Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I’m not using it as as investment and I was ready to buy two. However, given the limitations and lack of features at launch this thing is not worth the money. I’ll say it again SIRI sucks and is an embarrassment on this device. I wanted a device to tie my HomeKit home together and HomePod as it currently stands is not that device. If I want good sounding music I’ll turn on my Def Tech speakers and subs the $350 are not what bothers me it’s the functionality or lacktherof that lead to the decision to return it.

Honestly, after 20+ years in technology and more of Apple use I’m am seriously considering moving away completely.

Not sure why people with a great sound system would buy the HomePod in the first place. Doesn’t exactly fit a need.

HomePod works great with my HomeKit and Is a big reason for me using it daily.

Not sure what you were expecting or expect from a smart speaker from Apple. Everybody knows google and Alexa are better. Didn’t you know that coming into this? Siri does on this speaker what it’s marketed to do and that’s

Play music
Tell you who’s written and sings it
When it was out
Reminders
Podcasts
Lights
Timer

Currently that’s the basics and while it will do more in time right now that’s all it will do.

Reactions: Breezygirl

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I’m not using it as as investment and I was ready to buy two.
But you said Return on Invesment, so what did you mean by that comment?

I’ll say it again SIRI sucks and is an embarrassment on this device.
I will say that Siri has limitations that Alexa does not have. Yet, I'd not go as far as to say it sucks, because it works for me. What specifically is it failing for you? It has its idioscyrancies, but then so does Alexa (I have an echo and a dot).

I wanted a device to tie my HomeKit home together and HomePod as it currently stands is not that device
I don't know much about HomeKit stuff, as I'm not into that yet, but I've seen reviews that shown that it can control lighting and whatnot. Apple though is marketing the speaker for its fidelity not has a home automation hub.

the $350 are not what bothers me it’s the functionality or lacktherof that lead to the decision to return it.
Did you get caught up in the hype with the announcement? The functionality (and lacktheof) has been for the most part well documented since the get go.

Honestly, after 20+ years in technology and more of Apple use I’m am seriously considering moving away completely.
Why? I mean so the HomePod is not for you, I get that. Not every product is going to please every consumer. I mean, it sounds like, I hate this HomePod so I'm never going to buy another iPhone iPad, or Mac. Why do that, when you've come to the conclusion when you choose to return a single product.

At the end of the day, its your money, and your decision, I don't knock anyone for returning something that is ill fitting, its just that how you posted your justification leaves many questions, at least for me. It sounds like you got caught up in the excitement and hype of the preorder process, ordered one and then had buyers remorse because you may not have had a specific reason to buy one.
[doublepost=1519471951][/doublepost]
Not sure why people with a great sound system would buy the HomePod in the first place. Doesn’t exactly fit a need.
Agreed, this is not a product that someone who has (or wants) an audiophile stereo system setup. No matter how you slice it, a single speaker is not going to replace multiple speakers and components.

I just want to listen to music while I'm in my office working and it sounds better then my computer speakers. Controlling it by voice is definitely a great addition but that's just me.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Not I!

I’m really enjoying it.

I’m spent tons of money on audio equipment over the years and the HP is no different plus I feel it will continually get better.

That said I could understand someone’s reasoning for wanting to return it. Plus it’s not like you can’t just repurchase it if a must have feature for you comes to it.

Reactions: AppleRobert

Karnicopia

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2015
I won't be returning mine and I ended up picking up a second. The main reason for the second was to just balance out the sound in the room and I definitely want to do stereo when it is available (I am using the Airfoil method right now which is working great not ideal but a good stop gap for now).

I guess I am someone that already has a decent midrange audio system with 3 way towers and a large sub and 11.1 for HT (energy RC speakers HSU ULS 15 sub Denon 4311). Sounds great if you are in the sweet spot but what I like about these home pods is there really is no sweet spot or if there is it's so large that it's irrelevant, anywhere you go in the room you get great sound and the evenness of the sound in the room is really incredible. I've said this elsewhere but a high end pair of bookshelves would probably beat them in the sweet spot but outside of that the homepod is just a completely different speaker and sounds good everywhere in the room. The HT setup sound great but it's kind of a pain to fire it up and get to the content you need. If I wanted to sit and listen for a while yep the stereo setup is great but but it's also nice to get even quality sound in a room easily and be able to enjoy it wherever I go in that room so they both do different things for me.

The other thing I like about it is with 7 horn loaded tweeters it's just a really efficient speaker that can put out a lot of sound. Those things can just put out a ton of output even for 1 of them so it's kind of remarkable just how much sound you can get out of these things. The woofer is really dependent on placement though, it's more flexible with placement in the high end because of the tweeter design but the bass response is heavily dependent on placement. One thing I wonder is this speaker is going to be more difficult to place than your typical bookshelf design because those are typically sealed and leak less sound where this is designed specifically to radiate in every direction bass is going to radiate in every direction anyway but these would probably be more similar to placing a ported speaker that shoots air out of the rear which you want to give some good room to breathe. So I do kind of wonder if that is why a lot of people think these sound boomy or muddy is if you place them in the same spot as a pair of sealed bookshelves they probably wouldn't work as well. So before returning these things definitely play with placement a bit, it's kind of annoying I guess but you really have to do it with any speaker. If it sounds like it's missing treble you may have to get it closer to a wall or surfaces it can use to reflect and maybe play with height and try and get it closer to ear level. If it sounds muddy or boomy you may have to move it away from the wall or corner a bit.

mangopango

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2018
I bought a HomePod on the Friday it was released and a second on Monday. Obviously I am a fan. I do not have a decent stereo system in my house and have no interest in the Amazon or Google Home products as I don't want to be monetized in exchange for cheap hardware. I am deep in the Apple ecosystem with an Apple Music subscription. I am exactly the type of consumer they designed the HomePod for.

I don't quite get all of the criticism about Siri and the HomePod in general. I understand some of it, but having used HomePod for a few weeks, I believe some expectations may have been set unreasonably high and naturally now some are disappointed.

My two HomePods do everything I want them to do. They play music on demand from Apple Music --and they create a very pleasant listening experience. I agree some songs come across as too bassy and I do hope they will allow for user preferences at some point, but it doesn't bother me for all genres.

I can change the music genre or volume with a simple voice command. I think that is just wonderful. The HomePods are mostly great at the music related commands - only a few misses, they turn my Hue lights on/off, dim them and initiate preset scenes, they read a news summary on demand, they play podcasts on demand (when you use the right name ;-)), they are stellar at adding-subtracting-multipling-dividing on command, they give me instant conversions while I am cooking, they set timers and alarms and add to my reminder lists that I use extensively. I love being able to dump thoughts into my lists before I forget them. At my age that happens more often. I have no interest in calling an Uber, ordering a pizza nor do I have an immediate need to know the length of the average Ferret.

I was curious as to how much Apple actually promised with the HomePod and rewatched the announcement at the 2017 keynote. From my point of view, the HomePod delivers on every major promise made. Tim Cook explicitly said in his introduction that the HomePod was designed to reinvent music in the home. He did not say it would take the place of hi-fi equipment, nor compete with Amazon or Google Home. Reinvent doesn't imply better.

Then Phil summarized in the announcement:

HomePod will
1) Rock the house (check)
2) Will be compact enough to put anywhere (check)
3) Will have spatial awareness (check)
4) will serve as a musicologist (mostly check, a work in progress)
5) will be designed to work with Apple Music (check)
6) Will have music oriented commands and interactions (check) this was emphasized....
7) will be able to hear you when you speak across the room (check)
8) will serve as a home assistant (check - for me)
9) will allow specified reminders and timers and HomeKit (check and check)
10) He also emphasized privacy and Encrypted communication (I take their word for it and it is important to me)
11) ... and that Apple was starting with the functions it thought were most important first implying more would follow.

Are there issues? Yes, absolutely! Do I wish there was voice recognition so it could read my calendar and make phone calls? Yes! But I live alone, so it isn't frankly important to me. I haven't experienced any issues with the Apple TV and HomePods fighting over their status. Siri does have a very specific way it wants to hear some commands. Other commands, it will take several versions.

This can be incredibly frustrating and don't think I haven't sworn at Siri and called her stupid more than once. However, I am delighted with my HomePods. It is a revelation to interact with a music device in my home (and sometime personal assistant) with my voice only. No searching for my phone, a remote or needing to open up my MacBook Pro. My home is filled with music just about every hour of the day that I can experience while going about my daily life at home, and after all isn't that what HomePods are supposed to be about? My two cents.

DB4AW

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2016
As the 14 day window closes who’s returning their HomePod this week?

I love my HomePod. And I know Apple is gonna improve it with various software updates. However, I probably should have held off on buying the second one until Apple releases the stereo pair feature. Maybe I’ll return the second one.
[doublepost=1519498195][/doublepost]
I bought a HomePod on the Friday it was released and a second on Monday. Obviously I am a fan. I do not have a decent stereo system in my house and have no interest in the Amazon or Google Home products as I don't want to be monetized in exchange for cheap hardware. I am deep in the Apple ecosystem with an Apple Music subscription. I am exactly the type of consumer they designed the HomePod for.

I don't quite get all of the criticism about Siri and the HomePod in general. I understand some of it, but having used HomePod for a few weeks, I believe some expectations may have been set unreasonably high and naturally now some are disappointed.

My two HomePods do everything I want them to do. They play music on demand from Apple Music --and they create a very pleasant listening experience. I agree some songs come across as too bassy and I do hope they will allow for user preferences at some point, but it doesn't bother me for all genres.

I can change the music genre or volume with a simple voice command. I think that is just wonderful. The HomePods are mostly great at the music related commands - only a few misses, they turn my Hue lights on/off, dim them and initiate preset scenes, they read a news summary on demand, they play podcasts on demand (when you use the right name ;-)), they are stellar at adding-subtracting-multipling-dividing on command, they give me instant conversions while I am cooking, they set timers and alarms and add to my reminder lists that I use extensively. I love being able to dump thoughts into my lists before I forget them. At my age that happens more often. I have no interest in calling an Uber, ordering a pizza nor do I have an immediate need to know the length of the average Ferret.

I was curious as to how much Apple actually promised with the HomePod and rewatched the announcement at the 2017 keynote. From my point of view, the HomePod delivers on every major promise made. Tim Cook explicitly said in his introduction that the HomePod was designed to reinvent music in the home. He did not say it would take the place of hi-fi equipment, nor compete with Amazon or Google Home. Reinvent doesn't imply better.

Then Phil summarized in the announcement:

HomePod will
1) Rock the house (check)
2) Will be compact enough to put anywhere (check)
3) Will have spatial awareness (check)
4) will serve as a musicologist (mostly check, a work in progress)
5) will be designed to work with Apple Music (check)
6) Will have music oriented commands and interactions (check) this was emphasized....
7) will be able to hear you when you speak across the room (check)
8) will serve as a home assistant (check - for me)
9) will allow specified reminders and timers and HomeKit (check and check)
10) He also emphasized privacy and Encrypted communication (I take their word for it and it is important to me)
11) ... and that Apple was starting with the functions it thought were most important first implying more would follow.

Are there issues? Yes, absolutely! Do I wish there was voice recognition so it could read my calendar and make phone calls? Yes! But I live alone, so it isn't frankly important to me. I haven't experienced any issues with the Apple TV and HomePods fighting over their status. Siri does have a very specific way it wants to hear some commands. Other commands, it will take several versions.

This can be incredibly frustrating and don't think I haven't sworn at Siri and called her stupid more than once. However, I am delighted with my HomePods. It is a revelation to interact with a music device in my home (and sometime personal assistant) with my voice only. No searching for my phone, a remote or needing to open up my MacBook Pro. My home is filled with music just about every hour of the day that I can experience while going about my daily life at home, and after all isn't that what HomePods are supposed to be about? My two cents.

You forgot to mention that Phil also promised stereo and multi room capability. Since we’re still waiting on that, they lose 2 checks.

mangopango

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2018
I love my HomePod. And I know Apple is gonna improve it with various software updates. However, I probably should have held off on buying the second one until Apple releases the stereo pair feature. Maybe I’ll return the second one.
[doublepost=1519498195][/doublepost]

You forgot to mention that Phil also promised stereo and multi room capability. Since we’re still waiting on that, they lose 2 checks.

Good point! I did forget that part because I didn't write it down in my notes when I rewatched the keynote. It is disappointing that they not only released the HomePod months late, but that it does not include stereo or multi-room play. That criticism is valid and I can understand why people would hold off on buying a HomePod until they fulfill that promise.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Had a complete change of heart from my other posts in this thread, decided to keep both HomePods I bought. I’m with EE (carrier) already and discovered I could get 6 months free Apple Music. Promptly activated and suddenly the HomePods become an infinitely more attractive proposition.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
...discovered I could get 6 months free Apple Music. Promptly activated and suddenly the HomePods become an infinitely more attractive proposition.

image.jpg

Reactions: ljusmc and yegon

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Had a complete change of heart from my other posts in this thread, decided to keep both HomePods I bought. I’m with EE (carrier) already and discovered I could get 6 months free Apple Music. Promptly activated and suddenly the HomePods become an infinitely more attractive proposition.
EE doing it pay monthly yet or just outright?

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
The Apple Music thing

They'd be much more likely to get me onboard with AM if there was some version of "Apple Family Everything" that had Music + 2TB storage tier (which I do subscribe to now) bundled.

I'm just never going to be the standalone pay for streaming music customer (I know plenty like me) at the current prices.
People can call me cheap, whatever - I just don't use streaming even close to enough for me to justify it... I just don't want to pay any extra amount for something I barely use or use super sporadically, etc..

But...the one exception is if its bundled into something I do pay for and highly value.
That's the way to get that extra little bit out of me and lock me in a bit more to the overall package.

Jesla

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2013
Tennessee USA
Are they as good as my NHT's and single ended tube amps for music?.... Well of course not.

Do they sound good?.... Yes
Could they sound better?... Yes
Will the sound improve?... Yes, with coming update
Can I unplug my tube system and take it with me?.... No

I bought one and in less than 24hrs I bought another..... won't be the last either.

Reactions: Mhotep

Shanesan

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2006
I returned mine on Friday, but I've found myself calling out "Hey Siri" when I walked into my living room and going "oh yeah" before flicking up my Watch.

Reactions: Arran

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
I returned mine on Friday, but I've found myself calling out "Hey Siri" when I walked into my living room and going "oh yeah" before flicking up my Watch.
Same here, i sent mine back as well, now i have an Alexa and keep saying "Hey Siri".

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland

HomePod works great with my HomeKit and Is a big reason for me using it daily.

Not sure what you were expecting or expect from a smart speaker from Apple. Everybody knows google and Alexa are better. Didn’t you know that coming into this? Siri does on this speaker what it’s marketed to do and that’s

Play music
Tell you who’s written and sings it
When it was out
Reminders
Podcasts
Lights
Timer

Currently that’s the basics and while it will do more in time right now that’s all it will do.

Because for some of us, it's also the WAF coming into effect. My wife has a ban on me filling up the lounge with speakers and Hi-Fi gear, that has to be relegated to my office/games room/music room/give me peace room :D
Though I do agree, I wouldn't buy one to sit in the same room as decent Hi-Fi gear.

The HomePod is a nice little compromise, it's a small unassuming little canister that sits on a table and manages to put out decent enough sound, while not being offensive to the other half.
It's either that or a new wife, and HomePod is a damn sight cheaper :p

Reactions: Arran and Coffee50

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Because for some of us, it's also the WAF coming into effect. My wife has a ban on me filling up the lounge with speakers and Hi-Fi gear, that has to be relegated to my office/games room/music room/give me peace room :D
Though I do agree, I wouldn't buy one to sit in the same room as decent Hi-Fi gear.

The HomePod is a nice little compromise, it's a small unassuming little canister that sits on a table and manages to put out decent enough sound, while not being offensive to the other half.
It's either that or a new wife, and HomePod is a damn sight cheaper :p

Decent sound is all unfortunately. I tried the BoseSoundtrue 20, there is no comparison. The Bose beats the HP handily. Sorry Apple.

Reactions: turbineseaplane
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.