AT&T can charge me for using jailbroken iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shanesan, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Shanesan macrumors 6502

Shanesan

I have a jailbroken iPhone. I don't have or want a data plan. I use Wifi solely.

I just got a text message from AT&T.

It reads...

"AT&T Free Msg: We need your help regarding your iPhone account. Your iPhone does not currently have the necessary data plan required for all iPhones. Please call us by Sept. 14. Just dial 611. We appreciate your business."

So they know. Now what?

EDIT: Screenshot or it didn't happen:
    [​IMG]

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Um, no, they don't. That's just a text telling your current plan (ei data or voice) is not correct for your iPhone.

What do you currently pay for?

3. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

They don't know your phone is jailbroken, more than likely they know you were trying to do an MMS workaround by switching your plans (if that's in fact what you were doing).

4. Shanesan thread starter macrumors 6502

Shanesan

If you're not paying for their unlimited data plan and you have an iPhone, your iPhone is jailbroken. There's no way around that. And an MMS workaround? Not sure what you're getting at?

Don't pay for data, but pay for everything else in large monetary values. I was getting at the point that they know you have an iPhone, jailbroken or not, and if it's jailbroken, AT&T will eventually find you and get you to pay for the plan if you are not.

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

just fyi

I took a jailbroken phone into AT&T the rep looked at it for a few seconds mentioned how cool it looked and handed me a new Sim card that I asked for. as long as you are with them I don't think JB is a big deal to AT&T at least not at a store. then again in most store they know little to nothing.

6. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Why would AT&T care if your phone is jailbroken?

All they care about is that you are paying the correct amount of money per month and not misusing their services.

They don't care if you are running extra apps on your phone.

7. elfenlied102938 macrumors newbie

I got the same message this morning. I've been using my 1st gen iPhone since Ocboter 2007. I hope they don't shut us jailbreakers down. I'll wait till Sept 14 and see if they take action. :confused:

8. Shanesan thread starter macrumors 6502

Shanesan

They'd care if you're not paying for their extravagant data plan, obviously. I use Wifi. I don't need or want their silly data plan. But they want me to have it, indeed.

You too?! I'm glad I'm not alone!!

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

The only thing they know (and care about) is if you're not paying for the right iPhone data plan.

There are hundreds of thousands of jailbroken iPhones on AT&T, but the only people that AT&T is txting are the ones on the wrong plans. So it's not like jailbreaking is what they care about.

I think everyone gets what you're saying, ... you're just saying it sort of weird.

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

There you have it. AT&T has detected your iPhone and that you have no data plan on it. So now they will charge you for one.

11. richardhunt macrumors regular

If your iphone is a 1st gen phone, the data plan is not mandatory. This has only been the case for the 3G and 3Gs phones.

12. Shanesan thread starter macrumors 6502

Shanesan

13. xsecretfiles macrumors 6502

You should all specify in this thread, from what I gather you are all saying that AT&T knows that you DON'T have a data plan.

Guys, there is a work around that, no need to jailbreak. head over to the fake carrier over site, that's it

I have a jailbroken phone on a media net plan, unlimited and haven't received a single text/email/phone call whatever

14. danny_w macrumors 601

Yes, the data plan has been mandatory on all 1st gen iPhones since the 3G came out. Since it is a change to the TOS you can probably cancel service, but if you have AT&T service they have you. There used to be an option to delete the data plan on their own website, but it disappeared about the time that the 3G came out.

15. bigdaddyp macrumors regular

I ran into a problem a while back with my 1st generation jailbroke phone on Att. When Apple added the mobile me integration on the iphone the service would use cell data even though I had that option turned off. I received a $400 phone bill because I used 5 or 10 megabits of data. :eek: Att waived the $400 but now I am stuck with the data plan. They will get you one way or another. My best guess is that if you are in a contract with them they will force you to add that data plan. If not I bet they will eventually suspend your service. I do wish you the best of luck and please let us know how this turns out.

16. HighLife420 macrumors 6502a

wow, the proof that they know =)

now, whats going to happen after Sept 14?

17. amardeep macrumors newbie

I got this same message today too, and I've been using a non-jailbroken 3G on a regular AT&T family plan without a data plan since oct 08. The issue isnt that its jailbroken, it's that you're not paying them for the data plan. I talked to a couple AT&T customer service reps and they said come Sept. 14th, they're gonna automatically tack on the $30 data plan to your current plan. I'm trying to get around this by changing what device is listed under my phone number on the att website (right now it shows the iPhone, i tried changing it to a bb curve or a razr) but the device automatically resets to the iPhone after a few minutes.
    No idea how to get around this now....

18. richardhunt macrumors regular

If that's the case, then my wife's 2g phone will be re-assigned to be an ipod touch with a mic then. She has no need for the data plan, so off goes the iphone from AT&T and back to a regular cel phone.

19. strike1555 macrumors 6502

Interesting, i've heard of people getting txt about data plans before but never a deadline. So far nothing on my end.

20. sgarcia961 macrumors newbie

Jailbroke and unlocked

well all, i'm new here but here is my take. I have 4 phones on my AT&T plan and have no contract. two of the 4 phones are 1st generation iPhones JAILBROKE AND UNLOCKED I will NOT pay for data. If they try I will simply run my happy ass down to T-Mobile get my free phones and no data plan.
    I think you all get the jist of it!

If your not using data why should you pay for it.

who does AT&T think they are?

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Just ignore it if you dont want a data plan.
    Thats what everyone else is doing.
    They will not force a service onto you that you dont want.

22. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

The misinformation in this thread is hilarious.

I've been using my 3GS without a data plan for weeks without a hitch. I am not unlocked. I am not jailbroken.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    Its crazy how clueless some people are and they post like they know what they're talking about.
    Theres a similar thread here with the same false information posted: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=758709

24. danny_w macrumors 601

Yes, but AT&T never gave a deadline before either.

25. HighLife420 macrumors 6502a

i dunno how true this is or not....its a rumor, but...

after sept 14, they going to start charging for the plan without your consent..

again, i dunno if its true or not....