Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AT&T today announced that it has reached an agreement with existing partners Alcatel-Lucent and Ericsson to provide equipment for the carrier's next-generation LTE (4G) cellular network, opening the door to significant improvements in data speeds and performance. The company also confirmed that it is continuing to plan for field trials of LTE technology later this year and a full rollout beginning next year.
The selection of the two suppliers paves the way for AT&T's planned field trials of LTE technology later this year, with commercial deployment scheduled to begin in 2011. AT&T's LTE rollout schedule aligns with industry expectations for development of LTE technology and widespread availability of equipment and compatible LTE mobile devices. The supplier agreements also complement AT&T's plans to make the nation’s fastest 3G network even faster in advance of LTE networks and devices scaling, allowing the company to continue delivering the most advanced mobile broadband experience in the nation.
Last month, the company announced that it had completed software updates on its cell sites to allow the provider to double data speeds on compatible devices (including the iPhone 3GS) as upgraded backhaul connections can be made. Those backhaul upgrades are also setting the stage for AT&T's 4G deployment, with the carrier planning to offer seamless compatibility between 3G and 4G networks as next-generation handsets become available and 4G coverage expands over time in 2011 and beyond.

AT&T currently serves as the exclusive service provider for Apple's iPhone in the United States. Despite the expiration of many of Apple's original exclusivity contracts for iPhone service around the world, other U.S. carriers have yet to announce future iPhone availability on their networks. And while many have expected that AT&T's exclusivity arrangement will expire this summer after three years, a growing chorus of analysts have been suggesting in recent days that Apple's renewed partnership with AT&T for 3G service for the iPad may be indicative of a stronger relationship between the two companies than previously thought, with some speculation placing continued iPhone exclusivity for AT&T into 2011.

Article Link: AT&T Continuing to Move Forward on Plans for 4G Cellular Network

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
I'm not familiar with exactly how this is handled, so . . . will this improve voice calls? Yesterday I had a 90% FAILURE rate, from home and work, where normally things run fine. Ridiculous.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
I'm sure there are some here who would rather that AT&T make their 3G network work first before embarking on 4G/LTE. Maybe I'm the exception, but as someone who came to AT&T this summer when I got my 3GS, I find it no worse and no better than my old T-Mobile account. I haven't seen any real speed improvements since AT&T's summer software update, though.

All-in-all, I'll keep the phone for another 18ish months until the summer of 2011 when my 2 year contract will be up and I'll upgrade to the latest iPhone which should be 4G enabled.

DanielSw

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
Clearwater, FL
It seems to me that the main reason Apple and AT&T partnered exclusively was to be able to work with each other in developing the new iPhone/iPod Touch platform. And they've done and are continuing to do that.

Now with the iPad, there are that many more reasons to continue this cooperation through its development.

No one could have fully predicted the staggering success of iPhone OS devices, and now is not the time to end successful associations simply to placate a few howling factions.

Now is the time to work together even better, as the impact of the iPad may prove to be even more prodigious than what preceded it.

Breckenridge

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2006
Telluride, Colorado
It would be nice to have really fast wireless access to replace my questionable 3g usb adapter which usually is never fast enough to do any screen sharing, voice or video conferencing.

Yonizzle

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2005
Durham, NC
So wait a minute: were the "exclusivity ending in 2010" rumors that started springing up recently actually any more reliably-sourced than the "5-year contract" sources that were all over the place in early 2007?

MaSx

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2010
They haven't even completed the rollout of 3G, and now they are moving on to 4G?

That was my thought exactly. I guess, they're trying to get 4G right as 3G has been a loss. I highly doubt it will be any different, possibly worse.

ghostface147

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2008
This is all fine and great, but I want to know how LTE will improve their reliability. We all know wireless spectrum is finite, so what happens when it runs out as more and more people get data intensive phones?

calsci

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
Sounds great but they need to complete their 3G upgrades across the country. Heck even in some areas there is not even edge service.

iRATs

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2008
Yawn

:rolleyes: Is anyone still listening to AT&Ts "plans"?

Just SHOW ME.

Just read the top story in Businessweek. AT&T's iProblem

They are too big to succeed.

When Verizon, When?

appleseed76

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2010
I'm sure there are some here who would rather that AT&T make their 3G network work first before embarking on 4G/LTE. Maybe I'm the exception, but as someone who came to AT&T this summer when I got my 3GS, I find it no worse and no better than my old T-Mobile account. I haven't seen any real speed improvements since AT&T's summer software update, though.

All-in-all, I'll keep the phone for another 18ish months until the summer of 2011 when my 2 year contract will be up and I'll upgrade to the latest iPhone which should be 4G enabled.

if you read the entire article it says this toward the bottom, "The supplier agreements also complement AT&T's plans to make the nation's fastest 3G network even faster in advance of LTE networks and devices scaling, allowing the company to continue delivering the most advanced mobile broadband experience in the nation."

Personally I'll believe this and anything else coming out of AT&T's mouth when I notice the difference on my phone and or future iPad. Our data networks are so far behind many other countries' networks it isn't even funny. Of course our country is vast and building these networks takes time, but what ever happened to American ingenuity? I agree with FSJ on this one. I think many of our American companies only think about one thing, the bottom line, and as long as the higher ups are getting theres and everyone's paying regardless there's absolutely no incentive to improve services in a timely manner.

All we can do as consumers is not buy the product. If you want the iPad, but hate AT&T's 3G network just buy the Wi-Fi enabled version. You can use Skype to make your calls. This will send AT&T a message about how crappy their service is, like they don't know already, or even care for that matter. Hit them where it hurts, in the pocketbook!!!

Same thing goes for Apple. If you're not satisfied with the iPad as it is, at least give Apple the benefit of the doubt and try it out in an Apple Store. If you still don't like it, or think it's too limited for what you want to do then please don't buy it. Otherwise you're sending a signal to companies that's saying it's ok to limit future products, because I'll be there regardless with my credit card in hand.

BE A SMART CONSUMER. BUY WHAT'S RIGHT FOR YOU, NOT WHAT'S RIGHT FOR A COMPANY TO MAKE PROFIT.

CupertinoBob

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
because it makes perfect sense to upgrade the old parts of the network to obsolete tech only to upgrade them again later
I say AT&T should roll out 4G in the cities first. You gotta fish where the fish are. Leave the boondocks to Verizon.

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
And yet we're stuck on EDGE in my area! This kind of news is actually upsetting to me. Other parts of the country going to 4G and I'm stuck with very slow internet for my iPhone. And I'm stuck with first gen. iPhone too as it makes no sense to get new phone and have a higher data plan I can't take advantage on. BS.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Here is to hoping that the dual-chip modules (ie. AT&T + Verizon) make their way into the next "A+" iPhone revision!
No, it's too late for that. What you should be hoping for is that the Verizon execs pull their heads out of their arses and implement a 3G+ network that is upgradable to LTE like what Telus/Bell did in Canada when they started to transition away from CDMA this past November. Bell and Telus now have the iPhone on that new network and they are way ahead of Verizon for going to LTE because that new network can be upgraded to LTE whereas a CDMA network cannot.

Stop it with the Verizon love fest. Verizon is run by idiots who only think in the short term (CDMA network profit).

@iRATs: As soon as Verizon changes their executive for someone with some brains who realize that CDMA is a dead end and that people are not willing to wait for LTE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.