Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xxmrcxx

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2011
I am going to strongly consider switching if ATT keeps pulling these ridiculous moves, and if Sprint can match the price I am paying ATT ($70 after employer discount).

I am on Sprint right now (individual plan) with the iPhone 4S. I live in MN so I know that some of the taxes will be a little different, but I pay $88 a month after taxes and without a discount. I work for a state university so I get 18% off, so that brings my total to $74 a month. Just letting you know basic pricing.

anonnymouse

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
If I wasn't on the ANR plan, I'd leave.

I like how Personal Hotspot is included for free on VZ with any data plan, but I do like my simultaneous voice and data on GSM too. With an LTE iPhone, presumably that won't be a problem on CDMA any more.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Other than the fact that I'm on a family plan I still wouldn't switch carriers. Compared to my friends on Verizon and Sprint I have the best coverage and the fastest speeds. AT&T's coverage and speeds is purely based on location be ause like I said, where I am it is the best option. Also, every time I go out of state or somewhere I still have great reception even out in the country.

Really, when I went out in the country this weekend my crap AT&T service went to Edge. My Verizon was 3G. Verizon has always had better service in the country except for some hilly/mountainous areas of CO and Ca where Verizon's frequencies have a hard time traversing hilly terrain.

khovland92

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2012
Connecticut
I'm very seriously considering switching to Verizon over this. Their LTE market is way more impressive, and while sometimes they pull the same stunts as AT&T, they aren't THIS bad.

The fact that this is even being considered is outrageous.

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
So.. If this was a car? I can see it now.

• Unlocking the garage door fee
  • Unlocking the driver's door fee
  • Ignition fee
  • Steering wheel fee
  • Exhaust pipe fee
Yes, we know it's in your garage and everything. But who's going to stop us?

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
FaceTime is useless because it's wifi only. With cellular access I can think of lots of ways I would use it. Also, as more and more devices get it, it's become more and more relevant. Finally, it's the principal of the matter. If I know that AT&T is willing to disable features on my phone to fatten their bottom lines, what could be next? I am not going to sign another 2 year contract with such a sleazy company. Next they'll charge extra for Facebook and Twitter.

Um, and if AT&T starts charging for things they didn't before that I do use a lot, then I'll think about changing. Cause you know what? I'll either have a contract I signed that I'm happy with and they won't be changing until the contract is over. Or they break the contract and I can leave without penalty charges. So, it's not hard to just wait until they start doing something that affects you.

And as I said, for myself, I'm poor and it's just a lot more practical/cheap to stay with AT&T. It would cost me 30 dollars more to go to Verizon, even without Facetime. FT isn't worth that much more (and I'd get less data to boot. Far less than I use in a month).

sziehr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
what kills me is that this is going to come out as some sort of service so you can use it all you want and not count against your data. I can now see why they are all so against net neutrality it would prevent just this sort of thing. I think the whole system is a scam and sadly the only sane folks in the wireless game have some of the worst customer service and the weakest network but they are at least up front about it aka sprint. Verizon and ATT are a duopoly they corner over 30% of the market share per company I just wished at we would reconize this and regulate there actions like we do the rest of the worlds monopolys we live with every day. The thing is they say oh well when customers leave or when sales go down the issue is that there is no where elese to go for many people. The majors chop up the US as they see fit i come from a town where it is rulled by verizon you can not get ATT service the reason verzion owns the market over 90% so why spend money to get into a market etc etc the same happens in ATT areas. This creats lock-ins that make them micro monoploys the QOS is not the same for each carier in each market and they use it against us. If i could go from verizon to ATT to spring and get about the same service we would see prices drop and choice increase, sadly this is never going to happen here the laws are bought and paid for by ATT and Verizon lobbiest

euphemus

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2012
"I've heard the same rumor"

What vile little PR cretin came up with that line? Slippery little c**ksmoker.

Sardonick007

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
See here

YES BOB, it's too early to talk about pricing because we are going to be like Verizon and get every hooked on impending tech until they love it, live it, and can't live without it, and THEN, badaboom, we're going to swoop down and drive this big giant stick of success up their collective sd slots and make them pay for even looking at our logo. So no, we're not charging for facetime, until we start charging for it.

mikefla

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
The truth is their POS network can't handle it. They need to make a serious investment in their network now that they won't be merging with T-Mobile. So they will be charging absurds amount of money for this service. In the mean time i'm sure their top execs are doing very well for themselves.

-Mike

TUD

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
FYI, AT&T I am over your cat & mouse game! I only left Verizon for the iPhone & now that they have it I AM DONE! I am taking my 13X.XX a month somewhere else. Buh... Bye!

Edit: BTW, As a former AT&T employee that had a free corp demo phone, I had a personal Verizon phone for a reason.

I'm sure he "regrets" this rumor making it out before all the existing AT&T customers get the iPhone 5 and are locked into AT&T again. He "regrets" we now know early and can make sure we make the switch this time.

I will "regret" losing my unlimited plan... maybe.. nope.

Agree...

Last edited:

Aodhan

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
This actually will be the last straw for me. If they do charge for this, I will jump ship. I sure won't miss that one and only 20.00/mo texting service. Nhave nearly a year left, but then I'm off to Verizon.

mrbyu

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
That's all because the carriers are frightened from the fact, that soon nobody's gonna use their old, legacy GSM technologies... And they are right, the future is in the internet, it was foreseen. I have 130 contacts right now on my iPhone, 43 of them has Viber... Actually, I hardly send any SMS anymore to anybody. SMS is an expensive, restricted, preposterous thing in 2012...

Even the quality difference between GSM calls and VOIP calls is remarkable, after a Viber/Skype call switching back to GSM is like putting earplugs in your ears...

I'm happy that here in Hungary the carriers (T-Mobile, Vodafone, etc.) are not bitching with us like AT&T in the USA.

bjones521

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2009
GUYS.....This FACETIME WONT be free. With Sprint, ATT and Verizon you need to have the wifi hot spot plan to use Facetime. Like for sprint its 19.99 for 2gb of mobile hotspot.

Waaayyy to many people have iPhones and these companies will find another way to make money!!

Last edited:

HavocLink

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2012
I don't understand. We pay for data, factime uses data. Why would they charge extra for the same thing? Where is the logic in that?

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
If anything, I think it's better to have a slower up/downlink like 1 or 2Mbps with no cap, no tethering BS, no overages fee and all that craps.
Just pure unlimited data plan for whatever purpose customer need it for.

What good is a super speedy 20Mbps LTE connection when you can eat up 1GB monthly cap in 10 minutes before get throttled or applied to overage fee? Is this some kind of tech demo? :rolleyes: .. People shouldn't pay a dime for demo.

I'd rather have a scooter with unlimited fuel than ride a Ducati 1198 with only 1 gallon of fuel allowance. In the end of the day that scooter run miles and miles further.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.