Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
The minimum? Nothing, that's right, nothing! Even if Apple does not release a phone this year iPhone 4 will still sell more than any other smartphone.

And I don't understand why 3GS is called "minor" update, it was not minor, the design was not changed but inside the changes were pretty damn significant. RAM doubled, the CPU improved considerably, 32GB storage, new camera, etc...

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I'd say it already competes. Runs buttery smooth and still takes photo/video better than most the phones out there. Bigger storage capacity, just for the hell of it and maybe a new notification system to appease the masses and it's done.

Yup, I agree. I'm hoping for 64gb.

Everything else I'm pretty content with at the moment.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
A reliable phone capable of making & holding a clear call.

Very basic, yet something Apple isn't about to do when they love playing victim & finger pointing. Blaming others is a childish way of life at Apple.

Interesting how prior to the iPhone, Apple was a great adult company with terrific computers.

My iPhone 4 has done nothing but make clear, reliable calls. The antennagate thing is way overplayed. The iPhone's call reliability is dependent upon where you are. Where i am, AT&T is fine. Therefore, my iPhone 4 is fine.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
To match the competition, the iPhone 5 should have:

Dual-Core processor. Is more powerful and saves battery life.
Stronger GPU. Tegra 2 would be Godlike but we all know it won't happen.
1GB of RAM. Maximum future-proof.
8MP camera without green spot issue.
Antennagate-free antenna. Seems they're not doing this either.
Flash. Yes, Flash.
OS overhaul. iOS looks so boring now.
More open-ness, less stupid restrictions. And for the love of God, fix iTunes.
Filesystem browser and ability to download files. If this thing wants to call itself a computer, then at least make it act like one.

And a lot more, but probably none of these will happen because Apple isn't really much for pushing the envelope anymore.

Broph

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
New Zealand
What I reckon...

8 Megapixel back camera
3 Megapixel front camera
Storage options of up to 64GB
1GB RAM
Improved A4 chip (not dual core)
Improved Antenna
It'll still be same general shape/size - maybe a little thinner.
Same Retina screen
Glass gone from the back - maybe brushed aluminum.
Two microphones

More software based things i.e. Navigation software, more focus on improved mobile me etc.

I think it'll still be the iPhone 5, not 4s or anything.

yodaxl7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Next chip needs to work on iPad 2, iPhone 5, apple tv3, and ipod touch 5. Apple wants to minimize costs and it would be cheaper to use the same chip for all of these devices. Steve wants to win. So, the next chip is more than likely will be a dual core chip. I do think this would allow better performance on the next iPad. Just like the macbook pros, apple does use the latest and the greatest chip. I don't see why Apple would not use a dual core chip for the next iPhone. With the dual core, apple would need to bump up the ram to 1 gig.
1. dual core - definitely!
2. more ram - 1 gig
3. bigger memory- 64 gig, maybe 128 gig
4. bigger screen would be nice
5. revamp notification
6. revamp multitasking (doubt it)
7. better cameras (maybe kinetic like).
8. nfc
9. wifi direct
10. one or two suprises

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think a new notification system is highly likely considering Apples acquisition of the mind behind WebOS' notification system.

But to answer your question "At a minimum what is the next iPhone going to need to compete in June 2011?", an Apple logo.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think a new notification system is highly likely considering Apples acquisition of the mind behind WebOS' notification system.

But to answer your question "At a minimum what is the next iPhone going to need to compete in June 2011?", an Apple logo.

Absolutely! Apple could skip this year and still sell tons of iPhones. So I'll go 1 further and say to remain competitive Apple just needs to avoid bankruptcy!

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
I think what most people in this forum overlook when eyeballing the hardware specs, is that people buy the iPhone for the experience...the whole Apple eco-system. I mean really, I can now push media content from my iPhone to my TV (AppleTV) and other rooms by using Apple's Airport Extreme & Express devices. Moreover, I can use the same iPhone as a single source remote for all of this.

Obviously it does way more than just this, my point is, the main consumer doesn't care what is stamped on the internal components...they just want the device to do all these magical things.

While Google is still perfecting their OS, Apple is discovering ways to integrate all their products (old and new) for the consumer.

shazzam

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
One of the surprises... HD Voicecalling.
Steve's line: "It's like going from radio to CD."
:)

trumptman

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
SoCal
A dock with an HDMI out, or a dock connector to HDMI cable, or a HDMI port on the phone itself (but that's probably the least likely). What with the capabilities of the iPhone now it would just be nice to be able to plug it into a TV anywhere, without any extra hardware/software.

Besides that I think a few minor incremental upgrades will complete the iPhone '4GS' or whatever they call it.

Apple won't do this. They would rather sell you an AppleTV and let you use AirPlay.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Once again the bar was raised at CES with the release of the next generation super devices. IMO Apple will have to do some serious catching up for it's next iPhone release.

My opinion is that at a minimum this is what I feel the next iPhone should have:

Complete iOS revamp-> Lol...no
Dual core processor-> Unlikely
Decent notification system-> Finally something sensible and plausible
Larger screen-> Maybe but you'll likely be referred to the Retina Display.

Lol...complete revamp...lol.

To match the competition, the iPhone 5 should have:

Dual-Core processor. Is more powerful and saves battery life.
Stronger GPU. Tegra 2 would be Godlike but we all know it won't happen.
1GB of RAM. Maximum future-proof.
8MP camera without green spot issue.
Antennagate-free antenna. Seems they're not doing this either.
Flash. Yes, Flash.
OS overhaul. iOS looks so boring now.
More open-ness, less stupid restrictions. And for the love of God, fix iTunes.
Filesystem browser and ability to download files. If this thing wants to call itself a computer, then at least make it act like one.

In other words they should just dump their OS altogether and switch to Android and have Motorola build their devices :rolleyes:

Last edited:

fabianjj

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2007
Better notifications, widgets, and the stock apps need some updating. That and, of course, a better antenna :)

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
At a minimum what is the next iPhone going to need to compete in June 2011?

Nothing besides being on more carriers. What you will probably get, though, is a faster processor, more memory and continued improvements in iOS.

ssdeg7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
I think push notifications is a good idea gone bad. It really doesn't work that great. iOS 5.0 will have to improve that.

zipster

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2011
With Android devices becoming more prevalent, better designed, and more powerful, Apple definitely needs to get ready to compete. I don't think they took Android seriously until recently.

If iPhone 5 doesn't stack up, I'm ready to switch. These Android phones are looking good. It took them some time to catch up, but there are some pretty devices that offer more functionality.

Looon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
I'd say dual core processor, bigger battery (atrix has 1900mah while iPhone has 1500mah I belive), 1080p video camera, revamped notifications, hspa+ (21mb), 64gb storage, a doc with HDMI out, improved antena, and 1gb ram. I think that about covers it. Oh, 720p FaceTime.

what's it like living in fantasy land?

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US
I don't see much of a need for a more powerful processor. I've had the iPhone 4 since launch and can't recall any slow-downs. A better front-facing camera would be nice, maybe a slightly larger screen, and a better battery.

The notification system is the only blatant flaw with iOS in my opinion, so that definitely needs to be fixed. Should Verizon indeed come to iPhone, I think Apple is more than set for the year.

Gordon Gekko

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
Wall Street
Once again the bar was raised at CES with the release of the next generation super devices. IMO Apple will have to do some serious catching up for it's next iPhone release.

My opinion is that at a minimum this is what I feel the next iPhone should have:

Complete iOS revamp
Dual core processor
Decent notification system
Larger screen

There's tons more to improve upon but this is where IMO Apple should begin.

How about 4G?

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
Perhaps the ipad2 launch soon will give us a glimpse of where Apple is going with the iPhone. Eg if they go dual core in the ipad, it's almost a cert for iPhone. likewise if they bump the GPU.

Not everything will be identical of course, but it'll give us a flavour of what apple has planned for 2011

I'm probably due to replace my phone in April. If ipad2 just gets a RAM bump then i'll grab an iPhone 4. If it gets dual core or a GPU boost, i'll wait it out for iphone5

Hobbes.

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
When will you learn that Apple doesn't care what you want or what the other people are doing.

That's something they made very clear when they ended the Mac Vs. PC war, they didn't win and yet people think Macs are better.

I really see apple doing something cool for the iP5 but nothing that is going to take it near these recent phones because they don't have to make drastic changes for people to buy the products.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
When will you learn that Apple doesn't care what you want or what the other people are doing.

That's something they made very clear when they ended the Mac Vs. PC war, they didn't win and yet people think Macs are better.

I really see apple doing something cool for the iP5 but nothing that is going to take it near these recent phones because they don't have to make drastic changes for people to buy the products.

Not only this, but Apple is moving to integrate all their products. If you buy Apple, you can expect it to play well with everything Apple. This can't be said for all these open platform devices.

Apple cares about the consumer's experience...not the spec sheet!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.