AT&T doubles network speed in New Brunswick NJ

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dread, Jan 29, 2010.

1. dread macrumors 6502a

Just tried the speed test on Rutgers Campus in NJ and noticed that my speeds are almost double what they had been on 3g. I used to get 1800kbs max now I'm above 3000 kbs everytime. Looks like the new 7.2 network is finally going online. Of course here is the proof. I showed the test in progress so you know its on 3g and not wifi.
    [​IMG]

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Holy crap I want that! I get 2.4Mb/s max... also, make it larger?

3. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Really nice!

I've done my fair share of AT&T bashing over the last 2 years and they have deserved it.

But I have noticed strong improvements recently. I've gone from 3 dropped calls a day to 3 per week. I'm getting faster download times everywhere. My phone actually works in my basement at work unlike before.

So you know, I'm willing to see where this goes. It's not perfect, but if 2010 sees as much improvement as 2009 did then I'm betting their future will be fine.

Also, Apple mentioned that they were "working with" AT&T and are "confident" in their upgrade plans for the future. You know what that means...Steve did a lot of *@@ kicking over there, I bet.

I suspect that they have an ACTUAL upgrade plan now which is why the iPad is on AT&T. Apple must believe they're going to improve for that to have happened.

5. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

At&t is actually better than verizon in the areas I have been in NJ. My parents have verizon and everytime they call me from their cell phones they drop the call. Plus there is no way evdo is going to get download speeds like that. I wonder how long it will take at&t to improve their image even after the network is up to par. Even if the iphone did go to verizon I would still stick with at&t.

Is anyone else seeing these speeds in their markets?

6. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I've noticed on campus at George Mason in the D.C. area that the 3G network has gone from hopeless (last semester) to reliable and fast (this semester). I'm as surprised as anyone.

Keep it up, guys.

7. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Wow haven't tested in a while and I just got 2.9~3.7 down in Arlington VA

[​IMG]

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Oh God!!! DO WANT!!!

Attached Files:

9. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Yeah in south NY mine is faster now too, but I noticed with the latest speed test app, you can't change the server to any east coast servers while on 3G, I wonder why

Isn't the max upload speed the iPhone can support only 360kbps? I'm getting 359

10. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

My 3G is still laughably slow in Fort Worth (which is less than 40 miles from AT&T's headquarters in Dallas). These were taken from inside my house and on my front porch.

Attached Files:

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Wow, that sucks...

12. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Indeed it does. And for those that don't know, where I live isn't huge, but it's not small, either. Fort Worth's population is between 700-750k, making it the 17th-largest city in the nation.

13. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

This is what I got just now
    it varies quite a bit though. I live in NH so that probably has something to do with it too since Verizon is the most used cell service here

Attached Files:

14. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

I upload 18,000kbs on wifi at work, so the iphone is capable of at least that.

So it looks like AT&T is really starting to roll out the new network. My computer flies while tethered now.

15. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Nice of them to double the speeds in the armpit of New Jersey.....New brunswick really needed the boost , good job at&t:rolleyes:

16. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

The iPhone (even the 3GS) has a crappy upload chip - UMTS HSDPA - which is only capable of 384 Kbps upload.

17. Type X macrumors regular

Not sure if i pick that up in the city but after they announced the iPad i went home to Download some videos and it was INSANELY faster than normal (and i have a 3g) no 3gs. I thought i was hooked up to a wifi.

Hopefully this keeps up going forward, and i was hoping they'd be fixing this!

18. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

19. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Thanks for that - I got a good chuckle out of it:D. My speed in central NJ (near Deal) is way below what others in here are getting in NJ.

Attached Files:

20. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

It is definately spotty. Just 2-3 miles away from wear I get above 3000 kbps I only get between 50 and 500kbps. At least the improvements are rolling out now and its a good sign of what is to come.

21. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

is it only me or am i the only one that has been this fast for about a year already?

22. slaytalera macrumors newbie

still the same speeds in northern NJ...then again a year ago we didnt even have 3G coverage

23. audiofx macrumors regular

Im in eatontown this morning my speeds where avg. 700-800 now i just ran 5 tests and i am up into the 2000-3000 range :) maybe they just lit it up now

24. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

either that or a bunch of people stopped using the network at the same time.

25. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

I'm testing consistently above 3mbit in Fairfax, VA (about 10 miles from where I hit the above test). Seems at least in the DC market things are starting to be rolled out.

Upload still sucks though :-( Haven't been maxing that out ....