Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following weeks of delays due to concerns from the aviation industry, Verizon and AT&T were today able to begin deploying C-Band 5G spectrum to improve the availability of 5G connectivity for users across the United States.

iphone-5g-mmwave-16x9.jpg

AT&T's C-Band spectrum is live in limited parts of eight metro areas that include Austin, Chicago, Dallas Ft. Worth, Detroit, Houston, Jacksonville, Orlando, and South Florida. AT&T is taking a careful approach to the rollout, but the carrier says that C-Band spectrum will "expand rapidly" as part of a ramp up in its "thoughtful and efficient deployment." iPhone users who have access to AT&T's C-Band network or previously existing mmWave connectivity will see a "5G+" indicator in the iPhone's cellular status bar.

As for Verizon, the company earlier this month announced plans to expand its 5G Ultra Wideband service to 1,700 cities later in January, and that expansion started today with the launch of C-Band spectrum. Verizon users on Reddit are sharing details on where Verizon's 5G connectivity has suddenly improved, noting the locations where C-Band connectivity is live. Verizon users will see a "5G UW" indicator.

There are reports from across the country, including Los Angeles, Nashville, Salt Lake City, Chicago, Minneapolis, Rochester, and many other smaller cities. Verizon said that it expected the C-Band rollout to bring faster 5G speeds to more than 100 million people, but has not yet shared a C-Band coverage map.

AT&T's 5G+ and Verizon's 5G Ultra Wideband are up to 10x faster than LTE speeds and can hit upwards of a gigabit per second.

Verizon and AT&T are both limiting their C-Band deployment in areas that are near airport runways to give airlines and the FAA more time to figure out whether there are issues with airplane altimeters.

Earlier this week, major U.S. airlines penned an urgent letter warning that the 5G rollout could cause a "catastrophic" crisis resulting in cancelled, delayed, and diverted flights.

The FAA has implemented buffer zones around 50 major airports with wireless transmitters close to runways, but for the time being, AT&T and Verizon will block off a two mile zone around affected airports to address concerns.

Airlines and the two carriers have expressed frustrations over the FAA's lack of action, as the agency has had years to prepare. C-Band spectrum went up for auction in late 2020, with Verizon paying $45 billion and AT&T paying $23 billion for access.

"We are frustrated by the FAA's inability to do what nearly 40 countries have done, which is to safely deploy 5G technology without disrupting aviation services, and we urge it to do so in a timely manner," AT&T said in a statement.

Article Link: AT&T and Verizon Now Rolling Out C-Band 5G Spectrum

Macintosh TV

Suspended
Nov 3, 2021
Reactions: _Spinn_

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
I’m tired of the FAA over this issue.

1. They’ve had years and years to prepare for this and sat on their hands.
2. These bands are used in many other countries like Japan without issue.
3. A large guard band ~200MHz is in place and carriers have agreed not to deploy around plane landing corridors.
4. The FAA, airlines, Airbus/Boeing should have tested the altimeters on all relevant aircraft to confirm they are working fine (which they should if they were designed and maintained properly), instead many aircraft altimeters are still untested.

Strikes me as hollow from the same FAA who OK’d the 737 Max having a life critical system dependent on a single point of failure.

3. A large guard band ~200MHz is in place and carriers have agreed not to deploy around plane landing corridors.
4. The FAA, airlines, Airbus/Boeing should have tested the altimeters on all relevant aircraft to confirm they are working fine (which they should if they were designed and maintained properly), instead many aircraft altimeters are still untested.

Strikes me as hollow from the same FAA who OK’d the 737 Max having a life critical system dependent on a single point of failure.
I agree with this but this post has good information.

@Bryan Bowler

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
Stopped taking airplanes since the Pandemic anyway.

Amtrak sleeper train is my only choice of domestic travel in foreseeable future
I love Amtrak, but it is not exactly socially distant. I am holding off on all travel and using Zoom when I must have "In person" meetings. For the most part, email is the best way to do business.

Reactions: xpxp2002

_Spinn_

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2020
Wisconsin
I agree with this but this post has good information.

@Bryan Bowler
That's a great explanation that I missed in those comments.

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
I an confirm sightings of the elusive Verizon Wireless 5Guw "Yeti" for the first time in Delaware today along two separate parts of the Interstate highway. One up near the PA line, and one off the approach to the the DE Memorial Bridge. The area (Northern Delaware) I believe is part of the Philadelphia regional market.

5Guw wasn't live at my house when I left for work this morning (Philly 'Burbs) but I'm guessing this isn't like turning on a light switch, it takes time to filter down. Like the virus in "Independence Day"....

PS-3

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2021
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but the UW is throwing me off.
what iPhones work with this? My family all has the 12 models (12, mini, pro)

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal

you should educate yourself before pointing fingers ... here is a good starting point: #113

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but the UW is throwing me off.
what iPhones work with this? My family all has the 12 models (12, mini, pro)

All the 12 models support mm wave and C band. It's my understanding that VZW is not supporting MVNO's, so if you have one of those "runs on Verizon's network" services, you're probably not going to get it. You also have to be on the right plan with VZW.

It's a premium service right now, and probably in the foreseeable future.

Reactions: PS-3

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003

They've had less than two years since the March 2020 Report and Order assigning C-band to 5G. Not even "years" let alone "years and years".

Please link to the Japanese regulations on the 3.7-3.98GHz band around airports.

200MHz at 4GHz is not a "large guard band". The radar being used were designed when the only thing in these bands were transmissions from satellites. Now they need to contend with terrestrial broadcasts near runways.

The FAA, airlines, and manufacturers did test altimeters and have repeatedly said this will be a problem. T-Mobile disagreed. The FCC decided to listen to T-Mobile.

PS-3

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2021
All the 12 models support mm wave and C band. It's my understanding that VZW is not supporting MVNO's, so if you have one of those "runs on Verizon's network" services, you're probably not going to get it. You also have to be on the right plan with VZW.

It's a premium service right now, and probably in the foreseeable future.

well... my line has the most costly plan, my wife and kids... not so much haha. So i should be good
thanks so much!

Schtibbie

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2007
Drove all around Houston today for work related issues and not once did I get c-band. Oh well.

Same in Austin. Wondering if "select parts of these cities" they really mean they installed c-band on a couple towers in the middle of downtown and nowhere else. I really thought "select parts" would mean the city itself but not yet all the metro suburbs, etc. But i'm smack in the middle of the city (not downtown though) and have no c-band showing.

Reactions: blueeyes2die4

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009

While I agree its a real FAA mess, the issue IIRC was the 5G signal bleeding into teh a/c bands; in which case it would be the carrier's responsibility to fix.

That's what happens when you don't pay for Federal staff.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014

While I agree, for the most part, 5G is used differently in other countries and I think that is what caught the FAA off guard. Yes the FAA isn't the most reputable since it can be pressured by companies (Boeing's multiple scandals).

5G in other countries use less power (near airports, since planes being misguided is not a good thing), angled down, different frequencies, and safe zones. The telecom lobby and aviation lobby are going at it which is going to be interesting.

Lastly, numerous airlines have canceled flights to these airports. The Telecom industry should follow what has successfully been done in Europe and Asia or at least invest in research.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sir_Macs_A_Lot

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Verizon lit up 5G UW all over Phoenix, AZ today... getting a consistent 250-320 Mbps down and 10-13 up. Not bad... and it is even on my street and surprisingly getting a UW signal in my house too. I can't wait till Verizon offers the 5G home internet service at my address. I would ditch Cox cable internet for this at $50-70 per month if it stays unlimited.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.