Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

140820-att_iphone.jpg

Boy Genius Report claims that AT&T has instituted a block on all employee vacations for the month of June, signaling a possible iPhone release sometime during the month. In the past, such policies have been reliable indicators of iPhone launches.
Same story as last year and the year before, but we've confirmed with multiple AT&T sources that the carrier has now put a block on employees taking vacations in June. The only time AT&T does a straight block like this is for iPhone launches.
Apple has typically launched its new iPhone models in June of each year, although the iPhone 3G did not launch until July 11th, 2008, just inside the window predicted by AT&T's vacation block that year.

For the past two iPhone releases, Apple has introduced the new iPhone hardware at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) in San Francisco and launched sales of the new models 32 days (3G in 2008) and 11 days (3GS in 2009) later. Despite the fact that Apple has yet to announce dates for this year's WWDC, a number of hints and rumors have pointed to a late June timeframe for the event. Such scheduling would make for a short interval between the next-generation iPhone's presumed introduction at WWDC and its launch by the end of the month.

Article Link: AT&T Block on Employee Vacations for June Hints at iPhone Launch

harodude

macrumors regular
May 7, 2007
Can't Wait!

Even if it did come out on Verizon, I would stick with AT&T because the current 3G bandwidth is insane!

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Who cares!? Bring on the Verizon vacation block!

Any Verizon vacation block would involve making their employees taking the stock Verizon iPhones out of their boxes, erasing iTunes, adding Vcast, and putting them back in the boxes.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
When is Apple gonna announce WWDC ? I originally thought it was gonna be June 21st but now I see Moscone has a convention that ends June 20th. Not enough time for Apple to set up stuff.

Maybe June 28th ?

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
Not many rumors buzzing around on new features or design so far? I am sure they will update the phones again but wonder if it will be a small change like the 3Gs?

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Supposedly WWDC is at the very end of June and into July. If AT&T are truly blocking off vacation during June then one would suspect the announcement would come before WWDC. I wonder about the veracity of this rumor.

alexhasfun28

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2009
in the southwest.
See! I told you so, I told you so! Verizon isn't getting no iPhone any time soon. Let alone, they're still dying for it, what losers! It'd be a bad idea for them to carry it anyways. Bandwith would be to heavy, 3G will be slower than what it is now, and they'll make Apple look ugly! In my opinion.

Trojita

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2009
Please please... go ahead and flock to Verizon! Enjoy the limitations of EV-DO. I will enjoy the improvement of the AT&T network, when half of the iPhone users jump networks.

Enjoy it when AT&T can't afford to pay for their Cell Towers after everyone jumps ship.

I feel bad for any employee that was planning on going on vacation though.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
128 GIG iPod Touch, please. My 1st gen one is getting long in the teeth and low on space.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Any Verizon vacation block would involve making their employees taking the stock Verizon iPhones out of their boxes, erasing iTunes, adding Vcast, and putting them back in the boxes.

Smartphones are pretty much untouched on Verizon, but nice try.

Rychy

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
I just think it's awesome where some of these tips come from... totally makes sense. And yeah I know this happened in the past years.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Poor guys cannot go on holiday in June and almost everybody voted positive?! That's just mean!

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
I can't wait to upgrade my 3G. It is on its last leg (well not really). Vibrate button malfunctions, pretty much unusable, and it is close to being completely out of space. Give me 64GB! :D

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Enjoy it when AT&T can't afford to pay for their Cell Towers after everyone jumps ship.

I feel bad for any employee that was planning on going on vacation though.

That is a bit ridiculous. AT&T has plenty of non-iPhone customers. You go ahead and enjoy being in the middle of an MMS, then the data transfer has to stop because you get a call... that is if you get the call... because I have seen EV-DO phones choose data over voice at times... so then, when your iPhone is polling the server for e-mail, your calls could go straight to voicemail instead. Push notifications are data too. Enjoy missing that outbid notice from the Ebay app because grandma decided to call you at that moment.

Art Mark

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
Oregon
Yes...YES, yes...

I'm still with the original iPhone and I am very much ready to part with some dollars for the new hardware. Very excited. But the iPad is at least keeping me busy in the meantime.
I can't wait to upgrade my 3G. It is on its last leg (well not really). Vibrate button malfunctions, pretty much unusable, and it is close to being completely out of space. Give me 64GB! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.