Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

224041-criphone.jpg

Earlier today, a Consumer Reports post made headlines after they concluded that they simply could not recommend the iPhone 4 due to the widely reported signal issues related to touching the lower-left corner of the device. This single issue alone has prevented them from fully recommending the iPhone 4. However, their formal testing otherwise revealed that the iPhone 4 ranked the highest amongst all smartphones in their testing.

AllThingsD (via LoopInsight) summarizes the report (subscription required).
The [iPhone 4] scored 76 out of 100 points–two points ahead of its closest rivals, the iPhone 3Gs and the HTC Evo 4G.
The product evaluation agency rated the iPhone 4 “Excellent” in its display, navigation, Web browsing, multimedia and battery life categories, “Very Good” in phoning and messaging and “Good” in voice quality.
The iPhone 4 beat out the HTC Evo as well as all the other Smartphones and had the highest score of 76/100. The signal issue described is that holding the lower-left corner of the iPhone 4 can reduce cell phone signal and affect calls in areas with lower reception. The issue depends on your local coverage and can be alleviated with a phone case.

Article Link: Aside from Signal Issue, Consumer Reports Rates iPhone 4 Highest Amongst All Smartphones

MikieMcBikie

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2009
TN
So they conclude, with graphs, that a million+ users are utter retards for buying this thing?

just saying....not a nice thing to say about anyone, the tard thing and all.

I love mine btw...guess my chi flows correctly for it to work, idk :p

devinher

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2010
The power of headlines

This has been almost totally lost in all the headlines I saw today - they were all about how Consumer Reports nailed Apple on the reception issue, barely mentioning the fact that the iphone scores were so strong otherwise.

Perception is reality and this is becoming a brand issue that I hope Apple begins to confront in a better way. The idea of a coating sounds good, but would it last? I'd love to hear what percentage of phones are impacted.

Pachang

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2009
thanks for keeping us updated on every single piece of information that comes from anywhere about anything to do with the iphone.

We really care a lot.

Portal83

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2009
As much as I consider the recpetion issues a design flaw, it's kind of ridiculous how much attention it's received when it can be solved by a bumper, case, or piece of tape. Most people use them anyways and it makes the problem disappear. Still the best phone on the market.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
I'm still going to buy one... But I totally understand the frustration with the antenna issue... Just for me (and apparently a lot of others) it doesn't matter. I'll just throw a case on it and it wont be a big deal.

Not that I think Apple is acting perfectly here... But the phone is still the best on the market (for me).

remonl

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2008
Re: iPhone 4 scores high on everything else

Aside from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
The idea of a coating sounds good, but would it last? I'd love to hear what percentage of phones are impacted.

Sounds like 100% of iPhones are "affected", but whether it is actually a problem in your day-to-day use depends on your regional signal strength.

arn

robotfist

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
That really is a shame.

It was so close to being a perfect phone, and that one issue screwed up the works.

I think I'd be willing to forgive it all if Apple would just come forward and give away those damn bumpers.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
Aside from signal issue, faulty proximity sensor, and randomly disconnecting bluetooth, it's a great phone... :-(

lshaner

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2007
In the "Multimedia" or WebBrowsing category, how did the not ding them even a LITTLE bit for lack of FLASH?

HTML5 vs. FLASH vs. battery life arguments aside, lack of flash is one reason I continue to return to my desktop for the REAL internet, so it deserves at least a SMALL acknowledgment that for the TIME-BEING, lack of flash is an issue.

bawbag

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2009
I wonder if CR were simply making such a big deal over their endorsement simply for publicity or to generate controversy. I'm glad that the iPhone 4 came out as the highest rated.

HyperX13

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
Everything that I got because of CR recommendation ended up sucking. This includes one car, dish washer and stove. I am not sure how smart those testers are.

laprej

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2005
Troy, NY
So it's hands-down the best, but they can't recommend it? Sounds about right to me.

First and foremost, it's a phone. I'll come out and say that the phone feature is probably the least important part of the device to me, but I still need a phone and not an iPod Touch. I love Apple products as much as anyone, but I'm not buying an iPhone 4 until they fix this and I doubt a software update alone will correct it.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
they shouldn't do that

well you have to remember it does not matter how good the iPhone scrores if it fails at being a cell phone.

Remember first and foremost it is a cell phone. It piss poor antenna design makes it fail at being a cell phone so it automatically fails the test.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
That really is a shame.

It was so close to being a perfect phone, and that one issue screwed up the works.

I think I'd be willing to forgive it all if Apple would just come forward and give away those damn bumpers.
Why don't you just call their CS, they will give you one but why should they issue them out to all who don't ask?

bigbro1096

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
In the "Multimedia" or WebBrowsing category, how did the not ding them even a LITTLE bit for lack of FLASH?

HTML5 vs. FLASH vs. battery life arguments aside, lack of flash is one reason I continue to return to my desktop for the REAL internet, so it deserves at least a SMALL acknowledgment that for the TIME-BEING, lack of flash is an issue.

well that doesnt really count, its like giving a low score cause it doesnt have a qwerty keyboard, its not needed but it would be nice to have it(or not)

jdoyle

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2004
"The killer app is making phone calls"

"The killer app is making phone calls" - Steve Jobs 2007 at intro of original iPhone. This is still true for the iPhone 4. I am sorry but they just have to fix this. I am the ultimate fanboy, an ex Apple Software Tester, but this needs to be recognized as a design flaw it and fixed. For now I am sticking to my 3GS running iOS 4. Steve admit you screwed up and fix. Then the iPhone 4 will take it's rightful place as the best smartphone on the market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.