AT&T Early Upgrade - iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wakerider017, Sep 12, 2012.

1. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Well I'm the main account holder, been able to get a new iPhone every year at subsidized pricing on pre-order day.

Had the 3G>3GS>4>4S all pre-ordered on the first day for subsidized pricing.

Just went on Apple's site to check eligibility and it says I have to pay $449 for the 16GB model or wait until 05/08/2012 and pay $199.

Did AT&T get rid of the early upgrading for iPhone users?

What are your experiences?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Not happening this year
    They announced the policy change

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

yup

4. SouthsideJohnny macrumors regular

Apparently it's 15 months or less for Small Business accounts (me). I upgraded a year ago last June and checking the ATT site I learn I am 'eligible' for upgrading already. The Apple store's 'check your eligibility' link is no good for SBA's -- it says to contact your account rep. But I just logged into att.com and a link there provided my upgrade status.

5. OriginalClone macrumors 6502

OriginalClone

I just checked *639# and it said I am eligible for an early iPhone upgrade. I've been upgrading my iPhone with AT&T every year since 2008.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Early iPhone upgrade = $250 on top of the subsidized price.

7. SouthsideJohnny macrumors regular

If that's how it works then I'm suddenly not so excited about my 'eligibility'.

8. qnssekr macrumors member

I just check my status using *639# and Att texted me back saying I can upgrade with a new 2yr contract and $36 upgrade fee. I purchased the iPhone 4s last year when it came out. So i'm either thinking they have not updated my account or lucky me. My phone bill is around $90 a month.

9. OriginalClone macrumors 6502

OriginalClone

Ok. Thanks for the clarification. I guess I can always use my second line to get this iPhone or buy it at full price, but I think I'll skip. Nothing really that interesting this time around..

10. wnxgenral macrumors 6502

Ive been boned by this new policy as well but I also called and because I'm a long term customer there is $0 to break my contract... What's stopping me from switching to Verizon and getting the discount? I'd hate to leave AT&T but this is a problem. Why would they screw us like this?

11. maclook macrumors 65816

I'm gonna work some things out and upgrade this year with the crappy "early upgrade" and then I'll stop with the annual upgrades. I'd much rather be on the 3G-4-5 cycle than the 3GS-4S-5S cycle. I know some people are content with being on the "S" cycle and that's cool but I'm the type that wants to have the new design asap. The annual upgrade was fun while it lasted.

12. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

$449 is the early upgrade price.

13. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I might throw my 4S on eBay and see if I can get $450 for it, but if I don't then I won't early upgrade.

14. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

I did the *639# thing and they said I qualified for early upgrade at $449. So, $449 is the early upgrade pricing.

15. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

Yep $199 plus $250(for early upgrade).

16. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Wow.

This exact topic has been discussed in a few hundred threads in the past few days.

Carriers can not afford to do one year upgrades. Costs them way too much money. You signed a 2 year contract and they are holding you to it.

17. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

Your not saying that Verizon would allow you to pay full upgrade pricing every year right? From what I heard, Verizon is more of a stickler than AT&T.

18. aneftp macrumors 601

Depends.

For non iPhones. Like even for Samsung Galaxy S3. My friend essentially got it for "free" as an early upgrade plus $250 early upgrade. So with $36 activation. It costs him $286 plus taxes put the door even though he used his last full upgrade less than 12 months ago.

So reps can budge with non apple devices.

Also the people paying the most. Those individuals who pay $100/month really should get either upgrades ever 12 months or free iPhones ever 2 years. They are the ones paying up theirnu know what.

But most people complaining are on family plans. 60% of people these days are on family plans.

19. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

just dial *639# and it says they can offer me a upgrade with a new 2 year contract AND a $36 upgrade fee? anyone else got the same message?

I checked my upgrade eligibility on apples website and it shows that i could get the new iphone for $199, $299 and $399 respectively

20. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

This really does suck. I feel like Apple and AT&T are both going to underperform with this launch because people aren't as eager to upgrade.

I think I'm either going to pay full retail or early upgrade price and get back on the 3G, 4, 5 cycle. If I'm only going to be able to upgrade every other year, I'd rather it be with the major update rather than the refresh.

21. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Apple will do fine. there is a whole whorde of 3GS, ip4 users who are dying to upgrade.

22. thebadgator87 macrumors member

if you do the $250 extra upgrade doesn't that push your full upgrade date back more?

23. bossxii macrumors 68000

I have a nice crisp $100 bill says the iPhone 5 will sell out on per orders, will sell more units in over the weekend than any other iPhone and will go on to sell more in the first month than any other iPhone. While I understand how people feel one year into a 2 year contract, this is not Apple or AT&T "underperforming" this is just some people that "want" a new iPhone, but don't "want" to pay for it.

24. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I'm confused on mine. The last iPhone I purchased on contract was the iPhone 4 back either October or November in 2010. I canceled that line while I was overseas and started a new one when I came back in March 2012 to get a new number since I moved states as well. Purchased the iPhone 4s off contract while overseas but it says I am not eligible for an upgrade until Oct 2013. Right now my upgrade prices are the same as others $449 for 16GB and so on.

The AT&T rep in the store today said I should be eligible for the full discount when the time comes to preorder. I'm going to give them a call and see what's up.

I should have thought this through a bit more before I sold my 4s today. Oops :(

25. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

Of course they'll do fine. They'll sell millions.

I still feel like not allowing 4S customers to upgrade after a year, as they have done for 2 launches now, is going to to show.