from an iPhone 5 last year so it didn’t affect her because a lot of her apps were lost because of the age of her phone and the OS not working on something that old.