Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

170127-ap_logo.jpg

The Associated Press today announced plans to create a new business unit known as "AP Gateway" that will focus on mobile platforms, with an application for Apple's iPad tablet device set to serve as the launch product from the division. AP Gateway will also seek to leverage the technology behind its iPad application to assist its local news affiliates with creating packages of their own content.

It appears likely that the application will require a paid subscription as the new organization continues its attempts to monetize mobile distribution of its content, although an AP executive suggested that it may appear as a free application at first.
The group already has drawn up plans to charge for an application designed for the iPad, a 1.5-pound tablet computer that Apple Inc. is scheduled to release at the end of March. The price of the application has yet to be determined, although it might start free, according to Jane Seagrave, a senior vice president who becomes the AP's chief revenue officer Monday.

Much like the AP Mobile news product, the iPad app will show custom packages of headlines, stories, photos and video from the AP and from newspapers and broadcasters that choose to contribute their content and share the revenue. AP members also could use the same system to offer their own iPad apps that show their own content.
Attempts to bring newspaper content to the iPad have hit a few hurdles as the device's launch approaches with internal units of The New York Times reportedly vying for control over the distribution and disagreeing over pricing for the newspaper's content. Newspaper and magazine publishers have also been expressing concern over revenue sharing with Apple and the company's unwillingness to share subscriber information that publishers depend on for marketing and tailoring their content.

Article Link: Associated Press Announces Plans for iPad Application

alywa

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Gonna be interesting

I'm all for content providers trying out the subscription model (NYT, AP, WSJ, etc)... If people are looking for a replacement for newspapers, they may actually pay for it. I have no doubt people will pay for magazine subscriptions on the iPad.

Personally, I'll still use CNN or other free websites / apps for my news. Or I'll use aggregators (Fark.com, for example)... I'd imagine it will be 100:1 free -vs- paid, but content organizations deserve to get paid (be it through subscriptions or advertising).

We'll see how this plays out.

Comment

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I hope it isn't going to take 1 to 2 minutes to launch, like the iPhone version does.

Comment

Goaliegeek

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Colorado
The AP app for iPhone is total garbage. Takes for ever to load, push notifies non important stories, and crashes all the time. I'd never pay for such a garbage app. The Engadget app is where it's at. Perfect. Loads in seconds.

Comment

GoodWrites

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2010
Washington, DC Metro
AP App Could be Good

Although the iPhone app does have issues, my gut tells me that this app might get some assistance from Jobs and team to ensure it looks and ACTS nice. Jobs is trying to put the iPad between the phone and notebook computer.

He is not going to want the initial apps to perform poorly especially something specifically in the news and reading arena that he spoke to at the release.

My gut tells me this app will get help and be quite good.

Comment

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I still can't decide whether it's better for all these newspaper and magazine publishers to create their own apps and formats, or if it'd be a better experience for Apple to enforce a standard, unified format and run everything through iTunes. I can see it being a kind of fragmented, messy experience with a lot of different apps, unique UIs for each piece of content, maintaining different accounts with each provider, etc.

Comment

blackpond

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
Whatever happened to the iTunes delivery network, the standardized publishing format, the one-store-for-all-media concept? I'm going to need a separate App for everything I subscribe to? Is this seriously what is supposed to reinvent the print industry?

What is it about the iPad that makes this possible? Why doesn't every newspaper and magazine write a custom app for any computer to access paid content?

Hey, print industry, the concept that was about to save your slumping subscriptions was a unified delivery system backed by millions of paying customers! This idea of one publisher, yet another "app" is absurd. Best of luck to you, but I'm not buying it.

Comment

GoodWrites

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2010
Washington, DC Metro
HiRez - LOL

I live your sign-off. Absolutely! Get outside and see the view. Many would be surprised these days! I go outside all the time and shoot photos.

You are true. I guess there is a tradeoff between a common GUI that presents a user experience that is similar and the variability that an uncommon GUI provides to the publisher. That is a hard one.

Overall. I would vote for uncommon GUIs at the discretion of the company/organization. If I don't like one, I'll move to another! ;)

Comment

Rocketman

macrumors 603
My takeaway from the article is not access to viewing content, but iPad as a tool to capture, edit and send content from a variety of places. Basically a portable iMovie workstation and content injest station. It may only be able to display 1024x768, but there is nothing keeping it from EDITING 1080p HD. Slooowwly.

Rocketman

Comment

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Whatever happened to the iTunes delivery network, the standardized publishing format, the one-store-for-all-media concept? I'm going to need a separate App for everything I subscribe to? Is this seriously what is supposed to reinvent the print industry?

What is it about the iPad that makes this possible? Why doesn't every newspaper and magazine write a custom app for any computer to access paid content?

Hey, print industry, the concept that was about to save your slumping subscriptions was a unified delivery system backed by millions of paying customers! This idea of one publisher, yet another "app" is absurd. Best of luck to you, but I'm not buying it.

This is probably the most disappointing part of the iPad announcement.

I assumed they would have a magazine/print app like they do for books, that newspapers and magazines could easily use to format and provide their content.

That each publisher will have to make their own app seems to make it much less useful. If they did have a centralized mechanism to publish and display newspapers and magazines I think you would see everyone jumping on board, and new publications coming into existance to take advantage of it.

As it is, seems like a lot of independent work to put out a lot of inferior products. Seems like a mistake on Apple's part.

Comment

TheSlush

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2007
New York, NY
Why isn't Apple standardizing the iPad magazine/newspaper user experience?

I still can't decide whether it's better for all these newspaper and magazine publishers to create their own apps and formats, or if it'd be a better experience for Apple to enforce a standard, unified format and run everything through iTunes. I can see it being a kind of fragmented, messy experience with a lot of different apps, unique UIs for each piece of content, maintaining different accounts with each provider, etc.

This is probably the most disappointing part of the iPad announcement.

I assumed they would have a magazine/print app like they do for books, that newspapers and magazines could easily use to format and provide their content.

That each publisher will have to make their own app seems to make it much less useful. If they did have a centralized mechanism to publish and display newspapers and magazines I think you would see everyone jumping on board, and new publications coming into existance to take advantage of it.

As it is, seems like a lot of independent work to put out a lot of inferior products. Seems like a mistake on Apple's part.

I agree with you guys 100%. I worry about a big diversity of UIs... some good, some terrible.

With publishers increasingly partnering with companies like Adobe (and other user interface developers) on tablet interfaces, I feel like Apple is risking missing their chance to dictate and standardize -- which they like to do -- the way magazines/newspapers/periodicals will be experienced on the iPad. Are they intentionally going to let each publisher create whatever types of interfaces they want?

At the iPad launch, I was sure that Apple was going to introduce a new approach to the creation, display, subscription, and selling of published media including newspapers, magazines, and periodicals. I was sure Steve sought to reinvent the publishing industry with his tablet just as he had the music industry with his iPod/iTunes. I anticipated a new "iNewsstand" section of iTunes. I anticipated over-the-air subscription renewals and push delivery of new issues. I anticipated an innovative interface merging print with animation and video (the components of which would perhaps be available as part of the new SDK). I even anticipated rich full-screen opportunities for advertisers. But Apple didn't really rethink any of these publishing issues (yet).

It seems unlike Apple to not try to control more the way these magazine/newspaper "apps" are developed. Their lack of attention at the iPad's launch to a consistent iPad magazine/newspaper/periodical experience is seeming more like a missed opportunity every day.

Comment

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
An anonymous AP executive was heard saying "We will certainly be looking into this as soon as our fact finding team returns with info on this world-wide-web that people have been buzzing about lately..."

Comment

alywa

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
I agree with you 100%. I worry about a big diversity of UIs... some good, some terrible.

I'm not. Music is music... it needs to be in a format that can be heard. Apple placed no restrictions on content (well, it did the explicit label, but otherwise...) Podcasts, albums, singles, etc... all voice / sound.

Magazines / newspapers / books / texts can take a variety of formats. Some may work well downloaded as .pdf files (static), some may work better with constantly updated info / graphics / sounds. A uniform environment will stifle innovation.

This is a brave, new media paradigm. Apple is being very wise by letting content providers course their own waters. In the end, uniformity may rule, but until the dust settles, let the providers test the market.

iBooks will be pretty uniform experience for reading. I'd imagine a zinio-type magazine / comic book app will emerge victorious. For news... that really depends on the provider.

/looking forward to it. Should be an interesting next year or so.

Comment

Thex1138

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I think all of the corporate news agencies are missing one important issue.
If they and every other news outlet start charging a premium for news, then they will thin their audience even further. No one would subscribe to multiple paid outlets.
Once a person tries one subscription and it's poorly done, abcenely biased, crappy quality, then it will taint them all. Then we'll all go back to free aggregatiors and rss.
I do hope mags like Wired.com live up to their hype rather than waste my time.

Comment

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
If these companies think I'm spending $600 for a 3G iPad, $30/month for "limited" unlimited data, then another $100/month on various content subscriptions, they are sadly mistaken. I think I speak for most of us that the iPad isn't that revolutionary to make us add $100+ more per month in fees and services.

Need AP? How about launching Safari then reading RSS feeds from Yahoo News, Google, etc. Good enough. AP trying to kill RSS much???

Comment

jazbo brown

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2010
Everybody saying "I'll just get my news for free from google (or whatever) is missing the point. If AP puts there content in apps with a subscription instead of on the web for free, then google won't be able to see it. Nobody knows if this will work out from a business point of view, but it's not too hard to imagine that all the news companies that continue to put their news on the web for free eventually go out of business because "free" doesn't pay the bill. So now there would not be a lot of news companies left, but the surviving ones did it through apps with subscriptions -- AP, WSJ, NYT, etc. So now when you go to goggle news, what do you see? no AP , no WSJ, no NYT, just free stuff, basically blogs and tweets. For many people, blogs and tweets is all the news they need. But I would bet there will be some segment of people who want more, and they will get a subscription to a news agency or two (kind of like our parents had a subscription to a newspaper or two). I can image that future pretty easy.

Comment

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
Paid subscription? No thanks.

Well get ready as I suspect many will be paid for subscriptions. This device my end up costing a ton.

I hope not, but I fear the worst as it sure seems to be a trend on the net. Time will tell! ;)

Comment

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
But you pay for that one with licensing fees. Nothing says the BBC might not start limiting non UK IPs. Or adding even more advertising.

I know I already pay for it with the licensing fees. Being in the UK I will never see advertising from the BBC (due to the aforementioned licence fee).

Why would I ever spend money on an iPad then an app just to view some subscription based news app? I'm being VERY selfish and talking from a UK perspective but as long as my Phone/PS3/Wii/Work Computer/Home Computer/Netbook has a web browser, I'll never be more than a click away from news. :D

For all those that do invest in the iPad and this subscription based app, ENJOY! :apple: :cool:

Comment

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
I'm all for content providers trying out the subscription model (NYT, AP, WSJ, etc)... If people are looking for a replacement for newspapers, they may actually pay for it. I have no doubt people will pay for magazine subscriptions on the iPad.

Ah yeah, yet another paid subscription... Will AP.org, or AP on Facebook or Twitter still be free?

I'm not against some form of compensation, but I wish there would be a subscription pool of content where you paid a monthly subscription that allowed you to premium iPad sites like NYT for iPad, AP for iPad, or magazines for iPad, etc. Like cable, where you pay a monthly bill and in return get access to "x" number of channels.

Otherwise, only real fans of the NYT or AP or some magazine, etc. will subscribe and thus these content providers will have lower numbers when looking at dedicated subscribers to their particular offering versus being able to tell their ad providers (you didn't think just because you pay a subscription those annoying ads were no longer there) that you are in a subscription pool whose membership is a million possible viewers versus the paltry actual subscriber base of 25,000 dedicated subscribers.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how things shake out... :cool:

Comment

jemo07

macrumors regular
May 6, 2006
Madrid, Spain
Wait, I thought I saw and Apple Flash Like SW out there @ one of the major News Media here in Spain getting ready for iPad.

Interface looked like Indesign.... you create a template, then you pint it xhtml at bang, flash like content.

Sorry I can´t discuss the source or any other detail because I don´t have anything else... I peeked at someone testing it and I saw some banner like content on a mac (not an iPad).

Can anyone else confirm this?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.