Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

AT&T today announced that it has dropped prices on its stocks of refurbished iPhone 3G models while supplies last. Pricing is now set at $49 for 8 GB models and $99 for 16 GB models in both black and white.
New pricing available in AT&T stores for iPhone 3G refurb devices! $49 for 8GB, available in black, and $99 for 16GB, available in black and white. Available in our stores while supplies last. Contact your local AT&T Store to check availability. Search here for a store near you: http://www.wireless.att.com/find-a-store/
The move comes as many AT&T iPhone customers anxiously await the launch of MMS functionality for the iPhone in the U.S.

Article Link: AT&T Drops Refurbished iPhone 3G Prices to As Low As $49

D-Man18360

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2008
I'd love to move up to a 3G (or even 3Gs) phone from my current iPhone, but just don't want to spend the extra $15 a month for the data plan and messaging.

I know AT&T will never charge less for data with all the usage going on, but it would be nice if they could implement a tiered dataplan approach with different price-points.

Comment

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Great...so much for the iPhone being a device for the elite! ;)

In another two years, the iPhone will have gone the way of the Motorola Rzr and anyone and everyone will have one and they'll be handed out for free with the purchase of a plan, in your local Wireless Store that used to be a 7-11 or liquor store.

Comment

iksretep

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2009
Los Angeles
that's nice, but it doesn't apply to all...

Too bad that price doesn't apply to anything else, but a new contract... at which point, why would I want a refurbished phone?

Being what I would call a "faithful" (9 years) customer to AT&T I was recently turned off by their methods of trying to sell me a new iPhone when my 3G stopped working properly.

The touch screen simply turned white at times, and while the rest of the phone was working fine... there was a 50/50 chance that I would get a white screen on my phone. Having the new 3GS side by side with the "white screen" 3G I was able to dial and swipe to answer calls (yes memorizing the position of the buttons as well as having a spare phone helped a lot!) AT&T was so set on selling me a new set ($599) that all the pleas and navigating to websites where it clearly states that refurbs at the time are priced at $99... I was just a few (3) weeks short of my contract renewal... I stormed out... Apple store in Manhattan Beach replaced the phone in under 10 minutes no questions asked (of course they did check for water damage which was not present)

Bottom line - what's the price drop good for??? If you have problems with your iphone, even though at times crowded, visit your Apple store... chances are your problem will be taken care of. As far as AT&T I'm just not sure about the whole pricing methods. I am a faithful customer on auto-pay many times I endured AT&T's billing errors (in their favor of course and had to wait 30 days to refund my money for billing twice)... my begging for the refurb phone did nothing, and the "let's expedite your contract for $18 online" did not apply in the local store... lower the prices of any phone all you want... this may mean absolutely nothing to some of us.

Comment

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
i dont see how this is news... they have had 8GBs for months now... bought my wife a refurbed 8GB from at&t's site for $49

Comment

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
This is nice and all, but it doesn't really affect the real cost of ownership. To do that, they need to offer a smaller data plan. If they offered a "lite" plan at $10 or 15 a month, I'd be all over that. I don't need much because I'm in Wifiland 90% of the time, and I'd love to get rid of my Razr.

Comment

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
I'd love to move up to a 3G (or even 3Gs) phone from my current iPhone, but just don't want to spend the extra $15 a month for the data plan and messaging.

I know AT&T will never charge less for data with all the usage going on, but it would be nice if they could implement a tiered dataplan approach with different price-points.

Exactly the same here - I'll renew a contract on my first gen iPhone if it means keeping the lower data plan. I refuse to pay $15 more for service I already get on an equal phone. Just because it's 3G - that's the excuse for being more. Excuse me though, aren't all phones eventually going to be 3G when Edge is dead? Will it still be $10 more across the board then?...

Comment

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
So you can essentially get an 8GB iPod touch with mic! for $49 and deal with the slightly bigger body vs $199. Not bad at all.

I'm in Florida and still haven't gotten any notification on MMS...anyone have it working yet?

Reppin' the 5 6 Ace! (and 813). Nothin yet my friend.

Comment

trungthiendo

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008
there is a way to upgrade to the 3gs and not pay the extra in data plan charges.

if you still have ur 2g iphone that is.

just upgrade to 3g iphone, call back in and tell them you decided to stick with your 2g iphone and want to go back to the 20$ with 200 txt msg data plan, and just keep using it on the 3g, you'll have access to 3g and all of that jazz

Comment

noTe on iPhone

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
there is a way to upgrade to the 3gs and not pay the extra in data plan charges.

if you still have ur 2g iphone that is.

just upgrade to 3g iphone, call back in and tell them you decided to stick with your 2g iphone and want to go back to the 20$ with 200 txt msg data plan, and just keep using it on the 3g, you'll have access to 3g and all of that jazz

But you won't be able to do any MMS. This was already confirmed.

Comment

dadaiPhone

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2008
refurbish iphone price drop

Good news, but will you need a new or extended contract to get the 49.00 price, Or can you purchase the refurbish iPhone outright?

Comment

crackermac

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
Great...so much for the iPhone being a device for the elite! ;)

In another two years, the iPhone will have gone the way of the Motorola Rzr and anyone and everyone will have one and they'll be handed out for free with the purchase of a plan, in your local Wireless Store that used to be a 7-11 or liquor store.

I look forward to the the day that iPhone is that popular. Increase that market share and the more and more apps and accessories that are built for it. I could care less of it being a status symbol. I love it because its functionality is the best out there.

Comment

trungthiendo

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008
i'm sure the 10 dollar savings a month outweighs the MMS feature by far...

and i'm sure there are 3rd party apps from the store that will let u do MMS or something along those lines.

Comment

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
Read the fine print. AT&T requires you to sign a two-year contract. So, in reality, when you "buy" that $49 phone, you are entering into a binding legal contract with AT&T's attorneys for $69.99 per month for two years. There's a catch to everything. This one is "AT&T style."

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.