Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AT&T today announced the launch of upgraded AT&T Fiber plans, which support speeds of up to 5 Gigabits for some customers. There are two separate plans, one "2 GIG" plan and one "5 GIG" plan, available to new and existing AT&T Fiber subscribers.

att-gigabit-internet.jpg

According to AT&T, the new plans are available to nearly 5.2 million customers across 70 metro areas including Los Angeles, Atlanta, Chicago, San Francisco, San Diego, Los Angeles, Raleigh, Miami, and Dallas, with a full list available on AT&T's website.

AT&T Fiber 2 GIG is priced at $110 per month plus taxes, while the highest-speed AT&T Fiber 5 GIG plan is priced at $180 per month plus taxes.

AT&T is enacting a new "straightforward pricing" policy, which means there are no data limits, no equipment fees, no annual contract, and no "deals" that will see prices increase at 12 months. These high-end plans include AT&T ActiveArmor internet security, "next-gen WiFi support," and HBO Max access.

With the launch of these new multi-gigabit internet plans, AT&T is calling itself the "fastest major internet provider." AT&T intends to continue to expand its faster connection speeds to additional customers, with plans to cover 30 million customer locations by the end of 2025.

Article Link: AT&T Bringing $180/Month 5-Gigabit Internet to 70 Cities

antnythr

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2020
Edit: Ignore my post, I was thinking about my cell plan

I haven't actually checked, but I have my doubts about "no data limits".

Where I live I have an "Unlimited" plan, which all the providers offer. It's "unlimited", but after [x]GB, they throttle you down to 512kbps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Superdrive

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I have AT&T's 300 Mbps fiber, downgraded after trying 1 Gbps for a couple of months. My family of couldn't stress the network to a point where we would benefit from 1 Gbps.

That isn't to say others wouldn't benefit, but before spending more money, one should understand what their true needs are. If everyone is on Wi-Fi, you probably can't get much faster than 700 Mbps even with the best Wi-Fi router.

Jupeman

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
What's the point of these? No WiFi can transport this kind of data. And who needs this for workstation-at-home work?
I generally agree with your point that this is bandwidth very few homes will need, but I do take exception to the wifi comment. I have 25 wired devices in my house, they're the ones I want really good connectivity for. I have an additional 56 wireless devices online at the moment. In my house. It would be nice to have bandwidth. But like many, I had gig service and actually downgraded because I simply wasn't saturating it. It is unlikely anyone will need 2 or 5, but I am thrilled it is coming as it will ultimately make everything better.

Last edited:

ohaishawnn

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2011
Austin, Texas
I haven't actually checked, but I have my doubts about "no data limits".

Where I live I have an "Unlimited" plan, which all the providers offer. It's "unlimited", but after [x]GB, they throttle you down to 512kbps.
You're thinking of cellular plans. This is home internet service, which isn't slowed down to 512kbps. That would be ridiculous haha.

zorinlynx

macrumors 604
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
What's the point of these? No WiFi can transport this kind of data. And who needs this for workstation-at-home work?
2.5Gbps, 5Gbps and 10Gbps ethernet are a thing and rapidly coming down in price.

That said, 99% of people won't see any benefit from a connection over 1Gbps. It's still good that they're offering this, though. It shows they have network capacity to spare.

danielsutton

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2011

AT&T today announced the launch of upgraded AT&T Fiber plans, which support speeds of up to 5 Gigabits for some customers. There are two separate plans, one "2 GIG" plan and one "5 GIG" plan, available to new and existing AT&T Fiber subscribers.

att-gigabit-internet.jpg

According to AT&T, the new plans are available to nearly 5.2 million customers across 70 metro areas including Los Angeles, Atlanta, Chicago, San Francisco, San Diego, Los Angeles, Raleigh, Miami, and Dallas, with a full list available on AT&T's website.

AT&T Fiber 2 GIG is priced at $110 per month plus taxes, while the highest-speed AT&T Fiber 5 GIG plan is priced at $180 per month plus taxes.

AT&T is enacting a new "straightforward pricing" policy, which means there are no data limits, no equipment fees, no annual contract, and no "deals" that will see prices increase at 12 months. These high-end plans include AT&T ActiveArmor internet security, "next-gen WiFi support," and HBO Max access.

With the launch of these new multi-gigabit internet plans, AT&T is calling itself the "fastest major internet provider." AT&T intends to continue to expand its faster connection speeds to additional customers, with plans to cover 30 million customer locations by the end of 2025.

Article Link: AT&T Bringing $180/Month 5-Gigabit Internet to 70 Cities
I hope the other fiber providers increase their speeds too. I am sure that Optimum and Verizon, among many, are taking note of this.

Reactions: n0va and Huck

LoveTo

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2021
My only concern is, how do you find those 100 gb files to download everyday for home networks? All streaming services are highly optimized. You’d have no issues even at 100 mbps or lower. May be gamers need this? Or small businesses??

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I generally agree with your point that this is bandwidth very few homes will need, but I do take exception to the wifi comment. I have 25 wired devices in my house, their the ones I want really good connectivity for. I have an additional 56 wireless devices online at the moment. In my house. It would be nice to have bandwidth. But like many, I had gig service and actually downgraded because I simply wasn't saturating it. It is unlikely anyone will need 2 or 5, but I am thrilled it is coming as it will ultimately make everything better.
56 Wi-Fi devices would saturate most Wi-Fi routers, not at the bandwidth level but at the latency level. For this reason, I try to avoid Wi-Fi smart home devices when alternatives exist (e.g., bridge-based solutions).

Reactions: Realityck

Ph4r

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2022
Just another something to make us Xfinity-Only municipalities extremely jealous. Those I know with AT&T Fiber offerings today have synchronous service. Xfinity is really restrictive with their upload, and it barely goes up with higher service tiers not to mention the data cap, trapped pricing, etc we are subject to. Everytime I assemble a video or livestream I'm reminded of how slow my upload is, and as cord-cutters and gamers (HUGE Updates) we bump into the data cap most months.

Octavius8

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2016
For a family of 4 or 6, does it make sense?. What do you do to justify such bandwidth at home?. Is it symmetrical? So the video conferences can be streamed in glorious 720 from my Mac camera?.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Horray for competition! AT&T installing fiber in my neighborhood in Orkando this week. Finally a real alternative to Spectrum. More choices will hopefully translate into better value for consumers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.