Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

045322-att.jpg

AT&T has issued a brief statement indicating that it set a new single-day record for iPad sales and activations, but stopping short of providing any hard numbers.
On Friday, March 16, AT&T set a new single-day record for its iPad sales and activations, demonstrating robust demand for the new iPad on the nation's largest 4G network, covering nearly 250 million people.
The announcement comes after Apple also said it saw a "record weekend" for the new iPad, which launched on Friday, March 16th.

Neither company has released the exact number of sales or activations.

Article Link: AT&T Announces Single-Day Record for iPad Sales and Activations

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
I feel like AT&T got more business than Verizon again. I'm on VZW, but I get the propensity towards AT&T with this one.

Interesting to note that there were no hiccups with activations.

srxtr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
People needs to stop giving AT&T business so that AT&T can right their business model.

EDIT: Used the wrong term. Like soco corrected me below, I mean ethics, they need to right their ethics.

Last edited:

jazzkids

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2004
Providence, RI
Just in case anyone else is wondering... I have VZ iphone 4 and ATT ipad3, testing the speeds I get much better results from the ATT iPad. Of course it is 4G whereas the iPhone 4 is only 3G, but I also see a stronger signal overall from the ATT device.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
People needs to stop giving AT&T business so that AT&T can right their business model.
Their business model or their ethics? Or do you mean their treatment of customers who don't understand contracts?

Seems to me their business model is pretty damn successful...

AJH1993

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
Just in case anyone else is wondering... I have VZ iphone 4 and ATT ipad3, testing the speeds I get much better results from the ATT iPad. Of course it is 4G whereas the iPhone 4 is only 3G, but I also see a stronger signal overall from the ATT device.

HSPA+/HSPA is of course faster than EV-DO Rev. A.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
I'm sure it was just as good for Verizon. I'm a bit annoyed at it though; its unsubsidized, yet they charge full price. Subsequently I'm not in a rush to activate my LTE-not until I see a sale worth taking.

The reason this stuff won't benefit AT&T and Verizon as much as thought is the prices are just too high-even charging the extra $130 that Apple does is a lot of money. I suspect they'll subsidize iPads when Apple can better saturate the market in order to sell it. But the telecoms and Apple are just going for a heavy premium.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
I am on Verizon....don't have a new iPad yet though...but I'll say this: My boss brought his ATT version in this morning, and it was quite snappy! The network seemed very fast.

As others have mentioned though, until they come out with shared data plans I'm sticking to my smartphone and probably a wifi-only version when I do buy the iPad

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009

EDIT: Used the wrong term. Like soco corrected me below, I mean ethics, they need to right their ethics.

+1

I'm running down my contract until the next iPhone LTE then it's goodbye AT&T. I'm through with the lot of them.

Side note: I was thinking the other night about North America and whether the States and Canada are the few countries that support contracted agreements with carriers. I know in the E.U./U.K. it's GSM/SIM based and most buy minutes/monthly plans. Are we the only few who still require people fork over 2 years for a subsidized device?

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
hey AT&T, I don't give a damn about your sales figures, I want to hear about tethering to my iPad. Give us a damn option, even if you are going to make us pay for it, like we all know you will.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I am on Verizon....don't have a new iPad yet though...but I'll say this: My boss brought his ATT version in this morning, and it was quite snappy! The network seemed very fast.

As others have mentioned though, until they come out with shared data plans I'm sticking to my smartphone and probably a wifi-only version when I do buy the iPad

Agreed! If they had shared data plans, I would have gotten the Verizon iPad already.

For now, its wi-fi only iPads for me.

I just don't see the need to spend hundreds a month on internet in my house. $60 for 2 iPhones, $60 for 2 iPads, and $65 for Comcast internet for the Mac/Apple TV. That's $185 for internet.

The worst part is that you could go over your data on the iPad and not use up all your iPhone data, and still pay overages. You should just be able to pay $10-$15 per GB you use on any of your devices (with a minimum of 5GB per month) and get it over with.

rtrueman

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2009
Shared data plans and tethering

Completely agree with everyone else. AT&T... We need to know about shared data and tethering. I bought the AT&T version because I believe they have better coverage in my area. I'm giving them a week before returning this one and exchanging for a Verizon version if there are no tethering announcements by Friday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.