AT&T Again Raising Price of Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plans

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 10, 2017.

1. admirk macrumors newbie

Need some help here guys --

I currently have 4 lines with AT&T. 3 out of the 4 are out of contract. 1 has the UDP. However, I just picked up the iPhone 7+ when it came out on that UDP line. My monthly bill is around $300. I'm 1000% switching over to the T-Mobile One plan. Now my questions is, does this price increase waive the monthly installments owed to AT&T if I decide to switch carriers due to the break of contract ? I know the ETF's are waived but being that I am not under contract, does the same rules apply to the remaining balance of the phone ?

2. Keerock macrumors regular

I pay nearly $4,500 a year for cell service to AT&T for 5 phones. 2 are grandfathered Unlimited. They have given me NO unlimited options to switch to because I have no option of using Direct TV due to property restrictions. Cheers, AT&T, for giving me the big F**K you for being a loyal customer since 1992 (Cellular One) and taking in approximately $80k of my money since then. I heard that Yahoo! is giving up its name... you should grab it, you are complete Yahoos.

3. Mr. Donahue macrumors 6502

Mr. Donahue

I switched to GEIKO and saved more money on car insurance... oh
    T-Mobile rocks!
    AT&T is horrible. Had them for 7 yrs. gave them my youth! I'll never get that back.
    Thank you T-Mobile now I know how a cellular providing relationship should be.

4. ls1dreams, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017

ls1dreams macrumors 6502

I dropped my unlimited plan recently after a few months of paying the $5 bump, and moved to a family plan, dropping my cost from like $75/month to $15/month.

I badly miss unlimited data. I'd convince my parents to switch to T-mobile, but unfortunately their coverage in chicago is apparently some of the worst in the nation.

Down to around 3-5gb of usage now depending on what everyone else is using.

5. kyleh22 macrumors regular

kyleh22

My wife switched to cricket and is absolutely loving it. No complaints at all and she can make unlimited international calls to family for $5 a month.

6. Oman macrumors regular

My plan never increased in price. I still pay 30.46 monthly since i got years ago.

7. bkaus macrumors regular

I believe at this point, there are no unlimited plans under contract. They were all 2 year contracts and they stopped making this plan available years ago. So they are all month to month. Yes, you may cancel.

8. Bako-MacAddict, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2017

Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

I switched to T-Mobile yesterday. Saving $40 monthly now. I'm happy so far.

Edit: Ok,so I just wanted to update my review with T-Mobile,lol. Not so good in my location. I go snowboarding almost every weekend during the winter up here in California, so when I went up there in the mountains I wasn't getting no service what's so ever. In town my internet was pretty slow. Therefore , I switched to Verizon and I couldn't be more happy with the the data speeds and coverage. Glad I left At&T. Screw those guys,lol.

Ended up selling my At&T iPhone for $750 on craigslist and ended up buying a sim free matte black iPhone 7 plus. Previously had the jet black, I'm really digging the matte black more for some reason. Loving the change. Happy camper.

9. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Huh? Losing a customer is losing a customer, and companies care about that. It's more costly to acquire a new one than to maintain an existing one.

AT&T certainly doesn't care about retaining unprofitable customers.

But, yeah, it would seemingly make more sense for AT&T to tell everyone on UDP "We will be terminating the availability of this plan in X months. Based on your usage patterns, we believe Y plan would fit your needs. We will convert your service to this plan on [date], unless you cancel first. If you contact us to select this plan, or a different one that you would prefer, we will give you a $20 statement credit in your first month on the new plan."

- Customers who don't contact them stay as customers, but with fair warning
    - They sell existing customers on a new plan
    - They provide an incentive to sign up for a new plan specifically
    - People can cancel if they want to go elsewhere.

10. eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

Well, I work out regularly and eat healthy. I'll probably out live you.

11. sman789 Customer Support

sman789

Shhh, keep it a secret. Mine's still that price too lol.

People love to hate on AT&T but I have nothing but love for them.

12. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

1. If a user opts for a pay-go plan, sure, they can just be metered for the data they use and pay per mb. People select the plan best for them. Not really sure what your argument is here. Again, for my $40, metered or not metered, there is no other plan I could have where I could consume 22GB of full speed LTE data each month. Even if I only use 8GB it's still relatively cheap.

2. What condescension?

3. Costs are multifaceted. You seem to want me to pigeonhole one cost. My overall point is that networks are expensive to operate and just like other goods and services of life, costs generally increase over time.

13. unixphone macrumors regular

I have ATT with grandfather unlimited data plan and my gf has t mobile. We live in the bay area and i can tell ATT is much better in regards with speed/reception.

Even though i have 20% fan discount with ATT, i am planning to move to T mobile this weekend. T mobile international program is too good to be true. I hate switching sim card when we travel.

14. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I have 2 unlimited grandfathered with AT&T, and after testing T-Mobile with a third line I'm going to drop AT&T and go to T-Mobile, significant savings and more services. What had AT&T provide prices increases and no additional services.
    Unlimited data, thetering, free data roaming are bough reasons to move.

15. RaoulDuke42 macrumors newbie

RaoulDuke42

Oh yeah! The tethering for free is clutch! I'm using it right now to peruse the forums here on my iPad mini through my iPhone SE. Most handy. Take notes Verizon and AT&T!
    --- Post Merged, Jan 12, 2017 ---
    I suppose getting a credit would be nice, but I don't really see how it's "snake oil," if it's a better solution at no extra charge to me compared to what the other cell companies offer. All four major carriers have weak service where I live due to hills. When I was on AT&T I could've grovelled and wasted my time begging for a micro-cell unit to improve my in home reception, but I have better things to do. I'll take solutions over aggrievement every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

16. fyun89 macrumors 6502

That's very strange. My bill hasn't got an update yet. I still pay $30...

17. ibookg409 macrumors 6502a

ibookg409

This was the last straw for me. I'm going to sell my Unlimited Grandfathered Plan if possible.

18. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

$30/mo on Cricket only gets you 1GB of data. Unlimited data costs $70/mo.

Don't forget that you also can't tether, speeds are limited to 8Mbps (which for some may not be enough), no international data included, and pings are 3-4x higher.

19. jackedint macrumors newbie

I'm on the grandfathered AT&T unlimited data plan with a nice 20% off FAN

so today I pay $28/month ($35 base)
    next month, it will be $32/month ($40 base)

meh... i go though 7 to 8 GB of data a month on average so no reason for me to switch.
    pretty sure throttling does not happen anymore, but not positive.
    I bet next year (2018) at&t will hike it yet again. AT&T has great service around me, so not sure if I would every switch carriers. Would I use/like tethering, yeah but I live just fine without it.

what gets me is the strange nickle/dime fees...

Administrative Fee $0.76
    Federal Universal Service Charge $1.92
    Regulatory Cost Recover Charge $1.04
    state/municipal telecommunications tax $6.38
    (last one, taxes... ok, i understand this one, listed it only because it does make the ones above odd)

20. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Lower priority
    No VoLTE
    No VoWiFi
    Throttled LTE
    Horrible pings

21. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Finally left AT&T for good today, almost 10 years of unlimited iPhone data.
    Now 3 lines with all unlimited + Canada and Mexico coverage too, 3G tethering which At&T refused to enable, unlimited 3G texting and data roaming in most other countries, and one time $150 cash back per line, plus the Tuesdays free things...No variable fees that change every now and then plus any extra line I would like to add in the future for just $20/month.
    Nice competition from T-Mobile they really got it.
    They told me that to have better coverage in their upgraded network to use iPhone 6S or newer iPhones.

22. BeSweeet macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

Generally, yes, as each newer iPhone provides better reception than the previous (with the exception of the iPhone 7 / 7+ that use the Intel modems). Mainly, it's the addition of band 12 LTE that the 6s and up support, which itself depends on whether or not it's deployed in your areas.

23. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Call or go to one of their T-Mobile stores they will have some offers for you to get rid of you previous carrier.
    Keep in mind that you could bring your own phone to their system. $150 cash back per line may help you offset the payment of what you own AT&T too.

24. johnwwwatson macrumors newbie

johnwwwatson

Yes they raised the rate again, but they're the only ones that allow you to iMessage or email while talking to them on the phone.
    I would rather be with AT&T then Verizon, Sprint or T-Mobile.

That's not to say, I'm not streaming 24/7 in protest!
    --- Post Merged, Jan 22, 2017 ---
    Yes they raised the rate again, but they're the only ones that allow you to iMessage or email while talking to them on the phone.
    I would rather be with AT&T then Verizon, Sprint or T-Mobile.

That's not to say, I'm not streaming 24/7 in protest!

25. C DM macrumors Westmere

What exactly do you mean by "they're the only ones that allow you to iMessage or email while talking to them on the phone"?