AT&T are strict about Unlimited

Discussion in 'iPad' started by steffi, Jan 1, 2011.

1. steffi macrumors 6502a

Had a billing issue with my unlimited plan and had to update credit card details. As soon as I had done that I no longer could select an Unlimited plan via Add Data. So AT&T is very strict about who can select Unlimited and on this occasion required manual intervention before they recognised that I'm elligible for Unlimited.

I asked them since iPad 2 is coming whether or not Unlimited follows the sim and the sim can work in another device. It's very likely the the sim won't be compatible with iPad 2 is my guess since AT&T wouldn't want to see iPad 1 customers sell their old iPad and continue to use Unlimited in iPad 2.

2. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I changed my credit card information and then a couple weeks later received a notification that I had used up my iPad Data Allowance. One phone call to AT&T and I was back on the Unlimited Plan to which I really (ab)use.

3. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I accurately predicted that AT&T would renege on their "Unlimited iPad data plan" almost the day it was announced. What surprises me is how easily that little backstabbing maneuver just died away. I really anticipated a lot more negative press for them than they got....at least a mention on someone's "Top 10 Most Evil Things" list for 2010.....

4. jdcell100 macrumors regular

I have unlimited plan from the begining never had a problem I just called them up and asked them if I upgraded my iPad can I still have unlimited plan they told me absolutely it follows the number they told me

5. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Honestly surprised they even put the unlimited plan out there at all, they certainly look a lot worse for putting it out there and yanking it back.

6. el-John-o macrumors 65816

I think as the network improves we'll see unlimited come back. It is a true statement that the vast (more than 90%) majority of their Customers don't notice the difference between 2GB and Unlimited. In this community we have power (ab)users, who suck it down like it's going out of style. The issue AT&T has with this, is their 3G infrastructure was built when 3G was in feature-phones and used to download ringtones faster and get better call quality. Smartphones were not popular, and certainly weren't as fast or data-demanding as they are now. NOW almost everyone has a smartphone, and 3G is expanding in more and more areas, and they are getting sucked dry! If you've ever been in a very populated area and tried to do anything, you know it's useless. The bandwidth is tapped out. It would only be worse if everyone had unlimited.

I sincerely hope (and, I do think it will happen) that these carriers can develop technologies that improve the available bandwidth and allow for us to have unlimited data, higher speeds, and when a lot of users are utilizing a single tower, there won't be as noticeable of a difference in speed. THEN we will see unlimited again. Nobody really pays for the extra GB if they run out, most people just restrict their usage to fit within the 2GB window. It's not a money-making scheme per se, it's really just maintaining the infrastructure and keeping speeds reasonable for all users.

-John

7. jdcell100 macrumors regular

8. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

+1

In fact keeping the plan in place is one of my major concerns for my inevitable iPad2 upgrade...

9. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Definitely! They used the dirtiest trick in their book. It was too good to be true. Luckily I was able to get it the last day they offered, and I'm not letting it go.

I believe that due to certain trade regulations, AT&T will have to grandfather Unlimited Plans to existing clients.
    A friend who works for AT&T confirmed that too.

10. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Most likely to happen :D
    This was also the case with dial-up, then DSL and Broadband.
    They started with limited plans, and years later all became only unlimited services by default (except for Comcast and their Fair Use Regulations, which imo seem fairly reasonable).

11. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

a sim card cant be blocked like that :rolleyes: any att sim will work in an att device. so an ipad 1 sim will work with ipad 2.

12. geko29 macrumors 6502

Sure they can. The SIMs in Amazon Kindles and B&N Nooks are AT&T SIMs that are locked to the device they come with. You can't take apart an e-reader and get unlimited data for your iPad or MiFi for free.

13. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

The idea that 2gb is enough with MORE apps coming out, MORE video coming out, etc....is so laughable that I am not even sure where to begin

If AT&T wants to stop people from viewing Netflix 24/7, I get that (no, I don't agree with it but I get them wanting to stop it)....but how in the hell does such a low cap accomplish that? This 2gb cap stops people like me from doing just NORMAL things that are in no way "heavy" and yet every month I come close to the 2gb cap. I use many news apps, stream VERY little music, multiple emails, several games (no online games), etc....

OMG! I streamed Pandora for 15 minutes last week! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

If AT&T really wants to stop true heavy users, the cap would have been 20gb or some high number that almost all regular users would not hit

14. steffi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Assuming it physically fits.

15. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I was around when dial-up was a pay-by-the-drink model, but we were already talking price points back then in the sub-$25/month range. And we were mostly sub-56K for speeds. Downloading a simple 3 minute video clip would take all day.

I think tiered pricing plans for capped 'unlimited' data plans are here to stay for wireless broadband, at least when we are talking shared streams for voice/data as we are with 3G and AT&T's network. CDMA may be able to better manage data services given that voice/data are bifurcated on their network. But why should they when the competition is getting away with low caps and high fixed monthly fees?

I pay the same monthly amount today for a terrestrial 25down/4up line at my office as I do for my iPhone unlimited data plan at much slower speeds. I do see wireless speeds going up, but if anything, I expect the pricing per month to increase right along with it. In fact, if you read between the lines of Verizon and AT&T's press releases and their earnings calls....this is exactly how they plan on paying for their network improvements; via higher fees for monthly data access to their customers.

16. Jkazmeyer macrumors regular

Exactly! I'm willing to bet, that if they brought unlimited back, but raised the price, many would have no problem. I just got sick of the game, so I just finally turned my unlimited 3G off. My iPad is always near my iPhone, & I'll just tether if there is no wifi. I was very unhappy about the sneaky move they pulled.... Oh don't worry, you don't have to sign a contract, but if you let your plan lapse, we just take away your access to it. Talk about bait & switch. I'm sure many of us bought our ipads with the intention of not turning on the data unless we needed it, a month at a time. When I first got mine on launch day, I didn't turn 3G on until they announced that if you didn't keep unlimited constant, you would lose access to the option. I know this has been discussed here before, but it's still frustrating.

17. el-John-o macrumors 65816

I remember having a 2GB Cap on my home broadband account! (Whopping 512kbps speeds too).

The flip side, though (and what I wish AT&T would do) was that if you went over they didn't charge you more, or shut you off, they just slowed you down considerably (I think they dropped us down to like 128kbps), I think dropping the speed of users going over 2GB for the remainder of the month would be a fair middle-ground compromise, as it would prevent network overload while still allowing a user to get use out of their device, even if they have a month where they use alot of data. But, as long as AT&T has tons of customers continuing to use their service, who cares? Complain all you want but your still signing the check each month, and that's AT&T's bottom line. We NEED competition, REAL competition, not some other companies with poorer overall reception (except, ironically, in the more populated areas, but for us Rural folks it's all we get, check the coverage maps it's astonishingly different and in AT&T's favor), or the same prices and limits, or all of these exclusing handset contracts that mean your stuck with whatever carrier outbid the others for your device.

It will happen though, eventually. Either the government will regulate and break them up like they did with terrestrial telephone service (because of the very illegal process of helping each other keep prices high and services low, a crime called price gouging, all it takes is some way to prove their doing it on purpose), OR one of these other companies will get up and say "Hey, sick of AT&T? Look at all of their negative press, when you could be getting unlimited data for $19.99 over here..."

It won't happen soon though, they are using our money to improve their infrastructure, JUST like terrestrial landlines (there was a time where you bought minutes for the landline too!) JUST like the internet, JUST like everything else, and when the infrastructure is built, the price and product wars will hit, and the consumer finally wins!

-John

18. TheyCallMeSaint macrumors regular

I like you. I like you a lot :D

19. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

I live in Colombia and have a nice unlimited plan for a decent price.

20. el-John-o macrumors 65816

haha thanks, I guess :cool:

21. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Kindles use Sprint...

22. fpnc macrumors 68000

When my credit card expiration date rolled over AT&T dropped my iPad's data plan because I hadn't updated my AT&T account to show the new date (thus, the auto payment failed, yes, it was my fault). I discovered this just a few minutes after midnight when the data plan expired and immediately went online to update my account. However, when I entered my account I found that there was no option to reinstate the unlimited data plan. Since I wasn't sure if I'd want the 2GB plan continuously on a month-to-month basis (maybe WiFi was good enough) I decided to wait on renewing my iPad's 3G data plan. Next day I went back online and found that the unlimited plan had been added back to my account options and I've had no problems since I renewed (i.e. I've still got the unlimited plan). I didn't need to call or contact AT&T so I'd have to say that I got pretty good service on my renewal (maybe I lucked out since the account lapse was only a few hours).

23. deadstockmarket macrumors regular

deadstockmarket

That really sucks. Does anyone know if the workaround with the iPhone 2G still works? I keep a 2G iPhone as my backup phone.

24. fo0bar macrumors member

Not for awhile now. "Kindle 2 International" with AT&T replaced Kindle 2, and Kindle 3 uses AT&T exclusively.

25. geko29, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

geko29 macrumors 6502

Welcome to two years ago, population: you. The Kindle 1 and the first run of Kindle 2 used Sprint. The latter half of Kindle 2s (called the Kindle 2 International Wireless) and all Kindle 3s use AT&T for 3G.

--Kindle owner since 2008.