Asked to use Apple Pay at Subway. Cashier Baffled.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KuchiKopi, Oct 26, 2014.

1. KuchiKopi macrumors regular

KuchiKopi

Has anyone had any luck using Apple Pay at Subway? I told the cashier i was going to pay with Apple Pay on my iPhone and she had no idea what I was talking about :(

2. Jessem1133 macrumors 6502

Why do you need to alert the cashier? Just hold it near the NFC terminal. If it lights up, great. If not, pay normally.

3. mr1581 macrumors 6502

stop with this ****ing "apple pay" ...yes there is apple pay..but you can also use it as just NFC... half the people working have no clue what apple pay or google wallet or even NFC are..but they know that people can just swipe their phone....

4. KuchiKopi thread starter macrumors regular

KuchiKopi

There was no terminal, the swipe thing was behind the register

5. CanadaEh macrumors regular

6. Shan S. macrumors member

Just go to the stores and see if they have a NFC terminal. If they do it will work. 'Apple Pay' is not an official piece of hardware or anything like that. Android phones uses the term 'Google Wallet' for their wallet. Both terms are the backend tech names for the encryption. The store people will have no idea about that...

Both basically work at any NFC Register. Just look for the sideways looking WiFi symbol..

Also I would not use the term Apple Pay at the stores.. 99% of the people will have no idea what that is as it is just the wallet technology.

[​IMG]

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Not all Subways support NFC. It's up to each franchise so it's not a given you'll be able to use Apple Pay at all subways.

8. Jessem1133 macrumors 6502

Then how would you have done it? Just use common sense. Don't make this more difficult for everyone.

9. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Well your not going to run around the other side of the register so no they don't take Apple pay

10. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

That little number pad that is free floating and attached with a cord to their register is a NFC reader. The display will show the NFC logo when it is ready. Just make sure to tell the cashier you wish to pay with credit.

11. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

Sadly common sense is severely lacking here on this board. But yeah K.I.S.S. - keep it simply stupid. Just say credit when you want to pay. Wave your phine at the terminal. It lights up, great. If not, use your credit card.

12. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Only at Subways using a specific Subway issued POS system

13. WolfSnap macrumors 6502a

WolfSnap

I went to a Subway today. They tried to do a 'mobile payment' (with the stupid QR code). Of course, the NFC didn't work... When they tapped 'credit', it lit up correctly.

So, here's what I learned:

Tell the cashier you'll be paying with CREDIT. Then, use your phone.

14. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

It doesn't take Apple Pay to baffle a Subway cashier.

15. themyst macrumors 6502

Lots of Subways around here don't even have a POS, you hand card, they swipe, dial up using a modem, and wait for the receipt to print out.

16. joeybuckets macrumors regular

joeybuckets

17. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Why the heck would ask a clerk about using Apple Pay? If you don't understand how to use it, break out your card. It's really simple to use. If your iPhone lights up, good. If not, they don't have it.

18. jim.hickman.777 macrumors regular

You actually eat at subway? God what a puke palace

19. justindavis098 macrumors member

Well at least this isn't about someone using Apple pay at McDonald's. Baby steps.

20. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

People really lack common sense... If they don't have a terminal and swipe it on their end, how do you expect to use touch ID to use Apple pay?

21. deeddawg macrumors 604

22. KuchiKopi thread starter macrumors regular

KuchiKopi

How is it simple to tell them "I want to pay with my credit card" and then use a phone? Thats extremely confusing to anyone not on this forum

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Many people outside of MacRumors don't follow apple's every move. Why would someone's lack of knowledge of an apple specific service be so baffling? My wife who has an iPhone had no idea what that was, and she hears me spouting off all the time on apple products.

24. KuchiKopi thread starter macrumors regular

KuchiKopi

I didn't say that it was baffling, I said that the cashier was baffled. I'm just kind of disappointed because i thought this would mark the end of credit cards and instead it seems like more of a hassle.

25. dave420 macrumors 65816

It can be useful at places that it works at. I'm sure in response to customers there are going to be some changes in the future. I could definitely see that quite a few people will tend to use stores where they can pay with their phone, which could influence other businesses. It's still early now.