Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
How is it simple to tell them "I want to pay with my credit card" and then use a phone? Thats extremely confusing to anyone not on this forum

It doesn't matter if cashier is confused. All they need to do on their POS is enter the total and select Credit. Us as the customer waving around our phone or physical card really makes no difference as long as it gets approved.

vertigo235

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2009
Just go to the stores and see if they have a NFC terminal. If they do it will work. 'Apple Pay' is not an official piece of hardware or anything like that. Android phones uses the term 'Google Wallet' for their wallet. Both terms are the backend tech names for the encryption. The store people will have no idea about that...

Both basically work at any NFC Register. Just look for the sideways looking WiFi symbol..

Also I would not use the term Apple Pay at the stores.. 99% of the people will have no idea what that is as it is just the wallet technology.

Unless it's CVS or Rite Aid, since they have disabled the NFC functions of their terminals.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I didn't say that it was baffling, I said that the cashier was baffled. I'm just kind of disappointed because i thought this would mark the end of credit cards and instead it seems like more of a hassle.

you baffled them for no reason, you essentially are still using your debit/credit card, say which card you want to pay with and hold your phone up to the NFC terminal

natsinicky

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2014
It's gonna take a long time for the nfc payments to be ubiquitous. Right now, they are kinda sparse. I would wait a few months, at least, to expect this to be available in most locations.

Like, there are still some places that don't accept credit cards, let alone nfc payments lol

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I didn't say that it was baffling, I said that the cashier was baffled. I'm just kind of disappointed because i thought this would mark the end of credit cards and instead it seems like more of a hassle.

I know and that's my point. Why should any Tom, Dick or Harry know anything about Apple Pay. I mean if they're not an Apple fan, its quite possible that they never heard of it.

natsinicky

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2014
I know and that's my point. Why should any Tom, Dick or Harry know anything about Apple Pay. I mean if they're not an Apple fan, its quite possible that they never heard of it.

Mamma Mia, never even heard of it!?! Preposterous ;p

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

I bet that a large number of iPhone users know nothing about Apple Pay. Unless you have a 6 that is and I am betting many 6 owners do not know either.

Sometimes we all forget that it is US, in this forum, that is out of the ordinary when it comes to Apple products.

L-Tuned

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
I bet that a large number of iPhone users know nothing about Apple Pay. Unless you have a 6 that is and I am betting many 6 owners do not know either.

Sometimes we all forget that it is US, in this forum, that is out of the ordinary when it comes to Apple products.
Exactly. I have used Apple Pay 3 times (twice at Mcd and once at Footlocker). All 3 times the cashier looked baffled. I just told him I'd like to pay with a credit card and I took out my phone to the terminal. I think the dude at Footlocker was high or something, he was like WTF man!! that's so fling cool. :cool:

Roikins

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2014
The NFC's been around for long time. I have close to my home 7-11 who has it. And before there was ApplePay ,some banks had a CC or debit cards with that wifi logo,that you could put your card at the top of the terminal and transaction was approved. I did that like 4 years ago,and the clerk was surprised. What the hell happened ???? How did you paid :)

Roikins

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2014
I found one old card :) it looks like this , it was in 2004
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414429577.236508.jpg

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

If my great grandma read about it in the paper, and she knows about it, the people working retail who faces customers better know. When chip cards came out, and Walmart turned it on, we ALL got trained and informed of it.

Gincoma

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013

You thought apple pay will end credit cards???? Seriously??? We will have credit cards for the next 10 years or so. What ges on thru your head, that and the fact the terminal wasnt available to you yet you still asked to use Apple pay...just WOW

blunti

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Has anyone had any luck using Apple Pay at Subway? I told the cashier i was going to pay with Apple Pay on my iPhone and she had no idea what I was talking about :(

I think the cashier was expecting a few apples from you as payment. Cashier might've been happier if you offered some bananas instead.

Who doesn't like bananas.

dilutedq

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Has anyone had any luck using Apple Pay at Subway? I told the cashier i was going to pay with Apple Pay on my iPhone and she had no idea what I was talking about :(

Why are you asking to pay with apple pay. That is embarrassing. if you see the terminal to pay with your phone do so, if not move on and use your CC.

Stevessvt

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2010
KuchiKopi: 'Hey I want to pay for this delicious, nutritious Subway almost foot longer with my super duper Apple Pay!'

Cashier:
deerinheadlights.jpg

KuchiKopi: ....

srshaw

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
I'd never been in a Subway until I visited Philadelphia in the summer. I think I was the one who was confused. I wonder how many combinations of sandwich you can buy?

Anyway that particular store didn't even take card payments (although I think something was broken).

Nice sandwich though once I'd eventually chosen one.... This is exactly the kind of shop that should be doing quick contactless payments.

----------

KuchiKopi: 'Hey I want to pay for this delicious, nutritious Subway almost foot longer with my super duper Apple Pay!'

Cashier: Image

KuchiKopi: ....

Brilliant.

hotsauce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
May I pay for my Subway Cold Cut using my ApplePay App installed on my Apple iphone 6 Plus enclosed in a brown Apple leather case? If not, do you accept paper currency issued by the U.S. Government?

unnamedny

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2014
Google on "Apple Pay dead on arrival? CVS and Rite Aid join Walmart with ban on new system as retail rivals unite to create their own payment app"

There are more surprises to come.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.