Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MasterDev

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
I have a family plan with 2 iPhones and I don't have MMS yet.

Well it will not work for most people off the bat, but if you update your carrier settings via that guide, it should work just fine with the family unlimited msg plan.

jbennardo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Thanks but I'd rather wait for the official way.:)

Yeah, June or July and I may give it a shot, but it's so close now I'll just wait. :p

Still, I have to wonder... how many will I actually send? I've probably only used copy/paste like 10 times and we whined about that too.

MasterDev

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
I haven't.. been trying to figure out whether this was user-enabled or something that just randomly started rolling out over their customer base.

I guess it's been more of it randomly happening. But it's also working using that one guide.

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
I have unlimited family text messaging and have not used the "hack" and the phone has not been JB'ed. I haven't received the MMS.

Does it suddenly come up (the picture icon on SMS) or should I expect some sort notice from AT&T or software update?

MasterDev

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
I have unlimited family text messaging and have not used the "hack" and the phone has not been JB'ed. I haven't received the MMS.

Does it suddenly come up (the picture icon on SMS) or should I expect some sort notice from AT&T or software update?

Just wait until the 25th, by then they will send you a message via E-mail & Text. Or if you go into iTunes, on the next update day, it will ask you update your carrier settings. Or you can just press update on screen. Also, remember that you will have to turn on MMS via Messaging panel in your iPhone.

Although this, "Hack" isn't really a hack and doesn't require a Jailbroken phone. It's just an updated Carrier Setting.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
If you are on a family plan with the unlimited messaging plan, it will automatically do it. But I'm not sure about individual plans.

*EDIT* Also, it pops up on the edit rate plan area. And if you go to your local AT&T store, you may be able to get someone cool enough to remove the opt out. The customer service people on the phone will not do it, but certain people in store are nicer.

I've also had the complete opposite experience. The employees in store are some of the biggest *******s I've dealt with but the phone support is great.

Mind you, I don't have any hatred for at&t.

MasterDev

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
I've also had the complete opposite experience. The employees in store are some of the biggest *******s I've dealt with but the phone support is great.

Mind you, I don't have any hatred for at&t.

I know what you mean. I have had some ****heads of people I've met in my old hometown in California, but out here in Indianapolis, everyone is super cool. It also could be because I have a big business account with them as well.

And yes phone support people are cool, but always go by standards.

jsquared

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
Nashvegas, TN
I must be an idiot. Running Windows XP 32 bit and everytime I put C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunes.exe" /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1 in the cmd prompt i get an error.

What am I missing here?

ashad0509

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2009
I must be an idiot. Running Windows XP 32 bit and everytime I put C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunes.exe" /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1 in the cmd prompt i get an error.

What am I missing here?

You are following the 64 bit section.... run this for 32 bit

C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe" /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1

s4mb4

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2009
neat. soon, no more of that stupid URL crap when my kids send me a pic or a movie....

mikebenton

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2009
Curious....

I'm wondering if activation is more of a regional occurrence than a feature spec. Where is MMS reported as active?

jbennardo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
I'm wondering if activation is more of a regional occurrence than a feature spec. Where is MMS reported as active?

See, that's what I'm trying to figure out. The story makes it sound like AT&T enables MMS out of the blue - but from what I'm reading here, it's more like people are installing the carrier file to get it working.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

if i had to guess, it would be by billing date or when your billing cycle ends. this way you are sure to spread it around the coverage area instead of doing it all at once.

AT&T is probably afraid of everyone MMS'ing all at once on the 25th just to crash their network

jbennardo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
if i had to guess, it would be by billing date or when your billing cycle ends. this way you are sure to spread it around the coverage area instead of doing it all at once.

AT&T is probably afraid of everyone MMS'ing all at once on the 25th just to crash their network

I need a video visit from Seth the blogger guy to calm me down... he'll set things straight. :rolleyes:

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
See, that's what I'm trying to figure out. The story makes it sound like AT&T enables MMS out of the blue - but from what I'm reading here, it's more like people are installing the carrier file to get it working.

Installing the carrier file doesn't magically make MMS work. It's at&t slowly removing the opt-out.

I'm not sure about how it's being done but they are definitely afraid of the iPhone MMS feature taking down the network.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Well I just followed the instructions on the front page (Krillr) and it seems to work fine! I'm on an iPhone 3G running 3.1. I am on a family plan with unlimited texting if that makes a difference. I didn't have to go into General Settings and change anything. It just worked, I'm in central New Jersey.

The downloaded carrier setting file says 5.1 on the iPhone (funny how when I did a "Show Package Contents" and viewed the IPCC plist it said version 5.0).

I sent a photo to my girlfriend on Verizon and she received it just fine. She replied with a photo and I saw it fine also. I sent it to my brother who didn't have MMS turned on and he didn't receive anything. Sending the MMS just took a few seconds longer then a regular SMS message, but it seems to work.

Yay! :) :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.