Asked about pre-ordering today at the AT&T store...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhone3GCrazed, Jun 9, 2010.

1. iPhone3GCrazed macrumors 6502

iPhone3GCrazed

I went to the AT&T store at the mall today and posed this question to the associate:

"If I pre-order an iPhone 4 on June 15th, will I have an iPhone 4 on launch day?"

His answer was almost a flat-out no. He said, "It's not guaranteed that you will get one on launch day. Last I heard, pre-orders will come on June 25th."

I guess the point of this is just to warn people. This totally turned me off to pre-ordering. Even the slightest hint of doubt that I would get my iPhone 4 on launch day convinced me to wait in line.

Then again, it was an AT&T store associate, so at the same time, take this with a grain of salt. But in any event, I'm not pre-ordering.

Thoughts?

2. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

I think this was actually mentioned in an AT&T press release statement or something. Apparently, if you pre-order to have your phone delivered at your home or business residence, it could come as early as June 24th. Whereas, if you pre-order for pick up, you won't be able to get the phone in your possession until June 25th at the earliest.

3. r3voLoL macrumors member

pre-order and get it shipped to your house.... then you're guaranteed to get one on the 24th.

4. iPhone3GCrazed thread starter macrumors 6502

iPhone3GCrazed

I was going to pre-order and still go around 3 or 4am, just because I like the experience. So it doesn't change much. I think if I go early enough I'm pretty much guaranteed a phone anyway.

5. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

I call BS.

I pre-ordered my 3GS last year and I got it on release day. I went down to the store a little before they opened and got it. No fuss, no muss. Not sure what kind of crap these reps are pulling but they should be fired or dealt with.

6. iPhone3GCrazed thread starter macrumors 6502

iPhone3GCrazed

I'm just nervous he might be right because I'm sure the demand will be higher this year that I was for the 3GS. :confused:

7. iPhone3GCrazed thread starter macrumors 6502

iPhone3GCrazed

8. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

They are going to ship out pre-orders first to all stores for all companies carrying at launch.

I doubt they will sellout of the iPhone 4 just because of pre-orders.

Phone launch is the 24th and if you pre-order you should get it no matter what because after all that is the point of a pre-order.

9. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

Weird. Let me back pedal. I read the press release. WTF is up with that? Pre-orders can be picked up at the store ON or AFTER Friday the 25th? The phone releases on the 24th. What are the AT&T stores going to be doing that day? Jerking off?

I swear. I wonder what goes on through some of these peoples heads. Someone's getting paid to much. :rolleyes:

"Hi - our new phone comes out the 24th. Pre-order and you can pick it up AFTER that date!"

No freaking sense.

10. coasterswim macrumors 6502

They are trying to get you to skip the store which has to staff expensive employees and go the cheaper route (for them): shipping to your house.

11. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

ATT sucks at this really. Never try to get a iphone from them on release day!!! order from apple you will get it no matter what!! ATT runs out in like a hour and get like two per store!

12. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

I might pre-order at Best Buy or if Apple ships to my home fast - then I might do that. I don't know if I will risk it with AT&T this year.

13. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

14. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

If you really like the experience, then I suggest you wait in line. But if getting the iPhone 4 on launch day is more important, order from Apple (not AT&T), have it shipped to your house, and receive it on the 24th.

15. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Best option right here. Did this last year and will do this Tuesday!

16. Built macrumors 68020

+1

Pickup at the AT&T store is quickly losing its status as an option for me.

17. CJayC macrumors 6502

What a wrong thing to say. The employees are paid the same whether 2 people buy service that day, or 1000 buy service that day. Shipping to your house costs about $8 per package.

18. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Doesn't mean they aren't making changes this year. Apparently Apple isn't taking reservations either.

Edit: Just saw your back-pedal.

19. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

Seriously, do this. I did it for the 3GS and it was great. No need to worry about lines or anything, just be there and sign for it! Definitely the best option.

20. Built macrumors 68020

I'm definitely leaning in that direction.

The only way I might change my mind is if Best Buy allows me to pre-order for pickup on launch day.

21. coasterswim macrumors 6502

But the more pre-orders they have, the more workers they must put in each store on that day. Keeping pre-orders away means AT&T stores can remain staffed at their normal levels.

22. Built macrumors 68020

Exactly.

23. CJayC macrumors 6502

Since Apple does free shipping, THEY must pay the shipping costs which cost up to $8 per package. An employee works near minimum wage, at around $7-10 an hour.

Which one is more cost effective? Common sense....not so common.

24. xraytech macrumors 68030

Pre-Order and have it shipped to your home. You'll probably have it a day or two later but you'll have it for sure.